Guess what ?...........A leather hat !!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Submitted for your parusal is my latest effort at making a leather hat, which is a bit of an obsession with me........Movie buffs may recognise the influence ;)

Made from 1.6 mm pit veg tanned split leather, with a firm temper. I didn't want full grain as I was looking for something more rough & ready with a distressed look, unfortunately the camera insists on showing a shiny, 'new looking ' hat which it ain't in reality...
It was sanded on both sides to make it as smooth as possible then dyed with a 'dark oak' alcahol based wood dye.
Because the leather is so stiff I couldn't fold over the brim edges so had to use a binding which, along with the sweat pad & hat band, are made from 1.2mm upholstery leather

Brim width is 8.5 cm all way around & crown height 10cm.
No eyelets as this isn't a bush hat....
I could have wet moulded the brim into shape but as I prefer the option of changing the style depending on my moods I opted for a hefty length of fencing wire which of course can not only hold a given shape but also be shaped 'any which way' I choose.
It has been thoroughly coated in sno-seal.

Now for some piccies.....
side view...
2012_0623tracks0133.jpg

the other side..
2012_0623tracks0132.jpg

The top is made from a seperate piece of 1.6 full grain ...unfortunately is was pre-dyed a sort of orange colour,(advertised as mahogany) which refused to take any kind of dye so I had to rub in 'burnt umber' artists paint to brown it up..

2012_0623tracks0134.jpg

Here you can see the sweat pad & the 6oz sail cloth used for the sweatband..(not finished yet)..I aiso glued some of the same cloth onto the underside of the top, which will add extra rainproofness & makes the leather a little firmer..
I also added a couple of leather tabs with 'antiqued' brass eyelets for the stampede cord.

2012_0623tracks0135.jpg

Looking at it head on ....
2012_0623tracks0136.jpg

As usual with me , in that I only buy 4 sq.ft. of leather at a time, there wasn't enough for the crown so I had to add a sewn panel.......which is also why I had to use a different piece for the top as there wasn't any of the original leather left :D

2012_0623tracks0137.jpg

Incidently the brim is wonky & asymmetric on purpose, those that are in the know will understand..;)

This lid is probably too unpractical to be used as a bush hat but ripe for a bit of steampunking ....if I can find some interesting ideas & designs I might give it a go..

I think I've covered everything.......I'm currently looking around for a nice piece of full grain & I was thinking of doing a little tutorial on how to make a leather bush hat without any special leather tools.......thought it might interest some......

Thanks for listening..

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Movie buffs may recognise the influence ;)

Castaway? Wilson finally gets a hat :D

EDIT: Saw Crocodile Dundee, missed the castaway mash-up :eek:

This lid is probably too unpractical to be used as a bush hat but ripe for a bit of steampunking ....if I can find some interesting ideas & designs I might give it a go..

Brass corks ???

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hahaha,....sorry I'm a bit slow, I've only just got the castaway thing....nice one..

He's my official hat modeler, I only keep him because he agrees to work on saturdays.:)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely Hat very nicely done, gotta say that wood dye really worked for ya, lovely color!!
And about that Tutorial, very much yes, I would like that allot
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE