A couple of Satchels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Fit like bcuk, apologies to those who have been trying to get hold of me. Have been really busy driving around scotland job hunting, and working on a few bits here and there in between. Here are the latest pieces from the temporary workshop I have set up

Here we have two leather satchels, the Reindeer and the Goat, commissioned by some Norwegians I was working for last month :)

The Goat, made for a Capricorn with simple tastes :)

P1110286 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

The Reindeer; made for a Reindeer hunter. Made with two inside compartments to house a pair of binos and glasses case, with a front pocket for a compass. Carved with a Reindeer, the whole bag is also lined with soft Norwegian Reindeer leather.

CIMG5571 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG5572 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG5570 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

The trick with this one was to get everything lined up and the sam brown studs installed before the lining went on, so that the lining covers them to stop them scratching anything inside. I also lined up the stitching of the inner partition with the front pocket, killing two birds with one stone :)

Both satchels were completely handmade, hand carved, hand saddle-stitched with artificial sinew, and dyed with pro oil dye and antique, finished with neatsfoot oil.

I still have to tweak a few things here and there, but overall I'm fairly chuffed.

Thanks for looking
Hamish

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Really lovely work there, how long have you been leatherworking?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Very nice were you a natural or did you have to make a hundred dodgy things to learn? I recently bought enough leather to be making my first sheath with, currently just reading up on techniques and drooling over other peoples masterpieces and will continue to do so for a while yet before i make single cut, only thing i am any good with at the minute working with leather is braiding it and putting holes in it

Dreadhead

Very nice were you a natural or did you have to make a hundred dodgy things to learn? I recently bought enough leather to be making my first sheath with, currently just reading up on techniques and drooling over other peoples masterpieces and will continue to do so for a while yet before i make single cut, only thing i am any good with at the minute working with leather is braiding it and putting holes in it

A bit of both to be honest mate, I seem to take to leather naturally (terrible at working wood). But it takes a lot of practice to get the right knack of things. I am still learning something new everyday :)

Feel free to give me a shout should you want to fire some questions at me

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cool stuff thanks, i've been known to say if you are always learning you'll always be improving, worst thing we can ever do is think we are finished learning anything.

Any tips for anyone just setting out in the hobby/artform? Essential skills to practice?

I can draw well and have a great idea of what i want to make, i guess i'll soon see how much my ideas and drawings turn out in leather

Dreadhead

Cool stuff thanks, i've been known to say if you are always learning you'll always be improving, worst thing we can ever do is think we are finished learning anything.

Any tips for anyone just setting out in the hobby/artform? Essential skills to practice?

I can draw well and have a great idea of what i want to make, i guess i'll soon see how much my ideas and drawings turn out in leather

your certainly right there!

my advice would be to get to grips with your swivel knife, and get comfortable with saddle-stitching. Those are the things I end up using/doing the most ;)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Excellent i feel better about starting now as that is where i was heading and saddlework is what i have been reading up on although no plans to make a saddle, with my first project I want to stitch with 1.5mm leather thong, is this doable/practical or is it sinew and artificial sinew the right path?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE