A couple of Satchels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are both really superb; their new owners will be over the moon with them - I know I would be :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Excellent i feel better about starting now as that is where i was heading and saddlework is what i have been reading up on although no plans to make a saddle, with my first project I want to stitch with 1.5mm leather thong, is this doable/practical or is it sinew and artificial sinew the right path?

stitching with leather thong looks great, but I wouldn't say it is all that practical. You will get a much stronger stitch if you saddle stitch with something like artificial sinew or tiger thread. Saying that i still use lacing here and there where it is appropriate, it just depends where you are using it ;)

get your hands on a copy of al stohlmans 'the art of hand sewing leather' and you wont go wrong

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks Dreadhead it is now saved in my amazon wishlist for payday

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Very cool experience, were you working out there? I need to get out of this country more often

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm intrigued, i need new experiences in my life and i know i am on the edge of doing something most people would consider bonkers in regards to getting new vistas and life skills i just don't exactly know what it will be yet, right now though i'm gonna mek me a cuppa and get stuck into that thread.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Lovley work as usual. I wish my leatherwork was half as good.

GGTBod ; do tell us, Im sure its not as half as bonkers as to what I, the Great Mundane One, have done.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I want to get out of the uk and work on the land or in nature for my bed and board and all the things i will learn and experiences as my pay, i've not tied it down anymore than that as I haven't got a clue where to start looking but i am ready to pack my home in and sell all my stuff that won't be coming with me so that i've got a few quid in the bank if needed.

Any ideas or contacts who could help me approach this?

What did you do that was bonkers?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Does the Working Weekends on Organic Farms do international stuff?

Aside from be born?

tricky, Some would say buying a house when I should have been out and about in the world.

Or about to start a non vocational Uni course

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
have a flick through my write-up, sounds like it is what you are after. Check out WWOOF organisation. it is volunteering for bed and board. I organised my trip through wwoof norway and wwoof sweden but it is all over the world ;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yup, or you can stay at my friends down the road...Hes a member. Hes had people from all over the world come stay.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I just finished reading your thread about Norway, this is exactly what i have been fantasising about when i was stuck in the house for long periods. First thing in the morning with a fresh head i am going to explore the possibility of turning the fantasy into reality, never realised the madness i was dreaming about had a name, wwoofing, it makes googling the subject a useful use of time.

What is it that your friend do Tengu?

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Very nice work Hamish.

If you need somewhere to stay up in Scotland send me a PM, plenty of space to camp in our garden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE