Handled and sheathed a couple of blades....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

As the poor weather continues, I decided to handle and sheath the last two blades that I currently have. One was a zone tempered Lauri PT carbon puukko blade, and the other was a mini Skrama bought recently to use as a carver.

I made the Lauri blade up into what I'm calling a long handled puukko.

26113823488_ca410bb36f_z.jpg

39088069745_836899d13c_z.jpg

The handle is a single piece of curly birch with camel bone plates. Initially the birch didn't seem to have a particularly nice grain pattern, and so once the handle was complete but unfinished, I immersed the handle into a bath of boiled linseed oil for a couple of weeks, and then let it dry for another week in a warm place. When polished up again the pattern was revealed, and I was much happier. Unfortunately I didn't get the gluing of the bone plates to the wood perfect and so there is a visible glue line, but it all seems very solid in use. The blade is super sharp as delivered, and so I didn't do much to it. The sheath includes a lesta in elm, and is made from thinnish veg tan, wet formed with a doubled over lip, and dyed with Fiebings light brown oil dye. The final coat was Resolene acrylic finish, which is a bit shiny, but should help the sheath shrug off rain drops when out and about. The dangler is a simple leather loop with a flat key ring to attach it to the sheath.

I bought the mini Skrama after being impressed with the Terävä Jääkäripuukko 140, which I have had for about a year now. The steel seems very good and holds a nice edge. The mini Skrama came from Varusteleka with a very good edge, so I did everything to avoid messing that up.....

I decided to make the blade up into a carver, because of the size of the blade in the hand. I went with buffalo horn scales and no liners, relying entirely on a nice close fit onto the stainless tubes, all fixed in place with Araldite Crystal. There is a transverse mark in both scales as they were cut from the same piece of horn, but it cannot be felt in use and isn't moving at all.

39986026691_4f26557cc3_z.jpg

39986025611_3a1d3ff69f_z.jpg

25280029437_a81040e36e_z.jpg

40119174022_79d7d3a776_z.jpg

As before, the sheath has a dangler done with a flat keyring. This sheath is made from thicker veg tan (4mm), dyed in light brown, and has a welt on the blade side. The finish in this case is Atom wax (neutral colour), which gives a nice sheen. There are a few other photos in my Flickr showing some build details for those interested.

One or the other will be joining me on my wanders in the archery woods tomorrow for a live test......

Cheers, Bob

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Thanks all for the comments. Both have now proven themselves useful. I dont think I will be doing any more handles/sheaths for a while, as apparently I "have enough", according to SWMBO :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE