Dutch Bushcraft meeting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Rommol, This all sounds like an excellent plan! I didn't dare to dream we could have acces to such a place on such a short notice.
Anyway, I'm in. I just asked my boss the weekend of the 25fth and 26th off, but if everyone votes the weekend of the 17th / 19th I could put up some puppy eyes and switch the dates. I work in an outdoor store so I could say it's in their interest on the long run if I take the time to develop skills and knowledge ;)
About transportation. I may be able to arange a car and pick up 3 other people and hopefully also all their gear. I live in Eindhoven So anyone between Eindhoven and the far north I could pick up. Splitting the gas expenses is much more cheap than by train, bus, etc.
O, and I would love to volunteer to help set this thing up on friday. So anyone who wants to hitch... it's gonna be on friday if all goes well. So Guido, I could probably pick you up.
Gearwise: I have a small hunters axe, but it's not an item worth competing with. No bow, but I would love to shoot one. And I have some rope and climbing gear. but I don't know the state of the rope.

What is the max number op people allowed actually? So far, I count
Porcupine
born2roam
unused[nl]
ddokkum
Ahjno
penvisser
floris
rommol
Elcrest
Geuf

So that's 10 people so far. right? and furthermore I might know some people that are very interested. But if they are and want to come I'll get back to it.
Maybe we should have a poll/vote about the date.

Hope to see you all!

Cheers :D

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
do we count ppl saying on the forum they come as confirmed or only the ppl that emailed rommol? (there is a 9 person gap between those two)

also if you have some not standard books or gear it might be nice to bring that. having a look through stuff or handling something is way better then online reviews

U

unused[nl]

Voted for 17-19 august

Geuf it would be great if I can have ride from eindhoven! I will travel by train to there, bergen op zoom isn't in the north of eindhoven! :p
I will bring my expertise on breaking firesteels with me! hehe
I can also bring some paper birch bark which sxmolloy send me 2 weeks ago! Maybe it's nice to have a look at some English stuff!!
Could also bring my wooden sword, rubber knife, nunchaku if there are some other martial arts fans who can do some stuff with them so we can exchange those techniques also! Are we could have some sparring with the swords ;)
// If any one DON'T want this kind of stuff at a bushmoot you should say it of course! //

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
also if you have some not standard books or gear it might be nice to bring that. having a look through stuff or handling something is way better then online reviews

Aye, will do - if I can make it to the meet (dep. the poll). I've got (amongst) a:
- Groupbuy hammock
- DD hammock (prob. ordering one this month dep. funds)
- Hennessey hammock (I've got a soft spot for hammocks)
- Food for free (book)
- Zebra billy
- Crusader mug
- Crusader mess tin (the one with a lid)
- Clikstand
- Speedhook (survival fishing aid - expected in the post anytime)
- USAF survival book (big-ish) (soon to be delivered at my doorstep)

Ahnjo,

thnx for reminding my fish stuff. I got it from Tornak, haven't had time to play around with it yet. Will just have to load everything in, books, tins, tarps etc :)

Have filled out two dates. This should be doable for me. Only emergencies from my ' diving boss' can alter that now... forget about the office boss ;-)

Hope to see you all there. Coming from a small village near Den Haag I might be able to pick somebody up from a trainstation or different point. Just drop me a pm.

Grtz Johan

rommol

Jun 17, 2007
Leeuwarden,Friesland
well,the terrain is big enough for about 6 big tents or so and trees to hang some hangmats in,the barn and the little house are also available,so if there are 15 people coming,it would be great,when more ,we have an open field nextdoor for another 150 tents,so dont worry.
just tell me who's coming and who needs sleeping place.
there is open fishingwater next to the house but i dont have any fishing stuff.
lets hope the wetter is ok so we can sit outside.
and ...what do we eat and drink?

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
id like to use my tarp/hammock setup, havent got a bivybag yet so if you chop the wrong trees i have a problem :D

ill have a look through my junk to see what i can bring.

siep

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi guys,

don't know for sure if I can make it due to holidays, the lowlands festival and DIYbut if I come I can bring some books (food for free/eetbare planten/world of survival/how to **** in the woods/naked into the wildernis/animal and tracking guides), some DVD-material for viewing (-if there's a computer available to show them- 26 five-minute episodes of Ray Mears track's/survivorman/bear grylls/Mors kochanski), and some miscellaneous stuff (cheap but good hammock from perrysport (including the Falconer's knot!)/3x3 tarp/some cramp ball fungus/homemade fire pistons/and -if i still can find any- thick bamboo for practising the bamboo fire saw)

PS I'll be hammocking

Tom

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
Items ill bring to the meet:

tatonka tarp
groupbuy hammock
groupbuy mozzy net
coleman sleeping bag (poplar classic)
sleeping bag liner
led headlamp
maglite
coleman feather 442 (unleaded fuel burner)
soothstained msr kettle
cotton poncho (dutch army isue,ugly but sparkproof)
lightweight poncho (better waterproof,space for backpack etc. now if only it was sparkproof...)
ferrorod (unbroken version ;) )
self made knife
firesteel and flint
small char cloth making wachamacallit
cotton for char cloth making
some amadou (dried only,not yet boiled in woodash)
collapsible saw (if only to show you realy dont want one)

optional books i can bring along

sas survival guide, lofty wiseman (mini)
eetbare wilde planten,winkler prins (dutch version of food for free by richard mabey,mini)
eetbare planten,dagmar lanska
paddestoelen,winkler prins (mini)
essential bushcraft,ray mears
outdoor survival handbook,ray mears
bushcraft,mors kochanski
traditional bowyers bible I,II and III
a cook on the wild side,hugh fearnley-whittingstall
diersporengids,brown/lawrence/pope (animals of britain and europe)
anwb knopenboek,gordon perry (knots)
first year of the BCUK magazine
anwb veldgids sterrenkijken,storm dunlop (night sky)
basic butchering of livestock and game,john j mettler
wilderness evasion, michael chesbro
basic essentials,weather forecasting,michael hodgson
making arrows the old way,doug wallentine
finding your way without map or compass,harold gatty
deadfalls & snares,a.r.harding

what would i like to see myself?

crampballs
firepiston
firebow demonstration (still working on that one myself)
swandri clothing (i keep hearing its good but touchie feely person here)
ventile clothing

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
like to see me some swandri and some ventile clothing as well. But I haven't got a clue what I'll bring. prob. some of the regular stuff. maybe my singlearched bivybag. Anyway, today I got some photo's of the location. some people (including me) where very nosy about them so here they are:

S6001827_800600.JPG

S6001841_800600.JPG

S6001829_800600.JPG

S6001833_800600.JPG

S6001836_800600.JPG

S6001837_800600.JPG

S6001838_800600.JPG

S6001842_800600.JPG

S6001843_800600.JPG

S6001845_800600.JPG

S6001846_800600.JPG

S6001848_800600.JPG

Well, voted for 31-2 september...

I really have'nt much gear to bring, exept maybe

Army issue poncho (not fireproof, but usable in lots of ways)
Frost Training knife
Coleman feather stove
firesteel ;)

Anyway, lets see what the poll says in the end.

Greets
Elc

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i am in the uk though may very well be able to get over in the later august dates .
as its the first meet i would not worry too much on what can be learnt .
once you have met for the first time you can get an idea of the skills which people can bring and arrange future events acordingly and also start a network which may be able to find out other places to have regular meets.
the most important thing is to meet up and that will start the process of something more refined evolving

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Interesting! I only discovered this thread just now :p

Anyways, I guess I'm interested :) Not sure if I can come though. I don't have the time atm to read the whole thread but I'll do that when I get back (this sunday) from a small camping trip ;)

By the way, if possible, I'd love to see a clickstand!

Dont have much gear either by the way, not bushcraft related anyways.

I can show you the groupbuy hammock :)

rommol

Jun 17, 2007
Leeuwarden,Friesland
I agree with William,

Its not too important what you all can bring,its the first meeting,just come and enjoy yourself,whatever you bring.
As dutch people we dont have to much forrest to have survivalweekends,but its always interesting to know something about it.
Let's have a meeting and a beer and see what comes next later.
as you can see,my place is a big "garden",half cultivated,and some trees to hang in,some fields around and the mudlands(waddensea) and fishwater nextdoor.
When somebody could bring a nice bow...i like it,mine is broke,we could have a contest.
everybody that wants to come,please leave a message in my email,so i can count heads(for the beer and so)
later we decide what food to buy and what to look for.

greetings Mol.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Anybody driving over there from Wales or London? I'd love to come along but need a lift, obviously I'll split all the expenses

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE