Dufflecoats advice/experiences

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
No I,m not going back to school,I was wondering if could you possibly give some advice or share experiences.

I fancy a traditional black one to match my duffle bag.

cheers

Phil

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Very comfy in the desert, apparently.

sterlingchat9nb.jpg

:)

Last edited:

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Have not given the old duffle coat a thought for years now. Did have a Donkey jacket that was a works issue to my father when he worked on the locos, dont think i have ever owned a jacket that was as warm in the winter.Sad you dont see them around for sale now.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ive got an old BR donkey jacket and its very heavy and very warm.Still got its original buttons.Alas i have expanded over the years and its a bit snug now!
Theres a few on the ebay if you want that retro binman look..

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
duffle coats are excellent coats, tho the old navy surplus ones are hard to come by. You occasionally see good ones in charity shops (I saw a corker a couple of months ago, but waaaay too large for me sadly) but to buy a good 'un new you're probably looking at £200+. You could try vintage clothing dealers, some of them carry them.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've got a beautiful one for sale if anyone's interested. I'm no good at describing colours but I'd say it's camel brown, large, in perfect nick. It's the real deal, pm me if you're after one.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have a black Gloverall duffel I bought about four years ago. Brilliant bit of kit in this weather. They are the original company that supplied the forces. Still amde in the UK.

It's one of the ones with the "horn" toggles rather than the wooden ones and I love it. You do get comments like "Ooh look, it's Paddington" though!

Normally they don't come cheap but I got my direct from Slater's menswear after a chat with their buyer. Got it about £130. Just looked the coat up on the web and they seem to be around £230 so I reckon I got a good deal.

The only problem I've found is that with the hood down, the wind whistles around your neck as there is no collar to turn up so I need a decent scarf in this weather.

If you get one, you'll have it for life and won't regret it!

Gareth

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Think I.ll wait till the summer sales during the heatwaves.As Galopede said it will be for a lifetime hopefully, giving up on the duffle bag though.

Phil

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
My son has one, I've not worn one since they were hippy fashion. :rolleyes:

Anyway my son's is made by Ted Baker and seems like much better quality than the ones I wore to school way back when. Probably cost ten times as much too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE