Dual Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I love it.

Only problem is I hate how they sensationalise stuff. But I suppose that is media for you. How many times do we need to be told Cody doesn't wear shoes?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Par for the course with any Discovery produced show. Bears programme and Austin Stevens progs are testament to that. Sensationalism and staged programming en masse. Still, entertaining though, as long as you take it for what it is.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I suppose it was more of a shock in Dual Survival as Dave Canterbury and Cody Lundin both seem so bare bones, knowledgeable and practical on their own films. You kinda come to expect it more of some people..

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I caught Dual Survival the first time around and enjoyed it very much. I quickly began to admire Cody's pragmatic approach to most things but I was a little disappointed in Dave Canterbury as I'd seen quite a bit of him on YouTube. In the Dual show he didn't come across as very capable to me and even seemed a little panicky.

I agree about not taking these shows too seriously though. You have to remember that the main priority for these people is to make an entertaining television show. They won't sacrifice that objective to make a simulated situation seem more realistic. It has to be hammed up.

Les Strouds shows are my favourite of this type but even he hypes things up sometimes. Also very often he'll make a decision based on good filmmaking rather than good survival strategy.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
Hmmm, I dunno.
Theres something about Cody,

I fully appreciate his knowledge, skill, and his off the grid mindset.

But he has a smidge of hippy newage about him,:240:

I cant take hime seriously.

Dave's Ok, kinda military, loves an animal to gut and cook.

Oh Man, Woman Wild was a farce, had me laughing :D

Goat

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Have to agree Redneck I love Dual Survival and didn't like man, woman, wild either

You have to appreciate Myke Hawkes very very subtle sarcasm and ironic humour. For a true US representative, his humour is very British. That makes the show for me. He takes it all in his stead with tongue firmly in cheek, which pokes at the survival TV show aspect of what he is doing.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Is it just me or does anyone else just turn off mentally when they hear "survival situation"?

Just drives me crazy and if you had a shot of whiskey every time he said it, you'd be on the floor by the end of each episode.

I do find these shows with more than one person more entertaining though simply because there are times when it's obvious one of the 2 wants to kill the other.
I think it was the last show of season 2 where they were near the clapped out car, Cody was adamant about banging away on that car, every time he did it it drove Dave crazy, good stuff.

The first season of that man woman, wild was ok, the 2nd season just seemed very heavily scripted.

Still i'd sooner watch both seasons than 1 episode of anything with Bear Grylls in.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
I really enjoyed Dual survival, although I agree Man, woman wild was better, my wife lived that one too so we could watch it together...

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I caught Dual Survival the first time around and enjoyed it very much. I quickly began to admire Cody's pragmatic approach to most things but I was a little disappointed in Dave Canterbury as I'd seen quite a bit of him on YouTube. In the Dual show he didn't come across as very capable to me and even seemed a little panicky.
I agree. I enjoyed Dual survival but didn't really like the military macho style (or the hippie style) but when i resently watched Daves videos om facetube he comes across completely different. I really like him.

I like both the shows,

I have been following Dave C for a while now, I was a student on the Virtual Classroom Way before Discovery...
The only thing i didn't like was on an episode od Dual Survival when Dave made a water filter out of Cancer Stick Butts....... I come on what was he thinking....

You have to appreciate Myke Hawkes very very subtle sarcasm and ironic humour. For a true US representative, his humour is very British. That makes the show for me. He takes it all in his stead with tongue firmly in cheek, which pokes at the survival TV show aspect of what he is doing.

I honestly wish that were true but I fear you credit him with too much intelligence, have you seen him in One Man Army?? " GOOOOOO HOT!!!!!" what a load of tripe!!!
His wife is actually much better than he is in MWW..

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I honestly wish that were true but I fear you credit him with too much intelligence, have you seen him in One Man Army?? " GOOOOOO HOT!!!!!" what a load of tripe!!!
His wife is actually much better than he is in MWW..

You can't knock his intelligence. You can however, knock his choice of TV appearances and presenting choices. Some are so beyond bad it makes Falcon Crest look good.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Mykel "Myke" Hawke (born November 29, 1965) is a retired U.S. Army Special Forcesofficer.[SUP][1][/SUP] He is best known for his role in the Discovery Channel series Man, Woman, Wild, where he co-stars with his wife, Ruth England, a British television presenter and actress. He is the author[SUP][2][/SUP] of several books, most recently Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in biology from New York University and a Master of Science degree in psychology from the University of California, Santa Barbara.

From Wikipedia...

He's not daft and the cash will be comming in from Discovery....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE