Dual Survival!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Not new episodes, there is already a topic about this somewhere. Cody posted on his website that the new episodes will air 1st of Jan 2013. Dave is no longer in the show, they got a new co host to join Cody. Just about all episodes from season 1 & 2 can be found on youtube apart from 2 or 3.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Don't know how to show a "Sky" link - but I'm sure you'll find it on youtube - I don't know about it being "NOT NEW" but tonites episode in the swamps, I ain't seen that one before!!! :)

leon-1

I thought this was a new series? I've Sky + it so will watch later in the week but I'm with knife fan on this, and it was certainly advertised as a new series on The Discovery Channel? :confused:

It's not a new series, that episode is on youtube. It's not a bad series and always gives me a little bit of a chuckle when I see things that I teach being demonstrated.

I had heard that Dave C wasn't going to be in the new series, it's a bit of shame as he did work very well with Cody and it made entertaining and informative viewing. Two different styles / approaches to survival, having to work together, very different instructors and opinions.

Cody being a primitive living skills instructor whereas Dave approaches things in a military survival manner.

In the first 2 series they complemented one another rather well, credit being given when it was due (Dave C does state in one of the episodes that "Cody is the man when it comes to primitive fire techniques and if anyone can get a fire going in these conditions it'll be Cody."). It was also good in the very first episode when Cody built something similar to a super shelter, Dave was quite impressed with it and said so. Cody would defer to Dave's judgement especially when he didn't think he could bring something to the party.

People could learn a lot more from a couple of episodes than they ever would by watching every episode of Born Survivor IMHO.

Cody and Dave also did an episode for "Shark Week" which was actually very good and also available on YouTube, not a lot to do with survival or bushcraft, but entertaining.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I think this is a new season in the UK but was on in the US about 6 months ago, thats how they ended up on youtube. The new new season starts in the US in Jan IIRC

I'm a big fan of Dave C and watch some of his youtube stuff and particularly like the fact he doesnt edit out his mistakes. However there are some who don't like him in the US, partly due to his business approach but with dual survival because they think he lied about his military records.

He was quoted as special forces when he was an M.P who had done some some special forces training programs.

Why somebody has to be special forces to be a survival/ bushcraft instructor I will never know but I also agree he worked very well with Cody, I wonder if they still talk?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Why somebody has to be special forces to be a survival/ bushcraft instructor I will never know but I also agree he worked very well with Cody, I wonder if they still talk?

Especially when you consider that the most effective military survival schools are run for aircrew rather than SF. (More liklihood of being shot down in hostile territory)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Watched ep.1, ser.1 last night, the one where they are marooned on a Canadian island. I liked what they were doing and how they interacted, but the overly dramatic music, the constant scene repeats and idiotic narration, marred what would have been a great show, IMHO.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Watched ep.1, ser.1 last night, the one where they are marooned on a Canadian island. I liked what they were doing and how they interacted, but the overly dramatic music, the constant scene repeats and idiotic narration, marred what would have been a great show, IMHO.

very true about the dramatisation it definitly ruins it a little. but Cody just cracks me up every episode i love his approach to things he makes the show for me

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
When I first watched the show I took them for an old gay couple, what an original idea I thought, their lover's tiffs really worked............what a disappointment when I found out that they wern't 'an item'..............Without that originality they're just copying other shows of a similar nature, going out somewhere remote,( i.e. less than 2 Km from a busy road,) with a film crew, pretend to be starving after a day's hike , kill a critter or two, eat a few plants & arrive at a place where, surprise, surprise, rescue is at hand. The more I watch these cloned shows,the more I realise just how good & innovative Les Stroud's 'survivorman' was.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
When I first watched the show I took them for an old gay couple, what an original idea I thought, their lover's tiffs really worked............what a disappointment when I found out that they wern't 'an item'..............Without that originality they're just copying other shows of a similar nature, going out somewhere remote,( i.e. less than 2 Km from a busy road,) with a film crew, pretend to be starving after a day's hike , kill a critter or two, eat a few plants & arrive at a place where, surprise, surprise, rescue is at hand. The more I watch these cloned shows,the more I realise just how good & innovative Les Stroud's 'survivorman' was.

For me personally, no one beats Les Hiddins "Bushtucker Man". No drama, just Les, telling it like it is. A great personality imparting years of hard earned and hard won wisdom, in a no nonsense way. You listened to Les and you learned. I'm not knocking Dave and Cody, they are both great exponents of their craft, but the production values suck. The great dumbing down some would argue, I don't know, It just spoils the show for me.:rant::sad6::thankyou:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE