DRUS Paracord Bracelet Adaptation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
TIAT (Tying It All Together) of Youtube posted a video online of this design of his, named the DRUS, or Double Ripcord Utility Strap. It's made from two 8 feet lengths of 550 Paracord. However, if you watch the video, you should see that it was never intended to be a bracelet. He ties off the loops, but doesn't elaborate on making it into a bracelet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBFRX5J_XCI

It's prudent here to discuss me and paracord bracelets. I love them. Love making them. Love learning how to make them. Love actually using one in the field. Hate the King Cobra/Solomon design. Why? Inch for inch, yes it stores a fair bit of cord. Yes it is an easy knot to do and can be improved upon endlessly. It's downfall, and the reason I don't like it, is that it is a pain to undo. For me, the effort involved outweighs it's emergency use. That said, it is still good, but not for me.

Instead, I chose the sinnet design for my paracord bracelets. Like this:

wp000159l.jpg

Here's a dual color one to help define the pattern:

wp000162a.jpg

For those unaware of it, the sinnet design works on the notions of loops going through loops. Each loop secures the one after it. The beauty of it is, because the leading end of your string never fully passed through the eye of the loop, then by pulling on the ends of the cord you can release a loop, which releases another. Jump to 4:00 of this tutorial to see just what that accomplishes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3VUpL1tGhI

Now, the sinnet in the form above, which is also what the second video shows, stores about 6 feet of cord. Not much. But you can double it up. To this:

wp000164t.jpg

The loop and lanyard knot for tying it to the wrist:

wp000165.jpg

wp000166t.jpg

This'll store about 10 -12 feet of 550 Paracord. The same applies for this bracelet as for the one above. Pull each end, and it technically unzips. However, like the King Cobra/Solomon, and each other, some preparation is needed before you can unzip it. Namely, you have to cut, or undo a knot before it'll unravel.

So we get to the DRUS. Hopefully, you watched the video above. If not, here's what it looks like:

wp000153w.jpg

A close-up of the design:

wp000157.jpg

Essentially, this is just a doubled up version of the double sinnet. Simply put, it holds a hell of a lot of cord. 16 feet or so. It's also rather bulky, so perfect if you wanted a belt.

Now, I didn't realize till halfway through making this that a) unlike the sinnet designs, or the KC/Solomon design, there was no loop created to pull a knot through and attach it onto the wrist, and b) if I make a lanyard knot at the other end (of course, provided I had a loop to put it through at the other end), it is still as unwieldy to undo and use in a quick situation. So I set about actually thinking about the design, rather than just copying people do it.

What I have, is this (unfinished and refined, so ignore the extra cord :p):

The loop:

wp000155t.jpg

If you can see, two overhand knots prevent the loops undoing out of the top. The loop itself is prevented from sliding down and out by the fact that when of the wrist, the knot on the other end of the bracelet will be looped through it.

The knot:

wp000158.jpg

I tied a double fisherman's knot here. Together they form a mass big enough to hold the bracelet together when through the loop at the other end of the bracelet.

The two overhand knots at the loop end allow easy gripping of the cord to start the pull, and the fisherman's knot will effectively hold the two separate colours of cord when fully undone to effectively bind them together and use the bracelet's full potential length.

An example of undoing the loops using the overhand knots for grip:

The overhand knots:

wp000169m.jpg

Gripping the overhand knot and pulling the loop out

wp000171c.jpg

The loop is now loose, and you can see the loop on the other side of the bracelet just itching to go:

wp000172l.jpg

Once that loop has been pulled fully free, you can how much cord it hides:

wp000173h.jpg

I would have pulled the whole thing apart to show you, but I just made the ruddy thing! Hopefully I haven't confused anybody too much. I just thought it was a nice little innovation. The videos should help, I hope.

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE