Copper Bracelet Wearers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
There is lots of literature about the placebo (and nocebo) effect. The New Scientist publication “Nothing” has a couple of articles about it. In the opening one a co-author takes part in an electric shock placebo experiment fully understanding what is happening and still found the placebo effect worked on him.

Reactions: nigelp and Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As a side note; the placebo effect is a curse in medical testing, usually they just drop the "assumed" placebo. I am not quite certain that it always follows a proper procedure.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I think that we are suggesting that it doesn’t matter if copper bracelets are having a placebo effect. They might still be working.
In that same book, “Nothing”, there is a story of a woman who, after a trial, discovered that she’d receive a placebo and desperately toured chemists asking for some. I don’t think she was successful.

• Haha

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So everyone choosing to wear these bracelets are either falling for the hype or benefiting from a quasi/placebo effect?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I feel naked without my wedding ring, and I don't feel right to go out, even just to the shops, without my earrings in.....I have three in each ear, usually gold studs, sometimes silver, never bronze or copper though. It just feels better when they're all on.
I suspect that folks that wear the copper bangles for a bit, or a watch constantly, don't feel 'right' without those either.
Whether that's a placebo effect or not, I don't know, but there is a definite, "Yes, that's better", sort of feeling to wearing them.
Habit, familiarity ? :dunno:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
After I told my sister that i'd been having a bit of arthritis trouble, last Christmas she gave me a brass bangle that she inherited from my mother, which I'd forotten about but which I knew my mother used to wear in the hope that it might help with her aches and pains.

I wore it for about six months. Apart from a greenish shadow developing around my wrist I noticed no effect at all. I don't wear it any more but it's sitting by my keyboard now as a reminder.

Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
So everyone choosing to wear these bracelets are either falling for the hype or benefiting from a quasi/placebo effect?
I think that the operative phrase in your post is, “……benefiting from…..”

There is nothing “quasi” about the placebo effect. Reduced perception of pain is reduced pain!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
After I told my sister that i'd been having a bit of arthritis trouble, last Christmas she gave me a brass bangle that she inherited from my mother, which I'd forotten about but which I knew my mother used to wear in the hope that it might help with her aches and pains.

I wore it for about six months. Apart from a greenish shadow developing around my wrist I noticed no effect at all. I don't wear it any more but it's sitting by my keyboard now as a reminder.
Some brass contains lead. Brass also contains nickel, both lead and nickel can cause skin allergies, and lead is poisonous. Quantities of lead can vary from none to several percent.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Two things I never go far without. Glasses and watch. I am Mr magoo without glasses but the watch is a funny one. With it a rarely check the time without it and I get a bit antsy to check the time. It's not that it's better with it, it's just that time becomes a cause of anxiety without a watch. I hate being late and my life revolves around time in the week. Time to get up, to leave the house, to catch the train to get to work, to have first break, time for lunch, time for that meeting, time to call someone, etc. That leaves a need for time device. I prefer not to use phones for time as they're bulky things these days. I can't use my laptop at work because I'm not at my desk all the time. A watch is the practical device.

However, I don't quite know whether I feel better with it than without it. I would love to be without it. I've been wearing n one since 10 yo. I even believe wearing watches has made the wrist I wear it on narrower than the other but that could be the difference between dominant hand and non dominant hand whose wrist my watch goes on.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think that the operative phrase in your post is, “……benefiting from…..”

There is nothing “quasi” about the placebo effect. Reduced perception of pain is reduced pain!

Understood. I shall police my words more exacting moving forward.
So as you claim you write for a scientific paper the following should be an easy question to answer.

Can Copper be absorbed into the body via Skin contact?

I ask ( I appreciate its Wiki )

1693805320629.png

So Zinc another very useful trace element and capable of being absorbed via the Skin. Yes comparing apples to pears I appreciate but maybe those scoffing at the notion that absorption via the skin is not possible may re-evaluate that idea and their manners.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Understood. I shall police my words more exacting moving forward.
So as you claim you write for a scientific paper the following should be an easy question to answer.

Can Copper be absorbed into the body via Skin contact?

I ask ( I appreciate its Wiki )

View attachment 82081

So Zinc another very useful trace element and capable of being absorbed via the Skin. Yes comparing apples to pears I appreciate but maybe those scoffing at the notion that absorption via the skin is not possible may re-evaluate that idea and their manners.
You may or not be aware of pubmed already but I think you would like it.

Pubmed.gov

A search of ‘ copper absorption skin’ might prove useful.

This, for example.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35427767/

I’ve just seen there’s a paper on copper and zinc levels in people with vitiligo - might lead somewhere for you?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Two things come to mind....the skin of the wrist is not the mucosal membrane.....and those reports indicate that the Beryllium alloy seems to be the issue when the metals do touch the skin....and Be is toxic.~But then, too much copper leads to brain and liver damage. Usually the body excretes extra in bile, but apparantly it doesn't need much to screw it up.

M

Reactions: ESpy

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Remembered from fairly long ago: Cu and Zn have a kind of balance and amounts that might be slightly toxic can be avoided if the balance is correct or there abouts.

Many metals apparently can be absorbed through skin but as I understand it not as metals but in ionic form. So something first has compound it before it can be absorbed.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Two things I never go far without. Glasses and watch. I am Mr magoo without glasses but the watch is a funny one. With it a rarely check the time without it and I get a bit antsy to check the time. It's not that it's better with it, it's just that time becomes a cause of anxiety without a watch. I hate being late and my life revolves around time in the week. Time to get up, to leave the house, to catch the train to get to work, to have first break, time for lunch, time for that meeting, time to call someone, etc. That leaves a need for time device. I prefer not to use phones for time as they're bulky things these days. I can't use my laptop at work because I'm not at my desk all the time. A watch is the practical device.

However, I don't quite know whether I feel better with it than without it. I would love to be without it. I've been wearing n one since 10 yo. I even believe wearing watches has made the wrist I wear it on narrower than the other but that could be the difference between dominant hand and non dominant hand whose wrist my watch goes on.
Time for a pocket watch.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I am not a biologist.
Further, I am not scoffing.
I am intrigued.
Thus far, the placebo effect of wearing a copper bracelet is observable. Other effects less so.

I would repeat my view that a placebo benefit is no lesser recourse than ingesting medicinal substances by whichever route.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Surely as soon as your relying on placebo effects, then the material the bangle is made from becomes irrelevant.

It's only because someone says a copper bangle works, that copper bangles became a thing. It's a meme.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Surely as soon as your relying on placebo effects, then the material the bangle is made from becomes irrelevant.

No. There is a body of opinion behind the choice of copper that contributes to the effect in the same way that a clinical academic environment contributes to the effect of a little white sugar pill.

Recently various exotic metals and minerals have been put forward as bracelets. Magnets and crystals are also on sale. We just don’t have a body of experiential information to know how effective these have been.

I believe that it might be possible to inform myself that another material is having the desired effect. I might try that experiment. Maybe a silk cord bracelet - but right now I’m not suffering symptoms :( :)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
As an individual you probably can't. But your group, tribe, society can convince you. It's already happened with you wearing copper bangles.

Snake oil will have a placebo effect, it's just because your group has assigned a negative connotation to snake oil, you don't take it because it makes you stand out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE