Copper Bracelet Wearers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone wear a Copper bracelet ( or other metal?? ) and believe it provides actual benefit ?
Have you had an ailment - then worn a Bracelet and found the symptoms have subsided?

I'm not sure if absorbing metal via the dermal layer actually works but my mind is open.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've wore 1 for yr's as I have Arthritis in my left wrist from a daft accident in my long distant youth.
just 1 of the cheap silicone ebay jobs and when it isn't worn I do find that there is more of a dull ache, of course it maybe my head telling me it hurts as I'm so used to wearing it but if it helps which I reckon it does I'm still going to wear it.
If I don't I'll have to wear another watch as I'm that used to seeing it.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have been wearing a copper bangle for the last 20+ years, the current one is a bit of copper bar from eBay bent to shape. Does it make a difference? Not a clue…. But I’m not going to take it off. Just in case.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I've worn one for more years than i care to remember and I don't feel dressed if i'm not wearing it, when i first started wearing it the aches seemed to disappear, whether that was a placebo effect or not i don't know, if it has any long term health benefits or not i really can't say as the anti arthritis drugs i'm on do a far better job these days, but as my Consultant Rheumatologist said to me "it can't hurt to wear it".

Reactions: dwardo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried, but turned blue. I don't recall feeling any better for wearing it, but the blue got a tad out of hand, looked like I'd a bruised band round my arm, so I gave it up.
Tried again with a woven design one of copper wire, and ended up looking like a very faded tattoo.

You'd think that if it worked then surely a vitamin pill with a good mix of minerals and metals added....in tiny quantities....would do the same job.

Reactions: ged

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I tried, but turned blue. I don't recall feeling any better for wearing it, but the blue got a tad out of hand, looked like I'd a bruised band round my arm, so I gave it up.
Tried again with a woven design one of copper wire, and ended up looking like a very faded tattoo.

You'd think that if it worked then surely a vitamin pill with a good mix of minerals and metals added....in tiny quantities....would do the same job.

It does. I'm not sure if you're gently baiting me Toddy? :)

Yes, copper supplements are a thing.
My thought process was IF copper can be absorbed via the dermatitis then what about other metals?

If one was Iron deficient would an Iron bangle do the same?
Silver is supposed to have antimicrobial benefits but we tend to mock those that ingest Silver.

I guess I'm just wondering IF wearing certain combinations of metal in direct contact with the skin CAN provide positive benefits then the financial outlay for a bangle is far less than the ongoing reliance on certain supplements to achieve the same result.

Iron , copper , are micro nutrients so we don't need much of it but if its missing its noticeable.

( someone please correct me if wrong )

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Metallic copper like silver have quite strong antibacterial properties. I don't quite see how a bracelet would give any help though in that respect.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wear a lot of copper jewellery but as the village leatherworker I am too poor for silver, let alone gold.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It does. I'm not sure if you're gently baiting me Toddy? :)

Yes, copper supplements are a thing.
My thought process was IF copper can be absorbed via the dermatitis then what about other metals?

If one was Iron deficient would an Iron bangle do the same?
Silver is supposed to have antimicrobial benefits but we tend to mock those that ingest Silver.

I guess I'm just wondering IF wearing certain combinations of metal in direct contact with the skin CAN provide positive benefits then the financial outlay for a bangle is far less than the ongoing reliance on certain supplements to achieve the same result.

Iron , copper , are micro nutrients so we don't need much of it but if its missing its noticeable.

( someone please correct me if wrong )

No, I do take your point about slow absorption through the skin. I don't think it goes through the skin though.
I know that my 'blue' was simply a chemical reaction.
I use copper as a mordant for dyeing. If you take scrap copper....off cuts from plumbing, that sort of thing, and put it in a jar with some vinegar, you'll get a blue liquid. That liquid is quite toxic in concentration but it's a great mordant. If you do the same to the copper but use ammonia you'll get an ink blue liquid. Looks wonderful, but it's really toxic. Brilliant for fixing colours, or altering pale ones to deeper greens and blues.

So, my skin going blue told me that my skin acidity was reacting with the metal, and since I didn't fancy the blue becoming permanent, I took off the bangle.

I believe that if you eat a healthy diet, with green stuff in it, then you'll obtain enough copper to maintain health without pills.

The vitamin pills are an easy option for many though.

Personally I just eat the weeds :) and nuts and mushrooms. I can't manage the recommended shellfish, not if I don't want to be very unwell.

I still think the bangles/bracelets are appealing, but I can't wear them, and I don't recall noticing any difference on or off.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wear a lot of copper jewellery but as the village leatherworker I am too poor for silver, let alone gold.

I have a huge roll of silver plated copper wire....3mm thick.....that I meant to do something clever with years ago. Never got around to it. If you think you can use it, I will put it beside the weaving wool for you, and somehow or other get it to you.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our water is really soft, no limescale.
I freaked out on holiday down south at the crud inside the kettle ! o_O
I'd never seen it before.

On a side note, since I was doing so much dyeing, I contacted the local sewage works to check that my rinsing of the mordants wasn't going to be a problem. @Jared has the right of it. The engineer responsible for the quality of the outflow from the works in the county came to have a blether. He said that copper leeched from domestic central heating systems, etc., and they'd things set up to deal with it, so my mordanting, so long as I used my mordant to exhaustion, wouldn't be a problem.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Just a thought with no science behind it.
This thread is discussing copper as a medicinal material.
My first thought about different metals was: if you wear two metals and sweat (salty electrolyte) do you get an EMF (electromotive force, voltage)
Next thought was is there an emf between the copper and trace iron in say: blood? Or other metals in the system?

My last thought (so far) was: if there is an emf, what effect does it have if any?

Would I be hijacking the thread of I mentioned magnets? If so please ignore.

I have to say that I wouldn’t use a medicinal bracelet myself but I do wear a plastic med-id bracelet and feel undressed and different without it - but that’s only when it wears out and snaps. It doesn’t come off for any other reason. (Sucks thumb furiously)

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
My first thought about different metals was: if you wear two metals and sweat (salty electrolyte) do you get an EMF (electromotive force, voltage)
You do get a very slight current generated and therefore electrolytic corrosion with dissimilar metals:

There are makers who reckon that sleeving the ring with silver solves everything, but that does presuppose you've got the finger you're wearing the ring on permanently extended to avoid touching adjacent fingers...

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I thought the purpose of copper bracelets was that the copper helped to channel your positive energy or something like that. Kind of like crystal therapy vibrations. Works expecially well if you sit in a ley line node and chant.

I once sat next to a billionaire, I hoped that some of his money would homeopathically come to me. It didn't but that job ended and I had to sign on shortly afterwards.

If your bracelet works then I've got a magic amulet that will give you immunity from attack by nessie, black cats and the yeti. I've worn one for years and never been attacked by them so must be true. Yours for the bargain, 50% off price of £39.99!

Placebo effect works even if you don't believe in it working. It's a strange effect that you might as well go along with as not if it actually does you no harm. You just need to make sure it's not harming you or stopping you from seeking medical help if needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE