Droning drones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Lol!!
I did buy one and flew it about indoors for fun.
It crashed, and a bit fell off it which I never found. I still have it somewhere, and intend to repair it one day.
My feeling is: if a drone's legality is in question, it might be legal to shoot it down if it is annoying, with an air rifle.
If people attach cameras to them and fly it next to my house windows, legal or not I will try and destroy the drone.
Providing drones are used without offending people, why not?
I see great potential for drones use by the military.

"My feeling is: if a drone's legality is in question, it might be legal to shoot it down if it is annoying, with an air rifle."

Alright Quigley...

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I do genuinely think flying one around cul-de-sacs around peoples houses is weird...

I mean if you walked around a neighborhood with a big set of binos and a long lens camera people would question whether you're a pervert..

We flew ours the other day in the middle of nowhere and ventured across a tent, turned 180 and headed away, purely because clearly person was trying to get away from folks and into nature...so not nice to intrude!

Reactions: nigelp

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I do genuinely think flying one around cul-de-sacs around peoples houses is weird...

I mean if you walked around a neighborhood with a big set of binos and a long lens camera people would question whether you're a pervert..

We flew ours the other day in the middle of nowhere and ventured across a tent, turned 180 and headed away, purely because clearly person was trying to get away from folks and into nature...so not nice to intrude!

But as long as you are on Public access ground you'd ( rightly/wrongly ) be within the realms of having the Law on your side.

If some one then approached that person and a physical interaction occurred the law would be against the person initiating it. ( again - rightly/wrongly )

I was more bemused by the self confidence to shoot a moving drone with an air rifle . If thats the case I'm taking that man down to the local Fun Fair to win me a big cuddly bear from the dodgy duck shoot tent!!! :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think one of these would be better - then you could sell the captured item :)

C'mon Broch - You know thats not going to work,

What you need is your own Vigilant Neighbour Hood watch Anti-Drone Drone to securely patrol the skies over your immediate neighbour hood and program it to constantly perform a CAP over your house and engage any Drones that are not recognised as part of the neighbourhood defence drone platoon.

Problem solved.

( I'm off to Dragons den.. )

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
But as long as you are on Public access ground you'd ( rightly/wrongly ) be within the realms of having the Law on your side.

If some one then approached that person and a physical interaction occurred the law would be against the person initiating it. ( again - rightly/wrongly )

I was more bemused by the self confidence to shoot a moving drone with an air rifle . If thats the case I'm taking that man down to the local Fun Fair to win me a big cuddly bear from the dodgy duck shoot tent!!! :)
Have you shot an air rifle before? More than capable I reckon.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have you shot an air rifle before? More than capable I reckon.

Yes mate , I have since I was young , along with firearms.
The only thing i'd fancy my chances of hitting a MOVING ( even slightly ) drone would be a moderated shot gun - Hushpower.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We try to be very respectful with our flying and not bother people with it. I would say we follow all the rules, 99.9% of the time, I've been told that it's illegal to fly on Dartmoor...so naturally..ahem...we have never flown it there..and if we did we'd never fly it near animals or anywhere that would bother others... But it's a pretty new toy with not many hours under the belt, so we're pretty gentle in its use.
I do wonder what effect they have on wildlife, especially something like rare birds.

Our hens often look at tiny high flying aircraft and sometimes would hide from them so I don't think it's too much of a str

Reactions: TeeDee

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
...I realise basically everything outdoorsy I write on here is more or less "wife and I" hahah, we do everything together... But yeh, we decided to buy a drone late last year mavic mini 2, we both did and passed all the necessary tests and have loved using it.

One thing I love about it is it's actually quite a quiet little thing. It doesn't seem to have that incessant buzz that the (I guess) bigger models have...

We try to be very respectful with our flying and not bother people with it. I would say we follow all the rules, 99.9% of the time, I've been told that it's illegal to fly on Dartmoor...so naturally..ahem...we have never flown it there..and if we did we'd never fly it near animals or anywhere that would bother others... But it's a pretty new toy with not many hours under the belt, so we're pretty gentle in its use.

Would never fly it over someone's garden or anything, or even typically others enjoying the outdoors... To me it's rude/invasive and a sure fire way to getting the whole thing banned for everyone.
They’re good aren’t they, the Mini 2? I got one in March and have had a lot of fun flying it, and getting some otherwise impossible video and photos. In the camera settings it has FPV mode which I haven’t tried yet, but looking at Mesquite’s vid I think I will next time I’m out with it.

Here’s a map of restricted airspace, handy to have it on your phone.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
They’re good aren’t they, the Mini 2? I got one in March and have had a lot of fun flying it, and getting some otherwise impossible video and photos.

Here’s a map of restricted airspace, handy to have it on your phone.

Hi Nice,
Can you confirm if they do or don't come with onboard armour capable of withstanding a direct .177 or .22 pellet strike?

Maybe they have counter measures also? Chaff??

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I do wonder what effect they have on wildlife, especially something like rare birds.

Our hens often look at tiny high flying aircraft and sometimes would hide from them so I don't think it's too much of a str
That’s why they are banned in the New Forest and on other nature reserves. Especially unwelcome during the ground nesting bird season.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi Nice,
Can you confirm if they do or don't come with onboard armour capable of withstanding a direct .177 or .22 pellet strike?

Maybe they have counter measures also? Chaff??
Perhaps time to stop with the shooting them down thing eh? Chaff, both in being worthless rubbish, and leading things astray ;)

Reactions: TeeDee

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Two things have happened here. The novelty of flying the drone has worn off. The drone gets put up on a shelf. The end. Same demise as a lot of RC vehicles. Easy to name at least a dozen even in this little village.
Second, the "threat" of being shot down does not need to become a prediction.
In all likelihood, the pilot is unaware of the problem a shooter would create for themselves. Plus, a shooter could blast away all day with any sort of a rifle and never make a hit.

I could, very easily. 3" 12ga x #4 magnum duck loads would be a clean kill. But I won't. Catch the pilot, report them to the police and let the threats unfold.

The market for licensed commercial drone pilots saturated very quickly. I had my new house roof and vents, etc., documented for home owner's insurance purposes. Local farms and ranches are having their land photographed for flood insurance reasons (the Fraser jumped up about 8'), crops and wildlife crop damage, hail, all sorts of reasons. Dramatic economy and close-up detail when compared with the fixed wings and chopper surveys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE