Droning drones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Needs one of these instead..

View attachment 67327
You may have hit the nail on the head to an extent. There’s nothing like creating a war to sell expensive arms. An expensive drone detection system costs millions, so let’s create our market.

I’ve been keeping up with the Gatwick drone story, and becoming convinced there was no drone. Since then several other airports, Heathrow in Jan 2019 have been closed by apparent drone activity. In the case of the Gatwick drone, it was reported that lights were seen. Drones use a gps system to send info to the user so can’t be flown into restricted airspace without hacking the software. If you’re hacking the software to secretly fly in restricted airspace then it would make sense to turn the lights off while you’re at it.

Here‘s the bit I read, but there is also a Guardian long read. They seem to be the only media who have asked any questions.

(the long read is good if like me you are sat in the garden with a beer and have just lit a barbecue ;))

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Can’t stand the things.
Ruined a Morris dance with its dreadful whirring noise, so had a go at the bloke for being an bottom.

I shot one down with my pellet gun for invading my privacy on a summers evening. (wrong but felt good).

Reactions: Robbi

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I can appreciate the sentiment, but, destruction of property, and the chance of the pellet missing or passing through the target to fall on land you should not be shooting into....Since both are illegal I would not recommend bragging about it on-line.

I really do not understand why folk feel the need to describe on-line the dodgy stuff that they do. Once posted it can be used as evidence, if left for a while on a site it can often be retrieved almost forever and cannot be deleted by the poster. Deleting it here doesn't necessarily get rid of it.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You may have hit the nail on the head to an extent. There’s nothing like creating a war to sell expensive arms. An expensive drone detection system costs millions, so let’s create our market.

I’ve been keeping up with the Gatwick drone story, and becoming convinced there was no drone. Since then several other airports, Heathrow in Jan 2019 have been closed by apparent drone activity. In the case of the Gatwick drone, it was reported that lights were seen. Drones use a gps system to send info to the user so can’t be flown into restricted airspace without hacking the software. If you’re hacking the software to secretly fly in restricted airspace then it would make sense to turn the lights off while you’re at it.

Here‘s the bit I read, but there is also a Guardian long read. They seem to be the only media who have asked any questions.

(the long read is good if like me you are sat in the garden with a beer and have just lit a barbecue ;))

Just wondering how much of a Drone could be potentially made from transparent plastic? - Stealth Drone.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can’t stand the things.
Ruined a Morris dance with its dreadful whirring noise, so had a go at the bloke for being an bottom.

I shot one down with my pellet gun for invading my privacy on a summers evening. (wrong but felt good).

I can only think a mechanical whirring overbeat would improve the dreadful chingy dirge of Morris music - But one mans meat etc....

Would you use the same justification to shoot a noisy neighbours Dog?
( tool move as far as i'm concerned )

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If it were as simple as drones being an annoying noise I think fewer people would be so hostile. No more so than with noisy dogs, or noisy children, which can bring neighbours to blows as it is, but that is mostly because the neighbours and the annoyance is known and prolonged.

If you know and trust your neighbours you kind of get used to them being able to see a certain amount of your private life over the garden fence. Having a mechanical spy, operated by parties unknown, with motives unknown, over flying ones home and recording you, your family and your property isn't merely annoying.

One of the local farmers where my parents live had a tractor stolen which had been parked completely out of sight behind a barn. Maybe it was a only a coincidence that a day before, a drone overflew the farm yard and barn, but no one is buying that.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If it were as simple as drones being an annoying noise I think fewer people would be so hostile. No more so than with noisy dogs, or noisy children, which can bring neighbours to blows as it is, but that is mostly because the neighbours and the annoyance is known and prolonged.

If you know and trust your neighbours you kind of get used to them being able to see a certain amount of your private life over the garden fence. Having a mechanical spy, operated by parties unknown, with motives unknown, over flying ones home and recording you, your family and your property isn't merely annoying.

One of the local farmers where my parents live had a tractor stolen which had been parked completely out of sight behind a barn. Maybe it was a only a coincidence that a day before, a drone overflew the farm yard and barn, but no one is buying that.

How do you KNOW its recording you?

Sometimes I take my little toy drone out just to fly it by line of sight - no camera involved.

Reactions: Nice65

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You over fly property that you don't own and cannot otherwise see into? Are these your neighbours or strangers? Do they know its your drone?

People are not to know whether you are filming or not, why should they give you the benefit of the doubt? Unless that is they know you and recognise your drone, and you have talked to them about it. That makes it a different situation from the one I described.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Its relatively new tech, or at least new to the general public, so therefore it's new to people to witness, that comes with fears, confusion etc..
Typically regulations, rules, legislation is carried out retrospectively - occasionally things are heavy handed, knee jerk reactions in legislation etc, news articles pop up stating the worst. All of a sudden, I could be out with my drone trying not to film my thinning lid and everyone in the near vicinity ends up in a state of panic as to whether I'm a pervert or as above some sort of thief scouting the area, or anything else particularly anti-social.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Its relatively new tech, or at least new to the general public, so therefore it's new to people to witness, that comes with fears, confusion etc..
Typically regulations, rules, legislation is carried out retrospectively - occasionally things are heavy handed, knee jerk reactions in legislation etc, news articles pop up stating the worst. All of a sudden, I could be out with my drone trying not to film my thinning lid and everyone in the near vicinity ends up in a state of panic as to whether I'm a pervert or as above some sort of thief scouting the area, or anything else particularly anti-social.

Paranoia and the madness of mobs seems to justify many vigilante type actions.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You over fly property that you don't own and cannot otherwise see into? Are these your neighbours or strangers? Do they know its your drone?

People are not to know whether you are filming or not, why should they give you the benefit of the doubt? Unless that is they know you and recognise your drone, and you have talked to them about it. That makes it a different situation from the one I described.

If this reply is directed to me:-

I've flown my drone on a cricket ground and football pitch that backs onto Housing estates ( or vice versa depending on your perspective ) - No I don't OVER fly houses .

You are right that people don't know I'm not filming but thankfully we have many activities that protect MY right to act LEGALLY until its proven that I'm not acting in such a manner. That is the way the British Law and legal system seems to work ( I'm not a legal type )

In the same way that one is allowed to if on a foot take photos of anything one can see if in a public area without being stopped , questioned , harassed over the WHY aspect - that is the legal standing.

The act of them not knowing doesn't give them carte blanche right to shoot or damage my or anyone else's property in some kinda self appointed NIMBY vigilante Karenesque mob action.

"why should they give you the benefit of the doubt?" - Because life tends to work better if we think and act peacefully towards one another before running off into rash ill thought out actions.

( with respect )

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
1: You over fly property that you don't own and cannot otherwise see into? 2: Are these your neighbours or strangers? 3: Do they know its your drone?

4: People are not to know whether you are filming or not, why should they give you the benefit of the doubt? Unless that is they know you and recognise your drone, and you have talked to them about it. That makes it a different situation from the one I described.
TeeDee is describing a ‘toy’. It weighs under 250g and doesn’t have a camera. If it carries a camera, he needs a Pilot ID by law. I‘ve quoted all the law bit earlier, so I’ll not bother again. Would you grumble if a remote controlled plane flew over? Or a Balsa wood model plane?

Your questions, in order. If the law on flying drones is followed then there’s no problem. It‘s knife law for drone pilots, open to abuse, paranoia, and education.

1: Yes, you can fly over property you cannot otherwise see into, it is one of the main advantages of camera drones to be able to see and film safely, without a helicopter, or a human operator being in an aircraft.

2: If they are neighbours or strangers doesn’t make any difference in the same way you don’t need to justify carrying a legal EDC knife. Personally I let people know if I’m using my drone to take camera footage. A lot of the time I fly it in speed mode for fun and to get more proficient. In this case, why would I feel I have to let anyone know? If I went to my neighbours and said I’d be racing an RC car today they’d think I was mad.

3: Irrelevant

4: This is massively irrelevant. Nobody needs to give a drone operator ‘the benefit of the doubt’. There are laws in place. Why would someone recognise your mass produced Swiss Army Knife over someone else’s? There are people that put stickers and stuff on their drones, and anything over 250g with a camera must carry an operator ID. TeeDee is talking about a toy, no camera. This camera paranoia is frankly ridiculous. I fly mine for fun and use the camera to see where the good pics or video are. I hardly record anything unless it’s a decent landscape or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You know, I don't care enough about this to carry on. I posted because Teedee made what I considered a long and provocative leap suggesting a similarity between Henchy downing a drone overflying his property and his shooting a neighbour's dog. I tried to offer examples of why people could object to a drone for more than the noise, which seemed to be all Teedee was thinking of. I have not expressed much of my own thoughts and having more read into my mildly devils advocate posts than I intended, and them becoming the focus of the thread is tiresome.
Play nice and I won't be back :)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You know, I don't care enough about this to carry on. I posted because Teedee made what I considered a long and provocative leap suggesting a similarity between Henchy downing a drone overflying his property and his shooting a neighbour's dog. I tried to offer examples of why people could object to a drone for more than the noise, which seemed to be all Teedee was thinking of. I have not expressed much of my own thoughts and having more read into my mildly devils advocate posts than I intended, and them becoming the focus of the thread is tiresome.

Thats a fair enough comment Chris

My biggest issues with this thread is where it seems to go seriously unaddressed when anyone seems to feel solely justified in using an Air Rifle in what I would consider a very poorly thought out course of action.

Laters.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks, but I think you should carry on. You have been pretty sensible about knife law through the time I’ve known you, and it’s why I keep making reference to discretion and abuse with regard to drones. It’s very easy to tar people with the same brush one paints ones walls white with. Personally I’m a responsible knife owner, car driver, drone flyer but obviously this doesn’t apply to Henchy who not only admit an illegal act right here in public, but also admits to liking Morris Dancing. :D

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
There are laws in place.
I'll start with this. There may be laws in place but when we live in times that police will not turn up to burglaries, dog attacks on livestock and far worse I don't feel reassured by this.

I'd also say comparing shooting of an inanimate drone to the shooting a dog is not only in poor taste but somewhat provocative. There's no comparison. (And that's spoken by someone who's dealt with dogs savaging livestock).

As for the comments on recording. My concerns about recording are real as I know I've been recorded. The first time I noticed our property had been recorded is when we saw a video of a neighbouring property on an estate agent site. It would seem our permision should have been sought but of course it wasn't. 2nd time owner of the drone confirmed and apologised several months after the incident.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'll start with this. There may be laws in place but when we live in times that police will not turn up to burglaries, dog attacks on livestock and far worse I don't feel reassured by this.

I'd also say comparing shooting of an inanimate drone to the shooting a dog is not only in poor taste but somewhat provocative. There's no comparison. (And that's spoken by someone who's dealt with dogs savaging livestock).

As for the comments on recording. My concerns about recording are real as I know I've been recorded. The first time I noticed our property had been recorded is when we saw a video of a neighbouring property on an estate agent site. It would seem our permission should have been sought but of course it wasn’t. 2nd time drone owner of the drone confirmed and apologised several months after the incident.
Ok. But a drone flying over your property isn’t ”burglaries, dog attacks on livestock and far worse“. I didn’t comment on either the shooting of a drone with an air gun or reference to shooting a problem dog, for obvious reasons, but I think it’s quite telling of the intentions of the new drone owner that you’ve received an apology. He’s actually apologising for the idiots who don’t care, in much the same way as I ask or tell people I’m flying a drone, and in much the same way as explaining why I have a perfectly legal pocket knife.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Ok. But a drone flying over your property isn’t ”burglaries, dog attacks on livestock and far worse“. I didn’t comment on either the shooting of a drone with an air gun or reference to shooting a problem dog, for obvious reasons, but I think it’s quite telling of the intentions of the new drone owner that you’ve received an apology. He’s actually apologising for the idiots who don’t care, in much the same way as I ask or tell people I’m flying a drone, and in much the same way as explaining why I have a perfectly legal pocket knife.
Actually no, it was more embarrassment he was caught. I got the impression he knew exactly what he was doing was at least morally wrong but he did it anyway. I expect he'll carry on but not over our house.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Actually no, it was more embarrassment he was caught. I got the impression he knew exactly what he was doing was at least morally wrong but he did it anyway. I expect he'll carry on but not over our house.
My mistake, I assumed 2nd time owner was a new owner of the drone, not the 2nd time it happened. Yes, he should have sought your permission if filming, which he was.

You do have the right to ask the estate agent to remove the footage, just as you can block views of your property by Google.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE