Droning drones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Anyone been annoyed by these little pests? I know they can be useful, and I would like to get one myself to help survey our trees, but on a couple of occasions people have been flying them without any consideration, possibly illegally, but certainly annoyingly.

What I don't understand is why people think they can fly them over private land and spy on people. If you were to peer over someone's garden fence you wouldn't be popular and if you were to try and film the occupants you'd be called a pervert and carted off. But fly a drone and many seem to think that is ok?

Anyway, dose anyone know if there's anything that can track and trace a drone? I would have thought they should send out an id code that could be received by something?

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's illegal to fly over private property. But, I don't think they are traceable - certainly not the amateur small ones anyway.

I recommend a good catapult or air rifle :) (I'd use the shotgun but we are in a rural area).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have one, a DJI Mini 2. It’s both an excellent toy and an amazing way to take aerial footage with a high definition camera of scenes you’d not be able to see without hiring a helicopter. Flying of drones is governed by the CAA and pilots are allowed to fly over private land in the same way as aeroplanes and helicopters, don’t assume all drones are filming, and I’m fairly sure Google didn’t directly ask you before your house and road appeared on Maps, Streetview or Earth. Every pilot must pass a registration if the drone weighs under 250g, and a licence if over that weight.

Two rules commonly ignored are ‘line of sight’ where the drone must be visible at all times by the pilot, not a spotter or using binoculars. So if the drone goes behind a tree or the pilot flies it into the sun, that’s illegal. The other obvious one is privacy. If a pilot films occupants of a residency they can share only with family and friends, not on social media without the permission of the people filmed. There are also very strict height and area restrictions (airspace, residencies, businesses, and crowds).

I won’t list them all, here is the legislation relating to individual use. Like all these things, knives to metal detectors, there will always be people that abuse or ignore the law and bring a good and fun hobby into disrepute.

A few seconds of Halnaker Windmill. It’s a bit amateurish as I’m fairly new to it, but you’ll see how a decent drone under 250g is a very cool tool for aerial surveys of trees, powerlines, roofs. And also a superb way to capture a scene from an angle you’d never have access to without a drone.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry Nice65 but it is illegal to fly a drone within 50m of a property not owned by you. From the Government web site setting out the rules - item 6:

1. drones can and do present a very real hazard to manned aircraft, pilots (including military pilots) have reported over 50 near misses with drones last year alone
  2. drones (including model aircraft) are subject to the law through the Air Navigation Order
  3. it is your responsibility to fly safely and within the law – if you don’t (and individuals have been) you could be prosecuted.
  4. never fly a drone near an airport/airfield or close to aircraft. It is a criminal offence to endanger the safety of aircraft in flight
  5. keep your drone in sight and below 400ft
  6. do not fly over congested areas and never fly within 50m of a person, vehicle or building not under your control
  7. if you wish to use a drone for commercial purposes (get paid) then you need to have permission from the CAA
  8. ensure any images obtained do not break privacy laws
  9. if your unit wishes to buy a commercially available drone for Defence activities (photographs, multimedia, and surveys at height) it becomes regulated by the MAA and you must follow their rules
  10. finally, Follow the Drone Code, have fun and fly safe.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's illegal to fly over private property. But, I don't think they are traceable - certainly not the amateur small ones anyway.

I recommend a good catapult or air rifle :) (I'd use the shotgun but we are in a rural area).
It isn’t, but the drone must be over 50m away. That applies to height also. I bought my drone from DroneSafe, they’re trying hard to keep people onside and responsible.

I do very much feel this is similar to bad press about midnight detectorists digging holes in private land.

Reactions: TeeDee

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
For your record Broch, I have read all the CAA rules, passed the test and have my registration number while you’re just quoting small sections of the legislation you haven’t even bothered to read and think it’s ok to destroy my property with a shotgun.

I fly my drone according to the law, know the law, and respect other people as ruled within the law. Which I quoted in my first post, but you jumped to an ill informed conclusion.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, see your point, 50m could just be 50m high - silly me!

I do find it incredible that it's legal to fly over private property; there can be no legitimate reason for doing so (by the way, my son has one and I enjoy using it).

Reactions: Nice65

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
For your record Broch, I have read all the CAA rules, passed the test and have my registration number while you’re just quoting small sections of the legislation you haven’t even bothered to read and think it’s ok to destroy my property with a shotgun.

I fly my drone according to the law, know the law, and respect other people as ruled within the law. Which I quoted in my first post, but you jumped to an ill informed conclusion.

I wasn't serious - I take your point and I apologise for sounding offensive. I live in a very rural area and I am unlikely to have a problem. If I lived in an urban area and drones were flying over my garden I would be very concerned.

Reactions: Nice65

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have one, a DJI Mini 2. It’s both an excellent toy and an amazing way to take aerial footage with a high definition camera of scenes you’d not be able to see without hiring a helicopter. Flying of drones is governed by the CAA and pilots are allowed to fly over private land in the same way as aeroplanes and helicopters, don’t assume all drones are filming, and I’m fairly sure Google didn’t directly ask you before your house and road appeared on Maps, Streetview or Earth. Every pilot must pass a registration if the drone weighs under 250g, and a licence if over that weight.

Two rules commonly ignored are ‘line of sight’ where the drone must be visible at all times by the pilot, not a spotter or using binoculars. So if the drone goes behind a tree or the pilot flies it into the sun, that’s illegal. The other obvious one is privacy. If a pilot films occupants of a residency they can share only with family and friends, not on social media without the permission of the people filmed. There are also very strict height and area restrictions (airspace, residencies, businesses, and crowds).

I won’t list them all, here is the legislation relating to individual use. Like all these things, knives to metal detectors, there will always be people that abuse or ignore the law and bring a good and fun hobby into disrepute.

A few seconds of Halnaker Windmill. It’s a bit amateurish as I’m fairly new to it, but you’ll see how a decent drone under 250g is a very cool tool for aerial surveys of trees, powerlines, roofs. And also a superb way to capture a scene from an angle you’d never have access to without a drone.

Nice footage!

I've toyed with the idea of getting a drone as I have a soft spot for recording Follies and would like to do drone footage alongside it.

I can also see why people get super excited by them and consider them as something not 'right' - I can see both sides of the argument.

Tricky one.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ah, see your point, 50m could just be 50m high - silly me!

I do find it incredible that it's legal to fly over private property; there can be no legitimate reason for doing so (by the way, my son has one and I enjoy using it).
Thing is, it’s civil aviation, the same laws. There’s nowt else to work with that’s already set in stone and has precedence, so like knife law, the changes have to be made to the existing laws.

I see both sides too, but it applies to everything from passing a driving test and insuring, taxing and MOTing a car to drones. There will always be idiots. It‘s actually illegal for me to pass the remote control to a mate to have a fly of it unless he also has an operator ID. The law‘s there, and I’ve read it all and it seems pretty sensible.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt there are plenty of people flying them legally but, as various news stories seem to show, there is very little you can do if someone breaks the law.

The problem with drones is they fly lower than aircraft (well, mostly). I'm not overly keen on what google etc show but at least the detail isn't great whereas a drone hovering 50m above me is likely to be filming in great detail.

My main problem is what can you realistically do if someone is using drone illegally? I doubt the police would do anything meningful, unlike knife crime.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt there are plenty of people flying them legally but, as various news stories seem to show, there is very little you can do if someone breaks the law.

The problem with drones is they fly lower than aircraft (well, mostly). I'm not overly keen on what google etc show but at least the detail isn't great whereas a drone hovering 50m above me is likely to be filming in great detail.

My main problem is what can you realistically do if someone is using drone illegally? I doubt the police would do anything meningful, unlike knife crime.
I’m totally with you on the privacy aspect of being filmed, just as I’m with Broch to an extent on removing the thing from my perceived privacy by force.

Truth is, we’re filmed everywhere, pubs, streets, gyms, doorsteps, dash cams, cameras poking out of properties, you name it, there are cameras. The law, at least this latest part, was introduced in January this year to put some defence our way. Until then anyone could fly pretty much anywhere filming whatever they wanted and posting it on social media. It’s important the CAA are in charge of drones, they have a huge legal sway on potentially very dangerous machines that can carry and drop large payloads, let alone take your picture from 50m away.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Maybe I posted this before. I got a pi$$y letter from the home insurance company, to tell me that my roof was in disrepair and needed replacement.
In fact, with all new code ventilation and chimney flashing and roof repair,
I had a new up to date roof.
I hired a licensed drone guy to make me a video and a bunch of still out-takes that I sent to the insurance company. Very effective, they even apologized.

However, if I catch a drone peeping into my windows, I will kill it.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Truth is, we’re filmed everywhere, pubs, streets, gyms, doorsteps, dash cams, cameras poking out of properties, you name it, there are cameras.
We're not though, at least in our own homes and gardens.

I was looking at putting up a CCTV camera at the front of our house, mainly to spot deliveries. If it captures any public space I need to put up a warning notice. Again, I don't see why drones operate out side so many laws.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Your neighbours can film your property. We had a real nasty guy a few years ago who mounted a cam on the corner of his house pointing up our driveway. Totally legal because it was looking partly at one side of his house that bordered our drive, he didn’t even need to inform us because he was looking at part of his property.

Anyone with a camera on the drone has to have a Flyer ID. Anyone operating larger drones or using them commercially has to print an ID number and attach it to all their drones.

I have this, a flyer ID for a drone under 250g. I have to have this registration because it is fitted with a camera. Tell me how this falls outside of CCTV laws when the drone law is far more strict than a sign saying Smile You‘re on CCTV?

152C5524-EB8C-4FEA-A029-252B959C0A0F.jpeg

Registered operators are required to have an Operator ID and inform anyone who may have their property filmed. So a surveyor operating commercially or having a drone with a camera doing a roof survey for instance must inform of the flight. Just as you must put up a sign saying ‘CCTV operating in this area’ or ‘Smile you’re on CCTV’ etc. I rarely see a sign on a camera doorbell or intercom that says I’m being filmed. The law on drone cameras is far tighter, don’t automatically think I’m filming you, I’m looking at the landscapes or not even filming at all.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

All you’ve really said is on a couple of occasions you’ve found them annoying and “various news stories seem to show”. I read BS everyday, and I get annoyed at stuff everyday. You’ve got people here ready to point their weapons.

but on a couple of occasions people have been flying them without any consideration, possibly illegally, but certainly annoyingly.
And then introduced knife crime into a hypothetical situation.

Robson Valley and Broch are loading up guns and have their hackles up, I’m annoyed myself at getting strung along with it, and you’re well paranoid :D:D:D

Hopefully, hopefully, I’ve done a bit to reassure you that there is solid law in place, more so than most camera law. And do get a drone for tree survey, with a zoom on the camera it is possible to get in close without a disastrous tangle. They’re also tons of fun to fly, and mine is pretty small and silent. You’ll see the guy sitting at the windmill didn’t even look up, and even so I elevated my height after that and flew back to us walking back down.

Reactions: Kepis

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
What with advent of drones and the fact that every man and his dog seems to have one for folk to become annoyed at their misuse, another market has spawned in reply ; the anti-drone technology market, look it up.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
All you’ve really said is on a couple of occasions you’ve found them annoying and “various news stories seem to show”. I read BS everyday, and I get annoyed at stuff everyday. You’ve got people here ready to point their weapons.
I'm a fairly private person so I'm not going to post up exact details of why they are annoying. I actually found out who one owner was and know they were filming. This most recent time the drone could not be operated within a line of site and did not have land owners permission to fly over most of the land it did. Past history of the site means I am wary about the reasons for the drone.

I genuinely appreciate the point of view of someone flying one. However, I don't see how the laws actually prevent illegal flying in any way. What can I meaningfully do when a drone is braking the law? If I spot a drone doing a survey and they haven't told me how do I know who is operating it.

As for the CCTV, that is a bit of a side track but I understand you at least need to follow GDPR rules but that might be best for a different thread.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE