Droning drones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm a fairly private person so I'm not going to post up exact details of why they are annoying. I actually found out who one owner was and know they were filming. This most recent time the drone could not be operated within a line of site and did not have land owners permission to fly over most of the land it did. Past history of the site means I am wary about the reasons for the drone.

I genuinely appreciate the point of view of someone flying one. However, I don't see how the laws actually prevent illegal flying in any way. What can I meaningfully do when a drone is braking the law? If I spot a drone doing a survey and they haven't told me how do I know who is operating it.

As for the CCTV, that is a bit of a side track but I understand you at least need to follow GDPR rules but that might be best for a different thread.

A fair question. Where and whom you would report it to.

But then again I can see that as displayed above the general public simply don't know the actual 'true' rules of what is legal and illegal drone flying so there would be spurious and multiple reports of people feeling irate over Drone flying in their vicinity and a " well, its just wrong!! " mindset flooding the telephone lines of whatever organisation is tasked to ensure Drone pilots follow the regulations.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
How has a law ever prevented somebody doing something?
Well something like a number plate on a car at least means many crimes are punished, and more importantly deterred in the first place.

I somehow thought drones should transmit an id signal of some sort that could be checked.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
They could but then it is you that should have the receiver. That signal could also be fairly easy to forge depending.
Well yes I would have to buy a receiver. I can't see it would be that expensive though.

I'm sure a signal could be made fairly secure. No doubt there could be ways round it but then it's very easy to clone car number plates but that doesn't mean we don't use them does it.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
No doubt there could be ways round it but then it's very easy to clone car number plates but that doesn't mean we don't use them does it.
Well, the way petrol thieves do it here is that they first steal plates from some unlucky, tape those on their's and then go to fill up. No need to clone anything. Not so easy nowadays as one has to give paying information before the liquid flows but there are still some old stations left ..

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That's what I'm asking. I was aware new rules had been implemented but can't see much of a point if you can't id a drone and then report it.

Yep , I agree and get what you are saying but how can one remotely identify a small drone from a distance that will potentially have a hidden remote pilot.

Unless the CAA want to go down the route of flight path IDs that can be traced retrospectively for reporting of infringements.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The percentage of success varies a lot in some cases it is not very high like speeding ...

Are you suggesting the outcome would be the same without a Law ( and the legal ramifications / penalties ) in situa?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It could be forged in the transmitting end like you can change the ID on your net card.
Now you're sounding paranoid. It would be more likely someone would just steel one.

But I would expect the vast majority of people wouldn't forge the number.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Now you're sounding paranoid. It would be more likely someone would just steal one.
I see you have never met people who change their MAC address daily ...

Are you suggesting the outcome would be the same without a Law ( and the legal ramifications / penalties ) in situa?
In the drone case I think the law affects very little what people do with them, practically no sanctions. If I remember correctly the UK police could not catch a drone flyer who shut down an airport for a day and a half.

Probably people shooting down them with a shotgun would be more effective and 50 m is about the max range or slightly over for any shotgun.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
In the drone case I think the law affects very little what people do with them, practically no sanctions. If I remember correctly the UK police could not catch a drone flyer who shut down an airport for a day and a half.

Probably people shooting down them with a shotgun would be more effective and 50 m is about the max range or slightly over for any shotgun.

Which is WHY slowworm is discussing how effective ( or rather not.. ) the law regarding the subject matter is - if you can't identify drone owners from a distance either visually or electronically then the law ( to be enforceable ) may need to be changed.

But well thought out enforceable Laws clearly DO work.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I see you have never met people who change their MAC address daily ...

That’s why they changed the law. Mostly the law works but if someone is a criminal then they are always going to be ‘operating’ outside the law.
Most drones are used appropriately and responsibly; occasionally persons operating them may need some education and pointers of how to behave but they are less annoying and intrusive than some activities people get up to in their own gardens or when out and about.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Putting my serious hat on - if you take the law into your own hands and shoot them down, or disrupt the signal to bring them down, you would be liable for any damage, injury or even death caused by the falling object.

If there is an increase in the misuse of them I suspect the law will change and flying drones over private property without permission will not be accepted - actually doing something about the miscreants is another matter.

Reactions: nigelp

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
That’s why they changed the law. Mostly the law works but if someone is a criminal then they are always going to be ‘operating’ outside the law.
A good case not to make unenforceable laws and why the SD practice of just prohibiting everything does not work, the more law abiding citizens don't need it and the outlaws don't follow them anyway. So why to make one?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yep , I agree and get what you are saying but how can one remotely identify a small drone from a distance that will potentially have a hidden remote pilot.

Unless the CAA want to go down the route of flight path IDs that can be traced retrospectively for reporting of infringements.
I’m not sure if this applies to any drone that requires a pilot ID, but mine records all the flight telemetry and information. I’m also not sure if this setting can be switched off or not.

Reactions: TeeDee

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I have one, a DJI Mini 2. It’s both an excellent toy and an amazing way to take aerial footage with a high definition camera of scenes you’d not be able to see without hiring a helicopter. Flying of drones is governed by the CAA and pilots are allowed to fly over private land in the same way as aeroplanes and helicopters, don’t assume all drones are filming, and I’m fairly sure Google didn’t directly ask you before your house and road appeared on Maps, Streetview or Earth. Every pilot must pass a registration if the drone weighs under 250g, and a licence if over that weight.

Two rules commonly ignored are ‘line of sight’ where the drone must be visible at all times by the pilot, not a spotter or using binoculars. So if the drone goes behind a tree or the pilot flies it into the sun, that’s illegal. The other obvious one is privacy. If a pilot films occupants of a residency they can share only with family and friends, not on social media without the permission of the people filmed. There are also very strict height and area restrictions (airspace, residencies, businesses, and crowds).

I won’t list them all, here is the legislation relating to individual use. Like all these things, knives to metal detectors, there will always be people that abuse or ignore the law and bring a good and fun hobby into disrepute.

A few seconds of Halnaker Windmill. It’s a bit amateurish as I’m fairly new to it, but you’ll see how a decent drone under 250g is a very cool tool for aerial surveys of trees, powerlines, roofs. And also a superb way to capture a scene from an angle you’d never have access to without a drone.

I was getting into that and then it was over. Got any more?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE