Drew Dunn Respect's funeral service details.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tomorrow at 12.30pm I should be either knocking a doorway through a wall or building a studded partition in an office. Either way right at that time of day I am downing tools and standing outside looking North wishing Drew a speedy send off but also sparing thoughts for his family and friends who are there. I wish I could be there, but I simply can't, but my thoughts will be with all those who are going. Well done folks! I hope Drew has a good send off that would make him proud and pleased he's touched so many people and his family can see just how much he was thought of outside his immediate family circle.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just been awoken from what should have been a lay-in before setting off for the service. my cover has blobbed and not answering , so I'm needed. sorry Drew , me n sue will be thinkin of you and I've given HillBill a Yew tree to plant in your memory.
R.I.P young man .
ATVB
Chis , Sue & Brad

greensurfingbear

Like biker I'm going to be busy all day, over 50 school kids out bug hunting and pond dipping as well as geocaching. Hopefully I'll get time at 1230 to have a moments peace to bow my head and send my thoughts to the funereal.

To those Bcuk members attending could you make the family aware that you represent the tip of the iceberg and that many more of us would have liked to attend.

Please let us know how it goes.

Orric

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Sadly I can't make the funeral, I'm on holiday. I lit a candle in Bath Abbey yesterday & shall raise a glass to Drew today.

I hope the church is packed today, and Drew's family find solace in how much their lad was loved and respected by us weird folk.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The empathy, sympathy and compassion shown by people here knocks me out.

I am just thinking of Drew's legacy; wonderful native trees growing all over the country that should be around for a good few generations.

Would that I inspire that kind of affection and reverance.

"Ausome"

Biker

The empathy, sympathy and compassion shown by people here knocks me out.

I am just thinking of Drew's legacy; wonderful native trees growing all over the country that should be around for a good few generations.

Would that I inspire that kind of affection and reverance.

"Ausome"

I hadn't considered the legacy aspect of the tree planting, more as a living memorial sort of thing. Yeah like that thought a lot and I'm sure Drew would have got a buzz out of this tree planting thing too. I'll find a decent tree over here as well and find a nice spot to plant it. It'll have to wait until a bit later in the year though.

Managed to spend 10 minutes just trying to concentrate on Drew sat on a terrace in the sunshine surrounded by trees and birdsong. My mind stayed focused for all of 15 seconds then wandered off on how pleasant it was, how the twittering birds sounded, the distraction and peace that comes from being amongst nature. So I gave up trying to be solemn but just enjoyed soaking up that bit of atmosphere.

I hope the service went well. Not to sound too ghoulish but I would like to hear people's thoughts of the day.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
... My mind stayed focused for all of 15 seconds then wandered off on how pleasant it was, how the twittering birds sounded, the distraction and peace that comes from being amongst nature.....
I didn't know Drew outside of facebook and here but I'm guessing he'd've loved that, Aaron :)

Couldn't get you all outta my mind today, I hope theres been a good share of laughter, caring for each other, reminiscing and all those Drewish traits that we'll carry on for him and be better folk for it :)

A big ethereal *squeeze* to everyone today... and a LOT of pride in being a member of this community.

I hadn't considered the legacy aspect of the tree planting, more as a living memorial sort of thing. Yeah like that thought a lot and I'm sure Drew would have got a buzz out of this tree planting thing too. I'll find a decent tree over here as well and find a nice spot to plant it. It'll have to wait until a bit later in the year though.

Managed to spend 10 minutes just trying to concentrate on Drew sat on a terrace in the sunshine surrounded by trees and birdsong. My mind stayed focused for all of 15 seconds then wandered off on how pleasant it was, how the twittering birds sounded, the distraction and peace that comes from being amongst nature. So I gave up trying to be solemn but just enjoyed soaking up that bit of atmosphere.

I hope the service went well. Not to sound too ghoulish but I would like to hear people's thoughts of the day.

The service was quite long and included a mass but the words spoken by Drews close friends and family brought many, including me, to tears. I am filling up as I write this.
I have had many hours to reflect today during my traveling and have come to the conclusion that it is better to have known Drew and lost him than to never have known him at all.
Respect to Drew and his wonderful family. Thanks to Bcuk for bringing Drew
Into our lives.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Managed to grab a quiet moment at 1230. Sat in the sunshine watching the house martins and swallows busy building their nests in the eves of my office.

Drews voice popped into my head repeating the phrase he said to be when he found out I was a park ranger the first time I met him.....I'm not able to repeat it as this is a family forum. But it went along the lines of "Gosh you're one lucky chap" and those of you who knew him can piece together the sort of phrase he'd really used. Anyway you know what I had to smile and say in my head "you know what Drew you are right."

Sounds like he had a worthy send off.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am afraid that I was unable to take any time at 12.30 - I was taking one of my Mencap guys for a drive and enjoying the day - I hope everything went well and the do was one Drew would have enjoyed :)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Guys, the church was heaving with people. Every pew filled and people standing all along the side isles and all along the back. There were still about 30 outside who just couldn't cram themselves in. The Scouts provided an honour guard and followed the poll bearers in with Drew's coffin.
The service was not overly somber as one might expect, but was a celebration of Drew's all too short life. There were many fine things said by various friends and family members during the service, but we all knew that already.
Following the church service, Drew went off to the crematorium. I think that was really a "just family" time though, as most folks went straight to the wake.
That place was heaving with people too. We bushcrafters occupied two tables in the middle of the room and settled in to talk about our memories of Drew and laugh about some of his antics. One elderly woman asked me how we knew drew, and I told her we were his bushcraft buddies. She told me she was a distant relative but had never met him. She had never even seen a photo of him, so didn't even know what he looked like. Instantly, there were four or five smart phones produced while people tried to find a photo of Drew for her to see.
We had been there for maybe half an hour when someone announced that the bar next door to the big concert room was being opened so more space could be made for family members coming back from the crem. We all immediately took ourselves into the bar area to give family more room. In the bar, we set up a temporary naughty corner and settled in there.
I had just popped out for a quick smoke of my pipe, when I met Drew's dad. He was carrying Drew's famous bushcraft hat. (Did I mention that his hat was placed on the coffin during the service? Well, it was along with a cross and bible). So anyway, I said hello and told him who I was and how I knew drew. After a few minutes chatting, and him telling me he wanted to meet all of drew's bushcraft friends, I asked him if he would mind if we took Drew's hat into the temporary naughty corner in the bar, for one last time with it. He was more than happy and handed it over, saying he's follow me through to the bar.
Anyway, he got stopped time and again as people wanted to shake his hand and offer their condolences, so I went on ahead.
So, first thing Mad dave does is whip off his paracord bracelet, untangle it and ties Drew's hat to the air conditioning vent in the roof. His mum came into the bar, spotted the hat and burst out laughing. There followed many tales of what we used to do to his hat every time we managed to nick it at the moots. His dad followed in and also laughed when he saw we had hijacked his hat once again. It just seemed the appropriate thing to do.
It's not something I'd want to do again in a hurry, but there again, it's not something I'd have wanted to miss either.
We said goodbye along with his friends and family, and we will say another bushy goodbye at the moot in August, when we will plant a tree in his name. His family will be coming down to the moot for that, and probably stay a couple of days so they can see where their dear son was happiest.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I can't say anything more than Eric has already said. We'll miss ya fella !! And yes Tengu, you can have a good cry..... We all did.

D

Biker

Thanks for the description Eric, you too Bodge. I did chuckle at the hat business. I read abut that event in the 2011 Moot write ups but missed out seeing it actually happen at the 2012 Moot I attended.

Really pleased the day went so well and Drew got a worthy send off. I hope he enjoyed it wherever he was looking down at it from. I bet he busted a gut laughing at his hat being nabbed again. Well done fella and ladies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eric :grouphug:
Thank you :) and thank you everyone who went and took a bit of the mischief and company that Drew loved with them :D I'm so glad that his Mum and Dad met his friends, saw the hat :), and Tengu, I cried too :sigh:

Mary

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....It's not something I'd want to do again in a hurry, but there again, it's not something I'd have wanted to miss either...

Funerals and wakes in general are much like being selected to be a pall bearer (and I've done that far to often in the last few years as my elder generation passes) It's the greatest honor you'll ever dread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE