Dont batton with your knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What's everyone on about? I don't really see where folk are getting grumpy? Or am I living in Happy LaLa land as usual?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It has just rather dragged on a bit.
Two quite diametrically opposed views.

Shall we be terribly restrained and just let it end here ?
Normally closing a thread is done because the argument is not just polarised but becoming vociferous; this one's just said it all and trying to re-emphasise entrenched views.

Next time the topic comes up I think we might see to it that the title isn't quite so definitive on either the negative or the positive. Maybe that'll keep the discussion a bit more laid back.

atb,
M

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Schrodinger's Skinned Cat:
Throw a cat into a room with two people and tell them to skin it. They'll figure out a way (assuming they have motivation anyway) between the two of them and get it done.
Throw a cat into a room with a few dozen people, and they argue about it until long after the cat has rotted to nothing.

My point? There's more than one way to skin a cat, and there's more than one right way to do almost all things in life. Instead of everyone whining about the methods of others, why not just use the method you prefer and skin the damned cat?

DISCLAIMER: This metaphor is not to be taken literally, and may be illegal in your locale.

N

Nomad

On re-reading (yet again) the original post in this thread, it's pretty clear that, given it's a Hitler rant parody, the idea was to offer some humour. It seems characteristic of this place that some people take themselves too seriously, are too precious about their particular views, and are sometimes plain unable to let go of something. As a result, the topic has drifted from a bit of idle humour to a bunch of people spouting forth on the merits or demerits of batoning.

Amongst the oft-offered advice in online life that I have seen over the 25 years I have been doing this is the idea that one should consider what the topic of the thread actually is, and that one should take a step back before hitting the 'post' button to consider if what they have to say is germane to the topic. What we have here is yet another thread hijack.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Schrodinger's Skinned Cat:
Throw a cat into a room with two people and tell them to skin it. They'll figure out a way (assuming they have motivation anyway) between the two of them and get it done.
Throw a cat into a room with a few dozen people, and they argue about it until long after the cat has rotted to nothing.

My point? There's more than one way to skin a cat, and there's more than one right way to do almost all things in life. Instead of everyone whining about the methods of others, why not just use the method you prefer and skin the damned cat?

DISCLAIMER: This metaphor is not to be taken literally, and may be illegal in your locale.

Needing to make that statement is a true sign of the times;):lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rolleyes: and I thought we'd said it all.

Now we have the, "told you so's", getting their tuppence ha'penny in too :sigh:

1) It's not funny when a perfectly useful skill is totally misunderstood.
2) It is germane to the discussion to agree or disagree, on or with, either side of the equation.
3) This is a discussion type forum, it's not agin the rules to discuss, so shimphing about aforementioned discussion is a bit off. None of the for or agin folks were throwing rattles or insults. Just don't read it if it's annoying you.
4) Schrodinger didn't skin any damned cat, it was either alive, dead or theoretical :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE