Does my ideal petrol lighter exist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Right then folks i am after a petrol lighter

It needs to be waterproof and wind proof and have a good capacity. So basically it needs to be a cross between a peanut lighter (waterproof / Fuel doesnt evaporate) and a zippo (wind proof and good capacity). I have peanut lighters and I have Zippos. I am aware that you can whack a ranger band over a zippo to aid airtightness but im just wondering if some clever person has invented something better.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
How about an IMCO?

72827_ts.JPG

You can get them for about a fiver usually, they have an adjustable wind barrier and you can remove the fuel chamber to use it like a candle.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Always wondered this my self. The zippos are great but shocking seals mean no life.
My little peanut lighter that you gave me bud is ace. Never leaks fuel but want something bigger and easier to use.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Always wondered this my self. The zippos are great but shocking seals mean no life.
My little peanut lighter that you gave me bud is ace. Never leaks fuel but want something bigger and easier to use.

You're not wrong mate. The ideal for me is a large cylinder lighter with screw top, threaded lid and o-ring like the peanut but with the windshield feature of a zippo.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
zippo sell a spare fuel container that is a quite a bit bigger than a peanut lighter but increases amount of fuel carried and is sealed against evaporation .maybe one of those plus a peanut?. i havent tried but my peanut would probably only use half of whats in the zippo container so it would give you thrice the working time if you started with it and the peanut fully loaded.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
It would appear that we're both on a similar quest.

I have been thinking that a petroleum based liquid fuel is the most versatile for long term emergency use, but the means to actually present it in a bushcraft/long term outdoor package is somewhat limited.

A Zippo (even with a tight fitting ranger band) looses fuel over a period of a few weeks and a peanut suffers terribly in any breeze. I do intend to get a screw capped fuel reservoir for my combination to see if that improves the overall situation.

The only advice I can offer is to never carry your Zippo in your pocket! Seems counter-intuitive, but the slightest exposure to your body heat will speed up the evaporative process of fuel loss even when covered in a piece of inner tube as mentioned above.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
just a few points, how would you make a sealed petrol lighter as its a liquid ? Supposedly with pressure, I would look for something large like a mini blowtorch, so try a different product. Another thing is its probably not legal to have a pressurised petrol lighter in your hand, and as for unleaded, I'm supprised coleman can legally sell a stove that opts for unleaded petrol. unleaded petrol has 15% (gas oil ene )dissolved butane in it hence the unsafe storage, considering they reccommend lighting a fire over it, Bunnsfield oil refinery in minature .

To stop the evapouration an idea would be a sealable wick, with a screw top.

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think that's what we're after....

A zippo style lighter with all its reliability and wind-proof-ness, but with the addition of a screw thread and "O"-ring seal - a peanut lighter on steroids if you like.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE