Does my ideal petrol lighter exist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I think that's what we're after....

A zippo style lighter with all its reliability and wind-proof-ness, but with the addition of a screw thread and "O"-ring seal - a peanut lighter on steroids if you like.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Exactly what we need i think Ogri. For me this item would be purely a rescue lighter. If i go through the ice i want to know that whatever my ignition source is 100% reliable when i need it. For now i thnk i going to try and get my hands on a cyclinder trench lighter and try to groove the body to take an o-ring under the lid.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
An elfa tank with a bit of inner tube maybe

I like Elfa'a Gray but it all comes down to the seal. I cant rely on ranger bands to seal effectively. I need a system that is fill and forget that just works no matter how long i leave it stashed in my emergency kit. I have a peanut lighter thats still got fire in it after nearly 2 years. The o-ring seal is a must for me.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
This seems to fit the bill

http://bit.ly/1eLBAie

$T2eC16VHJIgFHSIb8zw!BSC5R94yfw~~60_12.JPG

Maybe not windproof enough, though...

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Watching with interest!!

As you no Paul I'm after exactly the same thing mate!!

For me though it needs to have a. Way to fit a lanyard to it so it can hung round my neck teepee style!!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd make some up but I'm struggling to find a decent Tungsten Carbide flint wheel.

It needs to be a decent zippo sized wheel, rather than a small wheel on clipper or disposable. I really don't want to start taking wheels out of my zippos either.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Right then folks i am after a petrol lighter

It needs to be waterproof and wind proof and have a good capacity. So basically it needs to be a cross between a peanut lighter (waterproof / Fuel doesnt evaporate) and a zippo (wind proof and good capacity). I have peanut lighters and I have Zippos. I am aware that you can whack a ranger band over a zippo to aid airtightness but im just wondering if some clever person has invented something better.

I've often thought theres a gap in the market for a longer peanut lighter - doesn't have to be bigger diameter but 3-3.5" long and it would be perfect

until one appears I use a repro ww2 brass trench lighter - theres a wick cap that seems waterproof enough and the fill cap wont leak -Kept one unused and tested it up to 2 months storage it worked fine - kept forgeting to test it though must get organized enough to try it again

certainly outlasted my peanut and zippo though

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Now loads of people have gone over to posh LED lighting I bet there's a few mini maglites and whatever the smaller versions are called knocking about.
Waterproof aluminium tube with O ring seals already in place.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Problem solved, get a poundshop zippo copy and put kero in it. The theory is that because kero is an oil, it doesn't evaporate. I know what your going to say...kero wont light with a spark, well it does. I've just tried it myself and the trick is to trim the wick right down to about 2mm so when you flick the wheel, the sparks travel across the top of the wick and hey presto, lights first time everytime. The idea came from an old davy minors lamp which had a striker on the side to light the wick. It works anyway, tried it in two zippo copies, a propper zippo and an old vintage type square trench type lighter.

This is where everyone comes back and says.....yeah we already knew that, and it was only me that didnt lol.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive never tried it so good one Gray. My fear is that in very cold situations the kerro wont produce enough vapour for the spark to take. I think standard zippo fuel is based around white gas which is more volatile and vapourises more readily, probably why it evapourates so quick to lol. Got to be worth chucking it in the freezer to find out though mate. put it in a ziplock and chill it down for an hour. Be interested in the result buddy

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Ive never tried it so good one Gray. My fear is that in very cold situations the kerro wont produce enough vapour for the spark to take. I think standard zippo fuel is based around white gas which is more volatile and vapourises more readily, probably why it evapourates so quick to lol. Got to be worth chucking it in the freezer to find out though mate. put it in a ziplock and chill it down for an hour. Be interested in the result buddy

Will do, i'll do it now and let you know

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Ok, here we go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376907096.844415.jpg
Frozen lighter

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376907128.469003.jpg
Lit first time

Happy days. Going to throw in the cupboard and forget about it for a bit to make sure it doesnt evaporate or anything.
Happy bunny.

It was propper cold too, sticking to my skin lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE