Does anyone know of a supplier of barrel (round) wedges for axes/hammers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wilfy100

Jun 10, 2020
Derby
Hi
I wonder if anyone knows of a supplier of barrel (round) wedges. it seems they are not really available in the UK in a selection of assorted sizes. I know you can get the two wedges and a small wooden wedge pack but I make my own wooden wedges to the size I need. They can be imported from Germany or the USA but postage costs are just totally over the top.
I have tried just using a wooden wedge when restoring an axe but they do seem to work loose eventually, I am still at the trial and error stage with this. I would like to post a couple of threads on how I restore an axe and how I have modified a cheap car boot kent axe into a carving axe, do people think these this would be of any interest.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Of course that's interesting! Do it!

Doesn't Ochsenkopf deliver to Britain for a fair price? Look it up yourself, I get only German infos to my phone.
That's high quality stuff made in Germany, so if pricy, compare it with the German prices, which are fair for the quality.

Perhaps you can buy it where Stihl tools are offered. That's usually in seperate shops for professionals with own service work shop.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi
I wonder if anyone knows of a supplier of barrel (round) wedges. it seems they are not really available in the UK in a selection of assorted sizes. I know you can get the two wedges and a small wooden wedge pack but I make my own wooden wedges to the size I need. They can be imported from Germany or the USA but postage costs are just totally over the top.
I have tried just using a wooden wedge when restoring an axe but they do seem to work loose eventually, I am still at the trial and error stage with this. I would like to post a couple of threads on how I restore an axe and how I have modified a cheap car boot kent axe into a carving axe, do people think these this would be of any interest.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry, can't help with the wedges; I tend to just use hardwood but carry a few small metal wedges into the wood with me for 'quick fixes'.

I'd be very interested in seeing your take on the carving axe; I did exactly the same a couple of years ago and I'm well pleased with the result (write up in the thread below). I've 'restored' quite a few old kent pattern axe heads and use them all the time - they're really good value and the old ones are very good steel.

finished axe - 512 - 768.jpg

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Wow...So Silverline is useful for something?!? I would never have guessed it!!

Are the round ones better than wedge shaped ones? I can only recall having seen the round ones on cheaper axes.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I don't like them to be honest. They appear on a lot of engineers hammers and cheap axes these days. I think it's because they spread the wood in every direction at once, whereas a flat wedge just spreads it in two directions at a time; so it's cheaper than having two wedges in an axe and allows a tighter fit on a hammer with a loose fitting head (which would be cheaper/easier to install than a tight fitting one in a factory).

The problem I have is that they spread out in every direction equally, so if you have more space front to back than side to side in the eye, for example, then they don't wedge as tightly; or they are too tight already and the wedge won't go in! They are easier to remove than a flat wedge mind. I just took one out by drilling the wood from the centre, tapping a thread in the hole and then extracting with a bearing/gear puller!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I agree - they provide less control on the spread. If I do have to fit a steel wedge I will usually put it in at an angle - the angle will decide the balance of spread in the two directions. I believe that's how GB axes are wedged but I may be wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE