Does anyone know of someone who will cast iron lids for a small cauldron?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
40,651
6,711
S. Lanarkshire
I have a very old cauldron. It's cast iron, made in the Carron valley, and I think it's from their earliest period.
Russ (bless him :) ) cleaned it up for me, and it's in brilliant nick :cool:

It is missing it's lids though. Most folks don't know of the lids, but there were two on some cauldrons. An inner concave one, like a shallow bowl, and an outer convex one.
The space between was good for baking.

Years ago I met a fellow who sand cast, and he offered, but by the time I got around to measuring up I had lost his contact details.

Does anyone know of someone who would make two new lids for my wee cauldron ?

Thanks :D

M
 
I can't help you on someone who can cast for you M but have you thought of making clay ones from your lovely local clay? Would take the heat and be nice as your own fair hand would make them. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE