Does anyone else wear athletic shorts in the summer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Drewboy64

Feb 21, 2014
United States
Sorry if a similar post has been made before.

Does anyone else wear sort of gym shorts/basketball shorts in the summer? When it's colder out, I like wearing long pants with a belt, but I like the mobility that some simple athletic shorts give me. Of course, without a belt, you can't put your knife on your hip, but I recently made a little rope thing that I can wear around my shoulder.

I sort of see it as a modern version of a lot of loose clothing that various indigenous peoples wear.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
nope, I wear long lightweight trousers, actually Craghoppers (connection, yup thought I'd spam alot, seing as they fund me, why they're great craghoppers) . The benefit of sun protection, insect protection, and pointy stingy thing protection, whilst still giving fresh air around the legs is good. I have thought of shorts but then thought again. I actually wish a long sleeve shirt for summer.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah I prefer shorts for hiking. Usually 'combat' shorts with lycra cycling type shorts underneath. In fact the sun's shining so probably time to get my pasty legs out :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have worn all sorts on the hills, bike shorts (if there's no horses around to scare!), combat shorts, tweed breeks (an old fave), climbing/running tights!, tinga-tinga pants (early 90's had a lot to answer too!) and back in the day a kilt. Kilt was great on hotter days; though not to spectacular in midge/clegg season! Reminds me of the old cartoon of a highland soldier being asked about his war cry, the replies "WAR-CRY my foot - you try running through wet nettles and thistles in a kilt!"

So shorts are OK but preferred convertible trousers in really hot places or when the midge were abroad! Breeks were always good as you could roll your socks down on hot days or take them off while maintaining modesty on river fordings.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I wear shorts quite a bit, from about easater onwards, i was still wearing them in november last year. A friend of mine had his on at the weekend, but he is an ex pei so a bit of a poser.

Rob

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
I wear shorts right the way through the year.Favourites are lightweight Craghoppers which I cant find anymore.They have a drawstring,one buttoned side pocket and a rear zipped pocket.I've worn them that much that they are now falling to peices :(

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Cheap football shorts for me for when Im out in the woods, preferably without logos, stripes 'n' such. Ticks are the biggest problem but I hate being hot.

I wear a pair of 5.11 Taclite shorts day to day spring thru autumn.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
had to look up tinga-tinga pants.......

as a young un I used to wear Ron Hills lycra trousers.......swiftly learnt the error of my ways I went back to combat style or cargo trousers or shorts. Wore a kilt a lot too when working in Chile, it was ace in the desert :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am afraid that my shorts are like me - old, tired, a bit frayed in places, threadbare in others, heavy and baggy... neither of us is athletic any more....

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I am afraid that my shorts are like me - old, tired, a bit frayed in places, threadbare in others, heavy and baggy... neither of us is athletic any more....

Now that's a reply :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i wear quick-drying running shorts instead of underpants under my trousers, when its hot or i want a dip in river/lake i just slip off my trousers, when i need protection in thick cover just slip trousers back on over running shorts. i prefer that combination to using those zip-off trousers.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yeah I prefer shorts for hiking. Usually 'combat' shorts with lycra cycling type shorts underneath. In fact the sun's shining so probably time to get my pasty legs out :).

Lycra? Is that not a tad warm around the orchestra stalls? They need freedom and coolness if you want to remain 'fertile'

I wear shorts and cotton pants in the summer but like Mr Fenna non of them (or me) are athletic these days.

Can you get Hawaiian shirts with British trees and fauna print instead of tropical? Sort of keep in more with the bushcraft way.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Cargo shorts for me too for most of the year, had to have a few months in trousers over this last winter though as I had a nasty reaction to something out in the woods. My wife said I should learn a lesson from that, but I probably wont... Back in shorts now though!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Purely out of curiosity, how do your £3.99 et al cargo shorts compare in terms of 'lasting' over a pair of more expensive guardians of the loin?

I'm not a fan of shorts full stop.
I will wear them around the house in full on heatwave or possibly when in foreign lands where the climate demands it until I acclimatise then back to trousers
but soon as I'm going to leave the house its time for the shorts to be replaced with trousers.

its just personal preference and mild aversion to being stung scratched or sun burnt :)

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
For me it has to be combat type shorts.
They feature the same pocket configuration of the longer version, and I do like my pockets for the small essential items, that I always need close to hand.
I fear if I wore athletic shorts in public I'd be arrested for indecency, as my legs would be more suited to a small garden bird.
At least that's what my dad has always maintained.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE