Does anyone else buy stuff they don't really need?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
After a usual internet foray, i stumbled across the Maxpedition website and in particular the Colossus Versipack. Why i thought i NEEDED this for my new camera/day bag i have no idea, but i had to have it.
Now i'm fairly certain i could have found something cheaper, something i would use more often and basically something i really needed, but sadly my brain isnt wired like that.
So i was wondering if there are other people out there like me, who once they see something new and shiny and covered in bells and whistles, they have to have it? And if so, what was the last thing they are ashamed to say they bought?

Guilty as charged :)

and me your honour.
though i try to justify some of it by claiming i am testing it out before i recommend it to friends
and buy some for lisa and shannon which helps as i dont need it but you/shannon do :)

mind you the other weekend i walked back from a night out and realised the overbrimming response pack on the front of my pack contained absolutley nothing i had used. so off it came and has been put in the toys not vital section of kit.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I blame the internet, or shop windows. actually i blame everyone in advertising too... damn i can't help myself buying shiney new things.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
On the guitar forums its known as GAS or "Gear Aquisition Syndrome". i did wonder at first why people would post about getting gas whilst in a guitar shop but then i cottoned on ;)
its basically that sensation you get where your eyes light up and your mouth involuntarily goes "ooooooooooh"

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm the same;

I had loads of kit I've assimilated since I was a kid, but over the past couple of years (and especially since joining BB and BCUK) I've followed something along the lines of Large Sack's Upgrade....Diversify cycle. ;)

I saw a signature that a guy had on IForgeIron that read something along the lines of;

"My biggest fear is that, when I die, my wife sells all my kit for the price I told her I paid for it!"

How true.:rolleyes:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Justin case is a man i'd like to meet and tell him to leave me be!! I am Kit freak although I have quietened down a lot recently. Trouble is I can justify just about all of my kit and can also justify the The kit I want.

SWMBO can't see it but then I always have the "shoes" joker then we agree to disagree. I think the convienience of the internet and so many companys offering equipment for whatever your interest is make it almost addictive. I do find though, the 'hunt is better than the kill' a lot of the time.

Last edited:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i have aquired way to many axes from car boot sales and such. 'oh that will be great if it fit it with a solid handle!' only five have ever seen this treatment:) lol

other items include a little tirfor winch with no cable, several chainsaws and cross cuts but all these things have been broken so dirt cheep. yes i can fix the but i never seem to find the time:(

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE