Does anyone else buy stuff they don't really need?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I'm guilty of just got to have it syndrome, one that sticks in my mind was the craze of the polish army larvu tents.I had to have it at the time! Never used it lol.:)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I do find though, the 'hunt is better than the kill' a lot of the time.

Can totally identify with that. Since joining this forum and getting my survival gland morphed into Bushcraft I find I have loads of stuff that I'm picking up at bootfairs. "Ooooh look another canteen, how much? Really? That's a bargain. (check pocket for loose change) I'll take it, thank you."

I can potentially carry about 12 litres now in various containers.
If I see a tomahawk or hatchet heads without handles I'll nab it. I now have 6 hanging on a hook in my workshop, with hickory handles that I also buy up when I see them.
Two entrenching tools, one for each hand perhaps.
Drawknifes, got about four now that I need to contact people next on the list to say there's has been bought.

I've started to resist buying knives now and rucksacks as well as torches. But I did buy a 3m x 2m blue tarpauline at a builders merchants the other week because it was reduced to €2 That was the change I would have had from buying some spare bow saw blades. Like I need another tarp!

I ought to make up some emergency survival kits for both the cars and a grab bag/rucksack with all this kit I seem to have acquired.

But Lostplanet hit it on the head. The hunt is often so much better than the kill.

Glad I'm not alone.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I agree with Lostplanet too.

So often spent a lot of money on shiney things only to be place them on a pedestal basically once you have them.

I have however offloaded a great number of things in the past 18 months but the buying bug is creeping back in.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I don't (honestly) buy so much kit anymore. Clothing is one area that I do tend to update a lot. Mainly because my thoughts on this change a lot. I have 3 knives, all of them gets used fairly often. I find Buschcraft fairly cheap these days. But only because I already owned so much stuff. I like the DIY attitude.

Guilty of buying a compass recently though, but it was a chinese knock-off, so it doesn't count.

Yep! - take me out and shoot me now!

My problem has been experimentation. The problem is - unless you attend courses or go to loads of meets to see how other people get on, there is no other way of practical experimentation other than buying the kit and trying it out. The up side is that you gain experience and after a long - and very expensive period of experimentation, I think I'm pretty well sorted for kit.

For example - I used to walk a lot and experimented with going down the ultralight route - lots of synthetic fibres and titanium this and that - I spent a ridiculous amount on it before I realised that I was physically uncomfortable with it all. It brought me back to some fundamentals which suit me - wool/ ventile in winter, cotton/ ventile in summer, polycotton tarp and down bag, stainless steel and a fire for cooking, wooden spoon I made myself and cutting tools hand made by artists on this site (thanks JoJo!) - which I have neither the talent or time to do myself.

I'm older now so I don't walk as much. My kit weighs a ton but I'm very comfortable sleeping out at any time of the year and I keep a wardrobe full of redundant kit to remind me of the folly of the internet combined with a credit card! I still look at the latest "must have" and think "Hmmm!" - but, as time goes on - I am better able to resist the temptation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE