does anyone carry a whistle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

do you carry a whistle?

• yes never without it

Votes: 136 89.5%
  • nope, no need for one

Votes: 16 10.5%

• Total voters
B

Burbidge

ALWAYS, no exception as electronics can fail and people will ALWAYS react to the sound of a whistle!

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
I'm with southey and burbidge on this one - never like to depend on electronics/batteries.

jenks

Aug 29, 2004
county durham
Only when I'm wearing a bouyancy jacket. There's no mobile reception where I am working. Oh, and when I'm out of the range of mobiles when on land. A phone is electronic, it requires a power source and is most likely to let you down when you need it the most. If you're operating a chainsaw you are supposed to carry a whistle too, but with other saws working and hearing protection on who's going to hear it before you exanguinate?
The whistle I have is a Fox 40, its very loud.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
got one on my keys, one in every first aid kit and a few others scattered throughout the kit.

As regards to which one, any is better than none. Although I think the rescue howler (fox 40 micro) is probably one of the best:

142_335x335.jpg

I've got a few of those whistle, match case, compass thingies (pound shop!) in inside pockets of coats that I tend to grab if I'm going for a bit of a bimble - I know they are not the best at anything, but they are better than nothing. I always carry one after I once fell into a ditch and sprained my ankle while walking the dog, I wasn't very far from civilization, but far enough not to be found for a long time had I done any more damage than a sprain.

248-290.jpg

They are handy for other things too, such as if out with a big group that begins to split apart, a whistle can be used to get their attention (especially kids). Just because there is an international distress call, doesn't mean you cant blow the whistle at other times!

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I always have two whistles on me.

One is expensive, kind of discrete and polite (useless), the other is a cheapo plastic give away (Malibu drink promotion 1988) with a pea in it which works brilliantly.

I'm thinking of getting one of those semi circular sheep whistles.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi gang...folks just because you have'nt used your emergency kit(first aid /survival kit) yet does'nt mean your never going to use it....i always keep a whistle in my pocket and an extra one in my survival tin....vince g. 11B Inf...

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
I allways carry one.

In fact i used one in a real rescue situation to help mountain rescue home in on us in the dark. Allways carry a bivy bag a whistle and some food and water. I would also recommend a torch with a strobe function.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I would also recommend a torch with a strobe function.

Hehe... I bought myself a Petzl Tikka XP recently, which has both a whistle and a strobe. First thing that crossed my mind was "are they targeting this at ravers"?

I'm guessing that's not quite what they intended... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE