does anyone carry a whistle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

do you carry a whistle?

• yes never without it

Votes: 136 89.5%
  • nope, no need for one

Votes: 16 10.5%

• Total voters

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
hi

i was wondering does anyone carry a whistle when they go hill walking or camping in the wilderness? or has the mobile phone replaced them as a call for help?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Yes, on lives on my keyring permanently, and I carry one round my neck for hill walking on a lanyard with an inova light.

Dave

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have to say sometimes yes sometimes no. There is no option for that. Reason being that I oftern form part of a larger group when out in the hills and we naturally tend to carry less individually and more as a group. Then I tend not to carry a whistle. It is attached to my compass lanyard so if I have that I have my whistle. Although I have an admission that even if I'm no my own I don't always take the compass which also means no whistle. Its a case that I know my patch well so often find I don't need even a map. Bad practice I know but in benign conditions in an area where I know every single nook an cranny I find that even IF I carried stuff like that I'd not use it. Suppose that misses the point of emergency equipment, you never know when an emergency will happen (or you would skip that day) so you should have the gear anyway.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
me too usually carried in responce pack or in shirt/jacket pocket. such a lightweight essential bit of kit can't imagine not having one.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I once arranged to meet Brenda and her friend in a town square after they'd been looking at shops, her husband and myself went round the outdoor and ironmunger shops. They were just walking off at the far side of the crowded square so I blew a blast on my then Acme thunderer. The whole square stopped for a split second, in a sort of time freeze, and Brenda said "that'll be Danny" and started to walk across to us, the friends husband Chris said "I'll have to get one of those" just thought I'd share cheers Danny

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
lots of reply's so far and i agree a whistle is a great piece of emergency kit.

what type do you all use or recommend as the best, i have a acme tornado cant fault it.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
As a bushy alternative, I suppose you could just use a piece of grass if you haven't got a whistle.
Place the blade tight between your thumbs and blow - may take a tiny bit of practise but it's fairly easy.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i always carry one when out walking, its a nifty little thing with a built in compas and thermomitor, twas only cheap but it does the job.

5.10leader

I do carry a whistle, and compass, more through habit than anything else. After many years spent in the mountains I have been fortunate in never needing a whistle as an emergency device.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE