does anyone carry a whistle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

do you carry a whistle?

• yes never without it

Votes: 136 89.5%
  • nope, no need for one

Votes: 16 10.5%

• Total voters

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I always have a Fox 40 with me and all of the people I take out the bush carry one as well. It isn't often that we have a cell phone signal in the mountains of Central Brazil, and to get one often means a steep climb. The bush itself can be very dense and a whistle makes sense to alert the rest of the group that someone has run into trouble. The whistle is one of the only signals that works really well in dense jungle. Mac

ETA - As long as I have fingers I'll be able to whistle very loud. The question is, do I really want to stick those DEET and grime covered fingers in my mouth?

Last edited:

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
and here's one for all you scuba divers out there

http://www.whistleworld.co.uk/shop/Storm_Safety.html

after all one never knows :eek:

I have one of those and they are very, very loud above the water - I made a lot of peole in the NEC turn around when I got mine some years ago. They aren't that loud underwater though - more along the lines of trying to get your buddies attention if they are close. Flashing a torch on the side of their mask is much better.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Rummaging around at home today whilst packing kit i found my old pea whistle "The Acme Thunderer" it will be going with me on my next trip.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have one of those little bullet whistles and a mini led torch on a small keyring in my day bag, never had to use either yet but for what they weigh it seems a no brainer

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
I carry a whistle (quite large- about 2.5") that I got out of a christmas cracker. I've never used it (even tested it) and (touch wood) won't ever have to. However, even just typing this has made me think 'er, perhaps I'd better actually test it...'. I keep it in a pouch with my SAK on my webbing.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
One on my keys and one in my pocket when out hiking. I can whistle through my fingers like a good un, but if your hand is broken you can't whistle for ****

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Yes always carry one - on keyring, in map pocket of my waterproof etc. Usually a glow in the dark Acme Tornado:
Acme%20tornado%20whistle.jpg

Also following a game of hide and seek with my kids where they heard me shouting them, but thought I was trying to trick them into showing themselves :rolleyes:, they also carry one attached to their coat zippers. When I give up looking for them I blow the whistle and they reply with their whistles and know that they have beaten me (again!)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when im working or tabing i always take one out on the hills and have a pack of red minin flares (10 x flares) and 1 red smoke just in case i break my ankle or leg.

i dont tend to take any with me when bushcrafting but im normaly never over night and dont get to go far normaly due to lack of places to go......bummer

if i was going for any length of time out of the way all of the above would go.....

good thread peeps....

chris.............................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE