does anyone carry a whistle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

do you carry a whistle?

• yes never without it

Votes: 136 89.5%
  • nope, no need for one

Votes: 16 10.5%

• Total voters

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have been known to take a tin whistle or a piccolo out with me into the woods, and a small e flat piccolo is extremely shrill in the high notes, I don't doubt that it carries. Never mind standard emergency signals is there a tune one can play when one is in danger - nearer my god to thee, when sinking in quicksand perhaps :)

I do have a whistle/compass and torch thingy that came with a pair of Karrimor KSB's that I have put with my FAK. I've got one or two other small whistles lying around, some I consider a bit dubious. I used to have one of the dubious whistles, on sale from the likes of Millets and Go Outdoors on my keyring till the fipple came out. I was not impressed. As for the plastic ones, they all seem a bit fragile to me, If I could find something that would not split or collapse if you drove a car over it, I might consider it a good buy. My 'tin' whistle would survive that test, it is very solid brass, something of equivalent quality would be quite a find

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well I dunno, I suppose I ought to have said if you put your foot on it. I myself have sat on a variety of things that have not survived the experience.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Another vote for a pea whistle - pretty much everyone in the UK has been subliminally conditioned by the things, from P.E. at school to football on the telly, everyone hears it and takes some form of notice. Just as QDanT said re his Thunderer, a whole street will stop for a split second (this is an observation, not an instruction to test the hypothesis!) if you give it a good toot :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Always have a couple with me - wood, horn, antler or good old plastic - especially if I am in the hills or on the water!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Always have an acme tornado on my keys and several more dotted about my kit. One attached to the first aid kit, one attached to my compass and one on my firesteel

acme_signal_slimline.jpg

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
One on my key ring.
One in my kit.
One of my rucksacks came with one built into the chest strap buckle!

PREPER............ :)

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
I use the Orange one featured,the kids have it and when they go off too the loo they feel a bit safer knowing they can call us if needed

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Yep, always carry one.
One in the survival kit, one in the FAK, one on mt chest strap on a built in buckle. Even with a GPS and a top quality grid reference you will still need a whistle to home in on you especially in rough, undulating, dense terrain.

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info
Aloha,

I carry two whistles when I'm on a hike with friends or group. (Hike=American term; can't rememeber the Brit term).

For example: If we're lost/injured and one person goes looking around, he takes a whistle with him. The party remaining/waiting has the other whistle. This provides a communications channel between them. It also doubles the signaling-for-help factor.

If the scouting party loses the way back to the main party, the whistle helps him re-locate the group.

It's such a cheap and ligihtweight insurance. Prolonged shouting only results in a hoarse throat. Besides, I cannot whistle, with or without fingers, one-handed or two.

Second thought. As much as I like pea whistles for its more distinctive sound, the pea drives me nuts with its rattling, so I prefer pealess ones such as Fox, JetScream, Perry, Storm or similar.

Jim FBtE,
Ancient hiker
Honolulu

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2007
I have one with a British army penknife ciirca 1950 and peanut lighter on some hi viz paracord around my neck when ever I go out for a tab. In the Australian never never you cant get a signle on a mobile phone so have to have a sat phone. Plus in top pocket of bergan an orange air marker panel and heliograph .

About covers it if you take a fall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE