Does anybody else hate DPM ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Personally I can't abide anything DPM and try to stay away from any that looks military. That said, it doesn't mean I don t like military kit, I just don't like looking like a soldier when I am no longer one.

What ya think ?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I have never been a soldier but I think that dpm can be very handy when it comes to things like hunting/shooting.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Just curious; Is it just DPM or camo stuff in general? How do you feel about alpenflage, flecktarn and other military camo kit? What about Realtree and the like?

Z

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Just curious; Is it just DPM or camo stuff in general? How do you feel about alpenflage, flecktarn and other military camo kit? What about Realtree and the like?

Z

Don't like any of it. Unless your hunting, stalking or bird watching, then I can't think of any use for it.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
I'm with Paully, 9 years in the Army, when I left I kind of vowed I'd never wear dpm again. I don't know why, maybe too many memories, or maybe I used to get really pee'd off with people wearing dpm all those years ago when they were not in the Army!

Having said that, I have just been given a brand new Army dpm day pack, so maybe I will wean myself gently back into the world of the 'divvy pattern material'!

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Some folk wear it because it is cheap. Not everyone can afford all the 'named' gear out there in shop land.
I'm still in the military on the TA side of things. And I understand what you are trying to say. But I don't have the same issue with folk wearing a combat jacket to keep warm in the winter when walking the dog or somthing like that.
I only get concerned when they are wearing webbing aswell instead of a back pack

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
Personally I can't abide anything DPM and try to stay away from any that looks military. That said, it doesn't mean I don t like military kit, I just don't like looking like a soldier when I am no longer one.

What ya think ?

I usually feel a bit silly wearing my DPM anorak, but, it's all the Goretex I could afford! I have gone out of my way to give it FLUORO-LIME-GREEN (that bright) hood and hem pullcords, I'm thinking of something equally un-mil for the flash...

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'll happily wear most camo, in fact i have both styles of english dpm, 4 types of american, 2 russian, and danish, i'm looking at expanding that in the future.
i dunno i just really like em.

hey its cheap available and fairly tough why should some one who hunts have to have a second outdoor coat to please others when they arnt hunting

if they are in full cammos and boots with a Beret may look a little odd.

but some one in jeans walking a dog in an old cammo jkt isnt exactly going for the military look

i still wear some on occasion dont see why i should chuck out perfectly good working cloths and pay for new to get wrecked (mate ripped an expensive pair of jeans last week helping me do a bit of fencing ).

i now have a mix of Military (most 15yrs old + ) and civy stuff

ATB

Duncan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lots of country blokes wear cotton DPM smocks cos they are cheap and have decent pockets (and they don't rustle, delaminate and make you honk like "gore-sweat" does).

Personally I think life is too short to critique other peoples clothes based on the pattern. Last time I looked this isn't "bushcrafts next top model" Who gives a rats ar**? Wear what you like and extend others the same privilege

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
so wearing Nike running shoes to walk to the shops for milk in is wrong too?

what about Rab mountaineering teeshirts to go dog walking in?

i had a racing bike as a kid,...never raced on it,..used to just go to the park on it,...

my mate has a sports car, he just goes to work in it,.he isnt a racing driver

if i wear DPM do i have to shoot people and eat rat packs ?..

not being confrontational ,...just trying to get across that LOADS of products in the world are designed for specific use,....but are useable in soooooo many other areas,....

Stu:D

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
i wear DMP combat trousers loads, they are great, warm, cool, dry easily, massive pockets ect, i dont care about the material, i just like them.

I will go along with combats , i have been wearing them since about the age of 12 they are just comfy and practical trousers i don't really care what design the fabric is i just use them for comfort .

Craig.........

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think I've only ever owned a couple of pieces of camo, one was a smock when I was about 13 when I started paintballing and the other was a goretex bivvy.

The thing about DPM is it's designed to keep humans hidden from other humans, an animal couldn't care less if you're dressed in neon orange or pink. The disruptive pattern helps not to give you away whilst hunting critters but it's certainly not enough, you still need a good level of fieldcraft to get your kill.

I think camo can be handy if you're wanting to keep to keep yourself out of sight of other people for whatever reason, being unobtrusive in the woods can make for a quieter weekend in some places no doubt.

Surplus gear is cheap as a rule and usually fairly hard wearing, for mucking about in the woods with your mates it's hard to beat, I still wouldn't wear it myself though, I do wear greens, browns and black but they're usually a solid pattern.

Oh only place i cant wear British DPM is Bisley ranges (any more)

tho they never said anything about it at the 600yrd point on Century

FGYTm16.jpg

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Some folk wear it because it is cheap. Not everyone can afford all the 'named' gear out there in shop land.
I'm still in the military on the TA side of things. And I understand what you are trying to say. But I don't have the same issue with folk wearing a combat jacket to keep warm in the winter when walking the dog or somthing like that.
I only get concerned when they are wearing webbing aswell instead of a back pack

+1

I don't like seeing people fully kitted out in camo, or seeing students wearing dress uniform as a fashion thing (particularly the lad in the union wearing a sniper smock :()
However the kit is very good, cheap and plentiful.

Function over form in my book.

But I guess Paullyfuzz, you have the same feeling as I do towards brown. I had a brown uniform at school. Can't stand wearing it again! lol.

Andy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Paul, I've reached a point in life where I am happy with my 'self image' in every way and don't give a toss what anyone else thinks regarding clothes or anything else about me for that matter, they don't count, any issues they have are their problems. When you are happy with yourself use what you want, everyone else's view is not important.

DPM is fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE