Does anybody else hate DPM ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Funnily enough, I was once mistaken for being a member of the SAS when I wasn't wearing any DPM. I was waiting in an empty departure lounge at Gatwick just after 9/11. I was flying out to Dubai to visit my sister but going in a cargo aircraft (as it was free - I knew the ops manager). Since it was winter and I was warned it was going to be cold, I was wearing desert boots (sand coloured suede boots - not military surplus, as I recall I got them with tokens from Newcastle Brown Ale bottles), brown corduroy trousers and a Barbour. I'd packed all my stuff in a big military Bergen as didn't think a suitcase would have been suitable.

A lady disembarking an arriving flight was seated next to me to wait for a wheelchair - she asked me if I was waiting for a wheelchair too. I replied no, I was waiting for a flight to Dubai. She asked where everyone else was, I replied "No, it's just me". She said "I expect you can't tell me what you'll be doing out there". I just smiled...

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
Depends on what you're like as a person I guess.

I often see people wearing DPM gear and I never think "hmm what a wannabe". To me DPM is affordable hard wearing gear. I don't wear it myself but I do have a few pairs laying around that I use for walking the dogs and messy jobs.

My trousers cost £80 and my jackets range from £180 to £300. I don't mind paying the price for them as I put them through hell and they stand up to it. I roll around in the mud, sit next to fires, hop over barbed wire fences, the lot.
Unfortunately though, I've seen people in similar gear being very cautions, in fact, that's an understatement. I once witnessed a man, in the same trousers as I wear along with a Bear Grylls jacket (probably somewhere in the region of £100+) stop every time he heard a hawthorn rub over the outside of his jacket, cautiously inspected every inch of it, then carried on..:eek::confused:. Before he stopped to take a sip of water, which took all of about 5 seconds, he took out a foam pad from his ruck sack to kneel on so his trousers wouldn't go in the mud. About 30 seconds later, he was on his way again.:eek::confused:. It wouldn't have been so bad if he was older and suffered with his knees ect. But he must have been about 23 and looked as fit as a lop.

Some people are very OTT about using their kit for it's manufactured purpose. it's very strange.:rolleyes: If DPM works for you, for whatever reason, I'd wear it. Personally I don't think you're making yourself out to be anything by doing so... That's from an ex squaddie.

LJ

Last edited:

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
Just to echo what a lot of people have said - it's about the person an how they are acting that's important rather than what they are wearing!

As an ex squaddie & now a cadet instructor I still wear British DPM etc but when on a 'civvie' trip I'll go for green or tan coloured clothes - more for a change than anything else!

One thing, what about non UK cammo kit?

Only because i've got a few bits of Australian cammo kit - it's bloody bright an doesn't do much for you in a UK forest!! Although it is very different.

Den

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
I've started dying my olive drab stuff forest green or black. The forest green blends in just as well but doesn't look military. I ride a scooter and tend to be wearing an old West German parka - I don't want anyone thinking I'm a MOD! :):)

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
i wear dpm quite a lot :confused: obviously not when im out in town or im at a posh resturaunt or something, but just around the farm i wear it, as i can get it as mucky as i like and don't care, usually the products with dpm on them are quite cheap as they are army surplus. i also hunt, so i can get it as dirty or smelly as like and it dosnet matter. why the camo hate? those going t the bushmoot will porbably see me in a pair of dpm trousers, does it really matter what you wear? i'm not trying to look military or playing soldier or anything, it's just army surplus i generally practical and cheap! so what if it's camo?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE