Do you carry a folder for Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 27, 2007
essex
OK, so the general opinion in bushcraft seems to be that folders

(I mean folding knives) are no good, so do you carry one?

I have to say I always carry a BUCK knife as I find them better for small jobs, especially when foraging :)

I know we can't compare a fixed blade with a folder, and I no the differences, pros and cons, etc through my work, this is merely a do you use them question.

So do ya?

Kris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A folding knife will happily skin an animal, create feather sticks, carve wood, cut meat and do many of the jobs a fixed blade will do. I wouldn't want to use it for battoning though, and of course it has a weak point that could fail at the most inopportune moment. Saying that, the longest most of us go out for is a weekend, maybe a week at most, so it really isn't a problem for us. If you lived in the backwoods of Canada or Alaska, you may want to re-hink which knife you took along with you.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I agree with spamel, my Opinel covers 90% of my needs and is a much better food slicer than any of the 'proper' bushcraft fixed blades. Of course it has its limitations such as batoning or splitting, but that is what the axe is for :)

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I carry a folder with me when I'm out and about in the bush, usually a 3 blade stockmans knife or my SAK Rucksack model, even if I have my fixed blade with me coz they are great for fine work and light cutting jobs and for times I dont want my fixed blade to be seen in public, but I still might need to cut some thing, also when I'm out rock climbing my SAK comes in very handy...

Cheers,

Karl

Sep 27, 2007
essex
I agree with all of you. But it always surprises me how many people seem to avoid using them just because they read in a 'Survival book' that only a fixed blade should be used.

Bushcraft and survival are two different beasts and a nice folder is a handy partner for its bigger brother IMO.

Kris

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
as long as any knife is a) well made b) kept sharp and c)looked after and maintained, you should never have a problem mate, buy one good knife and keep it for life.
A huge proportion of folding knifes are tatt, best to spend that bit extra on a goodun, will save money in the long run.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
my grandad gave me his folding knife, made in 1950s, and still serves its purpose for me today, they still had something of a built to last mentality in the 50s i reckon, i dont know when that largly got lost in the manufacture of things in general, but its a shame, a lot of good metal gets wasted,,

Sep 27, 2007
essex
my grandad gave me his folding knife, made in 1950s, and still serves its purpose for me today, they still had something of a built to last mentality in the 50s i reckon, i dont know when that largly got lost in the manufacture of things in general, but its a shame, a lot of good metal gets wasted,,

Thats very true. There is some complete rubbish around these days!

Kris

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
...many people seem to avoid using them just because they read in a 'Survival book' that only a fixed blade should be used.

Kris

I suppose it depends on what you have read, and in what context.
If you only read that comment and only have experience of "cheap copy red handled penknives that regularly fold onto your knuckles" then you are likely to believe it blindly. If however you have researched your knives and bought the best you can afford - then maybe there is scope for some bushcraft use - like Spamel says. I use folders for most tasks daily but if I'm heading out to practice some bushy skills, then it is more likely I'll have axe, saw and a choice of edges anyway.
I think they have their place, but as a safety concept, a blanket statement keeps everybody a little bit safer.

Ogri the trog

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
he used that knife at work for twenty years, never sharpend it ( he was as into bushcraft and the outdoor life as im into wearing tight spandex at a millwall match) i was the first to re sharpen it after he gave it me, but if you look at rivit and handel, you can tell the factory it came from (its factory nowt special) put the customer first where design and function came in.
Too much cutting corners to fill shareholders and owners pockets these days (god i rant on soz to all who have to witness it) it gets my goat

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I pretty much always have a cheap little stockman in my pocket. It's a nasty bit of Chinese-made 440A, but it does the job and I don't care if I lose it. The bevels did take a lot of sorting out though, and they're still not really right...

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I have a little folding knife in the car glove box and on my key chain. Simply for emergencies my thinking being cutting through seat belts, opening a box of paper, hey shoot me I work in an office no paper, no work that's an emergency!

But I use a fixed blade when I'm in the woods, but only coz that's all I have, I can see that carrying a folder when on a bimble may be easier.

P

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
My EDC is a Gerber liner lock that I absolutely love, it is used far more than any knife I own and I do own a few ;) . It holds an edge like you wouldn't believe and comes back razor sharp with a quick swipe across my DMT diafold every time. I use a fixed necker and bushy made by Jojo for the more bushcrafty tasks and if you don't own one of his blades yet do yourself a favour and get one. For unzipping bunnies I personally think a fixed blade is overkill and under effective and that's what I tend to do most so, as has been said before, it is very much task orientated as to what you tend to use :)

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I literally wont leave home without a small locking folder, today I'm sporting a Trendy Fox, 50mm. blade nice little cutting tool and if it gets mucky can go straight in a bowl of soapy water. Generally used for opening cartons cutting packaging all the mundane daily tasks

For skinning I use a fixed blade stainless skeleton but don't know the makers name, blade length 35mm. and will do upto Roe size without to much difficulty and again soapy water or dishwasher.

Like to carry a fixed blade when out and about for heavier cutting jobs, I also pack a heavy blade when camping for use around the camp.

However as someone pointed out recently when you are in a fix any blade is better than no blade at all.

Pothunter.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Always:

ratcat2c.jpg

ratcat1c.jpg

ratcat5c.jpg

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
There is always a folder or two in my pockets and they'd still be there and still be used if I was out in the woods. Ogri, no need to even buy the best you can afford, a sub £10 Opinel will serve perfectly well!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Opinel when bimbleing about. Leatherman juice xe6 and frosts mora when camping. Axe for the heavy stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE