Do you carry a folder for Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Always:

ratcat2c.jpg

ratcat1c.jpg

ratcat5c.jpg

Hoodoo, that's a finelooking knife.
Did yours arrive to as you as blunt as mine did to me?

I always carry a Moose pattern knife in my pocket (normally a Remington Lumberjack or a Ken Erickson), and it takes care of about 80% of what I need a knife for on a regular day. And about 60% what I need a knife for when out and about.

/ Karl

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo, that's a finelooking knife.
Did yours arrive to as you as blunt as mine did to me?

I always carry a Moose pattern knife in my pocket (normally a Remington Lumberjack or a Ken Erickson), and it takes care of about 80% of what I need a knife for on a regular day. And about 60% what I need a knife for when out and about.

/ Karl

To be honest, I don't recall. Usually with slippies that doesn't concern me too much because it's a given I'm going to reprofile and convex the edge.

Here's another one of my favs for woods carry. To be honest though, both of these knives get carried edc. I just switch back and forth. I prefer the RAT for the woods because of the awl but I rarely go anywhere without the Vic Spirit on my hip so I always have an awl handy anyway.

winchester28805v1c.jpg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That Rat looks lovely Hoodoo
Now if they did one with a wood saw instead of the sheeps foot blade that would be brill...
And pehaps a single handed opening blade

Mark

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Now I’ve perfected the way to quickly and easily remove the lock from my Opinel number 6, I carry that in one pocket and the locking ring in the other, should I need to lock it, I do, most of the time I never locked it anyway, but it’s there, just in case.
I keep a shoe knife handy for opening boxes, there is a lot more that a thin bladed folder can do. if not my Opinel then I've a SAK classic. (small, silver two bladed job that I have for many years)

yup,
spyderco delicia, half serrated, I bought it about 10 years ago in an American BX for $19, originally as an emergancy knife for climbing. Since then however it's been used for pretty much everything from cutting ropes to food prep. Cracking wee knife and keen as razor the fine edge has been dressed once or twice but the serated portion is just as sharp as it was new, and I've not had to do anything.
cheers Tim

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Good ol' SAK Hunter sits next to my possibles pouch (in an Opinel pouch!!) Even if I don't take the fixed blade, the SAK comes along.

It's amazing how many people at meets say "Anyone got an awl" or "Got any scissors".

Pablo.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
My old EKA big swede has served me well (bit me a couple times too at the start ) plus you can take the scales off with a coin to clean it. :D

Swedish stainless steel too.

Andy

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
To be honest, I don't recall. Usually with slippies that doesn't concern me too much because it's a given I'm going to reprofile and convex the edge.

Here's another one of my favs for woods carry. To be honest though, both of these knives get carried edc. I just switch back and forth. I prefer the RAT for the woods because of the awl but I rarely go anywhere without the Vic Spirit on my hip so I always have an awl handy anyway.

winchester28805v1c.jpg

That's certainly a beaut too.
I do like the moose pattern. :D

I was trying out the RAT as edc for a while, but found it slightly too heavy for my taste.
To everyone his own.
It's definitely a goodlooking and very handy knife though, and I do bring it along every now and again, but in the rucksack or in the jackets pocket rather than in the trousers.

/ Karl

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do like a folder. I have two "EDC" folders - my SAK (which I use a lot). Its absolutely stock but it does have a rather nice topknot pouch and lives on my belt

473344250_429025c83c.jpg

When I'm at work or just pocket carrying it has to be my Trevor Ablett. The best value for money, English, hand made pocket knives in the world.

495025798_4239b9c521.jpg

My other choice is very unconventional. As people who have seen the PFK will know, I like a "precise" knife since I use an axe for rough work. I bought it because of its slim lines and scandy grind (try finding a slim baded scandy folder some time). It came with a silly "tacticool" set of scales that I hated so Bushwacker Bob replaced them for me (kind bloke that he is)

396820407_519590c252.jpg

396820405_217a4585e2.jpg

In short, yes, I like a folder for light use. It doesn't replace a fixed blade but I often don't need a fixed blade when out for a day walk or with my camera.

Red

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I rather suspect that you meant a non-locking folder, though even a locking folder needs to be used with a degree of care when putting pressure against the lock.

As far as I can see it's horses for courses. I tend to carry a SAK lumberjack with me, but then my bushcrafting knife needs tends to be restricted to trimming off branches in my local wood that the local kids have ripped off.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I sometimes complement my sameknife with a friction folder, the peasant knife by Svord (NZ). Also carried for more 'civilised' outings, such as foraging around the house or if I don't intend to be out more then a couple of hours.

Find it really neat, keeps a wicked edge and due to it's design, I would almost certify it as fool proof.

When I was in the army I used to carry a Leatherman but it never saw much use. Didn't like the feel of it.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
SAK Farmer model goes on all outdoor trips, along with a sturdy fixed blade.

I totally agree. I got one last year and aint looked back since. Much more sturdy than the normal SAK's, thicker and larger blade, and still legal EDC :D Although, I'm thinking about making a slipjoint from scratch in the very near future. I have the plans, materials and tools. Now all I need is the confidence and time to do it :)

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
i have folder but i am the other way round to some, my fixed gets used 90% of the time and folder 10%.

folder mainly for getting dirt from under finger nails and then peeling orange:tongue-ti

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've got a few folders that I use for work, I have a Eka Masur, A Schrade Simon got this because it has the same name as me, a Opinel no 8, a sak type knife that was my Grand fathers and a couple of others.

Simon.

blackwolf1

Dec 12, 2007
Auburn,Maine U.S.A.
Still snowing here,so I am still logged on.
I carry a SAK Farmer as an e.d.c. knife.About a year ago or so,I attended a 3 day primitive skills class. The blades I brought with me were a T.O.P.S. T/B Tracker,Bark River North Star,and my Farmer.I have to say the Farmer was used for about 90% of my tasks.The saw is excelent,as is the reamer/awl {great as a drill}.Just a great tool,that I never leave the house without.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE