Do stainless steel wood stoves eventually rust?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gearpac

Nov 6, 2007
North Wales
Hi,
Been contemplating a wood stove and the various options.
Whilst doing some browsing, I see a few reviews for the Helsport Stainless Steel wood stove for their tents, yet, the ones in the videos are nearly all rusted like heck.
Surely if they are stainless, they shouldn't rust. Or is the stainless effected by the continued high temps?

Curious, as the Eldfell and the Heslport are not cheap.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, 22 gauge steel is used in some of the good stoves, and they do rust. Im awaiting a kni-co stove from the States, and Ive been wondering how to extend its life. Paint, Sand, Bricks, a grate....etc?

I'd like to know what the best way to extend a stainless steel wood burning stove is?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Remember it's stain-less steel not stain-free steel. Avoid overheating your stove and it will last a bit longer.

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
There are various grades of stainless A2 and A4 are most common A2 is more susceptible to rusting but is easily removed and
A4 marine grade is much better for harsh environments but is more expensive.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yep, all stainless steel rusts at high temps. The alloying elements migrate from the steel surface at high temps from oxidation and chemical attack from the burning fuel causing the rusting. Some stainless steels are much better at resisting it, 310 grade is about the best but will still rust eventually.

Keeping the temps down will help the most and burning charcoal will cause most damage as it burns at a higher temp than wood.

Gearpac

Nov 6, 2007
North Wales
Hmm. So are you better in fact, price wise. Buying a steel wood stove and just painting with stove black?
Not seen a black eldfell or helsport yet on any forums, so suspecting probably not. lol.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think its just a question of good upkeep gearpac.

The stainless stoves, and flues I've had have turned into beautiful hues of coppers and blues.

Last edited:

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
The terminology is just a matter of how technical terms migrate to common language. Stainless is a much better descriptor of the properties and purpose of these steels. Its a huge group of steels with different properties that should be chosen for a specific application.

Oxidation is like any chemical reaction and goes faster at higher temps. Roughly double the rate for every 10 deg C. Add acids/base and water from combustion and thatabwhat happens.

I sprayed mine with stove paint just to keep the outside easier to keep clean and.looking good. The top gets scratched from cooking though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes, 22 gauge steel is used in some of the good stoves, and they do rust. Im awaiting a kni-co stove from the States, and Ive been wondering how to extend its life. Paint, Sand, Bricks, a grate....etc?

I'd like to know what the best way to extend a stainless steel wood burning stove is?

A grate helps air flow and burning and keeps hot embers off the bottom of the stove. Now I only 'base camp' I burn coal/smokeless fuel, 20kg will very easily last a winter weekend and you don't have to check the stove so often. You'll be surprised at just how much wood you go through on a winter trip.

Gearpac

Nov 6, 2007
North Wales
bigroomboy - any chance of a photo of how yours looks blacked up?

rik_uk3 - doesn't coal burn hotter than wood? Surely that would risk getting too hot, wouldn't it?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
bigroomboy - any chance of a photo of how yours looks blacked up?

rik_uk3 - doesn't coal burn hotter than wood? Surely that would risk getting too hot, wouldn't it?

Yes, hence my use of a grate to help air flow, combustion and keep the coals off the base of the stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE