Do combat boots give better ankle protection?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I have an issue with one ankle in that I've strained it several times over a few years and now its weak and I'm clumsy which isnt a great combination. One of the contributing factors is that for a long time I had collapsed arches which made my feet unstable after a few miles. All this is sorted now with some orthotic insoles and some really comfy Altbergs. However, I still occasionally twist my ankle and I would like some ankle support whilst out walking.

Do higher combat boots give more ankle support over a traditional size hiking boot? I know they won't stop me twisting my ankle but some additional joint protection would be great.

Thanks,

Craig

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Good quality combat boots are designed to give support in this area. Remember, soldiers are often moving fast over harsh terrain with heavy loads without having their hands free, so it's an important factor in combat boot design.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Not always. I think it depends on the boots as some military boots are very soft, combat boots are more theatre and role specific these days. I recently got a pair of the new Altberg Defenders and was surprised how soft the ankle area is compared to my Scarpa SL's (a standard three season mountain boot).

Have a think about the terrain your walking on and get the boots for that environment. If your regularly walking on really rough terrain I would look towards a mountain boot rather than combat boots or soft hiking boots. You can easily test boots by bending them in your hands - a mountain boot will hardly bend at all.

Last week I was training next to some Royal Marine Mountain Leaders most of whom were wearing Scarpa Mantas (a four season civilian mountain boot).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The support for the ankle is heavily affected by the support given BELOW the ankle, to ligaments and tendons, so although combat boots do give a "splinting" effect a lower cut boot can give more support than some higher cut boots.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
John; mil boots can be better for support but there are other factors like weight and tread to take into account. It used to be the standard thought for ankle support having boots but if this was the case, how do we support our knees, hips and lower back which can also take a beating. I would concentrate on building up the strength of your ankle and associated soft tissues first. Many use approach shoes when walking now which offer no support and mountain runners are a prime example. Balance boards are great for building support in ankles and knees mate and throw in some custom orthotic foot beds for you boots to aid foot placement.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you fix the ankle with a supportive boot, the stress will be transmitted to the knee.

Boots should allow the ankle to flex.

-Flex? Yes.
-Twist? No.

Sprained ankles are common. Sprained knees are near nonexistent. "Bad" knees, however, are quite common. I have them (in my case, shredded ligaments that had to be scraped) and occasionally have to wear a knee brace.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Do higher combat boots give more ankle support over a traditional size hiking boot?....

Combat boots are the traditional height (size) for hiking boots. The shorter heights are only about 30 years old or so.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd go "plus one" for Janso's advice.

Work on the strength of your ankles (both of them) ideally with some guidance from a sports physio, then once your ankles are up to snuff, look for a boot that's comfy.

And one that will actually sty on your foot. Gumbo mud will suck anything less than 8" high right off your foot.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
-Flex? Yes.
-Twist? No.

Sprained ankles are common. Sprained knees are near nonexistent. "Bad" knees, however, are quite common. I have them (in my case, shredded ligaments that had to be scraped) and occasionally have to wear a knee brace.

I've seen a stress fracture of the femur, I know what I'm talking about :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a joint hypermobility problem. You would not believe the angle at which my ankles bend over but the upside of that is they bend but don't break. I can recall a nurse of my aquaintance suggesting that extra support is counter productive, in that you need to build up muscles to support the weak joints. I am certainly not sold on restrictive walking boots.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
But knee injuries are more common when stiffer boots are worn.

Look at the waiting room in any ski resort to see the extreme end of that spectrum.

A lot of soldiers wear ankle height boots or approach shoes, the higher leg style offer little extra in terms of support.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Great - thanks.
I do use well fitting boots with a custom orthotic insert now and its helped my stability no end. I was originally sceptical of the cost but they are worth their weight in gold. However, this last sprain is the first one for about 2 years so I was disappointed to say the least -hence my question on taller boots. However, I will build up my ankle muscles before going further down the new boots line.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But knee injuries are more common when stiffer boots are worn.

Look at the waiting room in any ski resort to see the extreme end of that spectrum.

A lot of soldiers wear ankle height boots or approach shoes, the higher leg style offer little extra in terms of support.

No soldiers I know of are allowed to wear ankle boots.

But to be clear here, we've actually been discussing ankle "support" whereas the OP asked about ankle "protection." I assume "support" is what he was really asking, but in any case, shorter boots offer no "protection" at all. Not from snake bite. Not from bumps. Not from sawbriers. No ability to properly tuck your pants leg into them to protect from insect entry.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Definitely want - its just convincing myself I need them...

You know you need them - at least on an emotional level :)

I have picked up a shed load of injuries in my knees and ankles over the years - I badly sprained my knee when I was 20 and had a dislocated Fibula for several years (not picked up by the NHS!). Over compensation wore my other knee to rags and that is now my worst knee... Tendonitis in both Achilles tendons was another side effect, as was a twisted back so severe that I pulled the first rib out of position and was in danger of losing the use of my right arm as the nerves were being crushed twixt rib and collar bone... mind you the lack of support to the muscles in the shoulder area due to my breaking C6 vertebra when I was in my teens did not help in this...
I tend to wear high leg military boots rather than lower cut civvi boots.
I chose them to fit well, have custom orthotic insoles fitted (to help throw the leg into the best position) and make sure that the boot supports the foot well BELOW the ankle and that there is adequate flex in the boots for normal flexure of the ankle combined with lateral stability at the heel and twist resistance in the rest of the sole unit. The high leg gives some support to the ankle, helping resist "going over" but most support comes from lower down. I chose lighter weight boots to help prevent fatigue.
Most of the function of the high leg is to protect from vegetation and insect invasion, protection from briars and brambles, knocks and abrasions.
Such boots have helped me stay in my chosen career of Outdoor Skills Instructor and Expedition Leader for over 30 years, despite my injuries (though I did use civvi mountain boots for real mountain walking, winter hill walking etc - it is hard to get crampon compatible military boots :) ). I still instruct in Bushcraft Skills though age has decreed that I no longer am able to keep fit enough for the climbing, expeditioning etc I once did ...
With exercise and a good physio I have avoided the surgery I was told I needed on my knees ... for 30 years!
I am sure good boots has helped here :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE