New-to-Me Matterhorns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I picked up a pair of surplus/used full Leather Matterhorn boots with Goretex lining.

My comparisons are with my German (2000?, MkIV?) army boots with stitched sole that have never fitted me properly.

First impressions are of well-made boots, but much less substantial than the Germans, reasonably good leather and not much padding in the ankle. There are no speed-lacing lugs either.

The intial fit is far, far better for my feet, feeling much more snug around the fore-foot than the strangely high and voluminous German boots.

The boots were supplied with a pair of sorbothane insoles, but these are a bit thick to wear with my orthotic (flat-foot-correcting) insoles.

Without the sorbothane there is a bit too much space around the top of the foot (probably where they've been stretched) so I've added some memory foam(! from a local discount shop) insoles which take up the space.

Walking around the office in the boots I was immediately slipper-esque comfortable and they feel much lighter than the German boots. The ankle support isn't that good, but there is some resistance to rolling-over.

Walking around at lunchtime the boots still felt very comfortable.

I'd like a bit more protection in the ankle for my motorbike commuting although the Goretex lining might make it a bit difficult to add any foam 'armour'.

So far, I'm pleased.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE