Regatta Holcombe Mens Isotex walking boot review / £40 thereabouts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

emm dee

Jul 9, 2019
bristol
Im tired of going into shops and asking basic information from the staff who cant say one way or another basic information about basic products they are selling.

such as:-

Q. Are Regatta isotex fabric boots costing around £40 1. Waterproof and 2. As waterproof as say something costing over £150 from Scarpa or Solomon etc.?

Ive had quiet a few walking boots over the years but never ventured into 'economy territory' until I bought the Regatta Isotex fabric boots.

This Regatta/Isotex fabric is indeed completely unequivocally 100% waterproof. Unfortunately there are other issues with the boot that reduce waterproof effectiveness. In particular the join between the sole and the fabric I found to be a major weak spot for water ingress. It is in fact the sole of this boot that means it is unrealistic to compare it to a Scarpa/Other Premium hillwalking fabric boot.
The Regatta sole is not much thicker than what you would expect on a pair of good quality brogues. This causes additional problems when hillwalking 1.Comfort - you can feel every stone and peeble you walk over all of the time. 2. Support - the internal boot sole has 0 support it is as flat as a board and on longer walks tiring. 3. Warmth notwithstanding the problem with the waterproofing and the fact that the fabric has pores in it to breath the very thin sole makes this a very cold boot, perhaps consider buying thermal insoles? or a different boot.

Considering the entire boot not just the isotex fabric the boot did stay dry when walking through rain deluged urban streets, walking on a wet forested trail (avoiding puddles >5cm deep). Going through waterlogged mud so long as the depth of the mud did not reach the fabric-upper/sole join (about 5cm). Going through rain-sodden dense shoulder height grassland (however when I used the same wet grass to clean the mud of the sides of the boot it caused noticeable water ingress)

So all in all a bit hit and miss regarding waterproof capability

Q. Would I recommend this for hillwalking (300m+)
No, unless the weather was warmer (usually not the case) drier (pick your day carefully) or I could get back home and change into something dry and warm inside of about a 3-5 hour walk max.

Q.Would I consider buying this boot again?
No. Unless budget considerations came into play.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE