Disability and behavior of members

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I felt the need to write this post, Its very long but I’m serious. I do not want it to be taken the wrong way, I am not attacking people or having a rant, and I am not trying to stir the pot,
I’m not after a debate, and I hope people with ASD are not offended that I might `be a voice`, Im speaking as much for myself as others, I see behavior in others that used to be directed at myself, I do not wish to say nothing and see it directed at others.
I just want to explain things how I see it.
I just feel it needs to be said, because I was beginning to feel quite sad at the moot and my attempts to explain certain behaviors I am familiar with was usually met with shaking heads and a refusal to accept that certain persons (more than one, at least three infact) can behave in certain ways because of disability.
If I ask most people to define various developmental disabilities according to the accepted diagnostic criteria they admit they are unfamiliar with the actual different areas it covers.

So if nobody knows what a developmental disability IS…..how are they so certain they know what it ISNT?

So I think the community needs to think about these issues. It is everybody’s community. Bushcraft is for everybody. The solitude of the woods is attractive to many people for different reasons but I notice it is especially attractive to those of us defined “disabled” or `different` in someway and find the rat race or polite society too much to handle. Infact I don’t think I’ve met a completely normal bushcrafter yet. Certainly none of you lot!!
It is probably necessary to explain the behaviors of the spectrum seems as we are so often to be found hiding in the woods.
While the vast majority of bushcrafters are tolerant, good natured and accepting individuals, there are those who are not. No more so than the normal populace, but these issues should still be challenged head on to make the community a better place for all of us.
I was diagnosed with Asperger’s with dyspraxic tendencies as a teenager. I spent most of my childhood quite lonely and often bullied and my attempts to hold conversations with people usually went badly wrong, resulting in hostility and making me the butt of jokes. I dealt with it as a child by withdrawing. (Others deal with it by trying harder and harder!) As I did not understand all the dynamic intricacies of social ritual I simply give up trying to engage in it. Nowadays I am an entirely different person. I am lucky to have read enough books and picked up enough tips from the asperger community to socialize and move incognito to the point where telling people I have aspergers hardly seems relevant .
I now work for the National Autistic Society and they themselves know nothing of my previous diagnosis. It’s kind of a private joke I’m having with myself and I’m also there because I care about the way other people with autistic spectrum disorders are treated and in helping them get the most out of their lives that they can. When I see other people treated the way I used to be treated, I feel very uncomfortable and this is why I am writing this.

In short I’m very familiar with the whole autistic spectrum of dyspraxia, hyperactivity, tourettes, aspergers, and kanners autism , I spend most of my time with people who’s behavior is so extreme , blunt and hyperactive that members of the public literally have ran away from us.! I can handle this because I don’t really care how people behave, I just accept them for how they are. It isn’t that hard, it really isn’t.

Socializing is actually pretty hard to do, the majority of the populace are born with an inner instinct to pick up quickly how their immediate culture communicates both directly (verbal) and indirectly (body language). Because it is inbuilt, they are baffled by the idea that somebody else may have to learn the entire pointless ritual manually.
It involves precise understanding of the ritual of conversation
Turn taking
Eye contact
Body language
Facial expression, both reading others and creating ones own.
How close/far away to stand
Speech:
Prosody, pitch, tone, volume.
Topics:
What is appropriate. What is not. (and this changes depending on the company, or how well you know them!)
Reciprocation:
Making the right noises, nods, eye brow raises and the rest at all the right times.

To learn this manually takes time, (and to be honest, why should we) Please try understand how hard it is to juggle all that manually, you would have the same trouble if you were placed in an another culture you knew nothing about. Imagine how stressed you might feel to keep making so many social gaffs and draw out their tempers.
On top of that, spectrum people have many other behaviors to manage. (of course many of us don’t actually care what the hell others think of us, and we are all the better for it!)

Anyway perhaps the bushcraft community can try to be little more understanding of these problems? If people butt in a conversation, or we say something odd, or we stand too close, or speak to loud, or tell you your bottom really does look fat in them trousers then just telling us to stop doing it won’t work no more than shouting at a person with a speech impediment will make them talk better. Could you imagine if a person with a bad stutter turned up at a meet, who took so long to say something it got laborious to talk to them, would you dream of responding to their “hello” with “ Just f**k off you” You would be banned from the site and rightly so. Yet apparently its acceptable to do this to those who’s disability is hidden no matter how much we try to explain the fact we have a recognized disability.
In peoples clamor to slag off individuals behavior they have failed to examine their responses to such behavior and ask if they themselves have reciprocated in an acceptable manner.

So if we are going to attack members for their behavior can some consistency be shown to equally unacceptable behavior in return? Or does BCUK find it acceptable to treat somebody badly on the grounds that `lots of people cheered` Sure some behavior traits of spectrum people can be annoying, odd or plain unacceptable, but at no point have myself or others behaved in a way which was bullying or criminal.

Bullying is setting people up in nasty practical jokes, being verbally abusive and back stabbing.

Criminal involves physical assault. (I have watched this at a previous meet)

We can all agree in the sober light of day it is never acceptable to treat another person that way, so can we please extend that to the campfire as well.
Like I said before, the vast majority of people are kind, probably because you are all a little nuts yourselves, but having seen an escalation of this behavior in a small number of people at the moot, I want to make it clear how I feel on the issue.

There is no such thing as normal anyway, if you are not diagnosed with a “disorder” then you are neurotypical. Neurotypicality when defined with the same language used to define the spectrum disorders looks a little like this:
http://isnt.autistics.org/

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i guess that explains why your art is so damn good! you have my support,i hope we meet some time and can have a cuppa and a chat.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Firecrest, thanks for posting the above............I was not at the bushmoot, I did not here or observe anything about which you refer above.........

But I often see inapropriate behaviour from all types of people, some of which is because they cannot help it due to some personal problem and as such is excusable.

Sometimes it is because they know no better, and this can be addressed with edcation.

Unfortunately, sometimes it people who do know better but chose not to act in a civilised manor, inexcusable!

Your post above is attempting to address the later, but I think you would be better attempting to address the second criteria I've posted. Many will not know what the conditions above are and have no idea how they manifest. I work with people every day who have problems of some sort, within both the Probation Service and the Mental Ill Heath environment, but have to admit to not being fully conversant with all aspects of the above, but I'm constantly learning.

I feel that the more yourself and others ( like me ) help the general populus to understand Mental Ill Health and assocciated personal problems, then the less prejudiced and negative responses will be encountered.

So what about posting a simple list for the syndromes/conditions you mention above with a short description of how it may manifest, I'm sure it would be most enlightening to the majority of forum users.

Smoggy.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Well said!

Over here, far and away from the moot, I don't know the circumstances that inspired this post, but I think I can imagine the situation.

I have two close friends with Aspergers syndrome and sometimes the world can be very cruel to them even here in San Francisco, an exceedingly friendly and tolerant place.

In my mind, the larger issue is the one you raise: everyone should try to treat each other decently and refrain from attacking or mocking others whether they have a disability or not.

That doesn't mean we can't disagree, it just means we do so with respect.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Frankly I'm confused. :confused:

I truly was not aware that there was any bullying at the Moot :( and I dearly wish the issue had been raised there.
I'm sorry that whatever behaviour you observed was so dreadful that you felt the need to raise the issue in this fashion, and I am absolutely certain that the rest of the Mods will feel as ashamed as I do that we did not notice and resolve any problems there. Indeed one of the Mootley Crew was diagnosed with Aspberger's years ago, so we are quite aware of the problems it can cause in everyday life.

I have always found this community, and others of a similar vein, to be incredibly tolerant of the foibles of others, but I accept we all have our limits.

I concur with Smoggy, perhaps it would help the issue if people were better educated in the effects it causes. Education and awareness is the least we could offer.

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Frankly I'm confused. :confused:

I truly was not aware that there was any bullying at the Moot :( and I dearly wish the issue had been raised there.
I'm sorry that whatever behaviour you observed was so dreadful that you felt the need to raise the issue in this fashion, and I am absolutely certain that the rest of the Mods will feel as ashamed as I do that we did not notice and resolve any problems there. Indeed one of the Mootley Crew was diagnosed with Aspberger's years ago, so we are quite aware of the problems it can cause in everyday life.

I have always found this community, and others of a similar vein, to be incredibly tolerant of the foibles of others, but I accept we all have our limits.

I concur with Smoggy, perhaps it would help the issue if people were better educated in the effects it causes. Education and awareness is the least we could offer.

cheers,
Toddy

The behavior I am disappointed with is well known about and came up in many conversations with many members I spoke to. The problem is not that it is unnoticed but that it is unrecognised., because, like I said, it seems the community has come to imagine that it is acceptable to behave in certain ways towards some individuals.
Even Tony probably doesn't recognize where he slipped up but also engaged in the foul play of admonishing a person with a learning disability for behaving precisely how that disability is defined in the DSM4. I felt sick when I heard that and I am angry about it. If people feel a persons behavior is unacceptable there is better ways to get it across to them than shouting at them.
As BCUK is an organisation with more than 12 members it has a responsibility to read up and recognise both disability and the disability discrimination act. The same said person was struck over the head with the butt of an axe in the dark at another meet, - a criminal offense he could sue for, yet that went unreprimanded by all present.

If you like I will send some links worth reading on the nature of social disability, or books if I can be assured they will be read.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
well said firecrest this is a subject close to my heart

the reason for this is i am dyspraxick and also hayperactive at times

but can i just say this community has also just accepeted me as well and alot of them see me as mates and not many people do that.

so cheers firecrest cos if you had not written this i would have.

nice talking to you to firecrest at the moot it was good to talk to someone who understands

drew

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lyndsay, I'm missing information here.
Tony has to be the calmest of people...........I don't think I've ever heard him shout, and to say that the same person was assaulted at another Meet ??

Clearly this is something you feel incredibly strongly about. I have no wish to hide matters under the carpet, but can I ask that if you are not prepared to publically name names then you pm me or one of the other Mods so that we can figure out how to deal with this ?

Kind regards,
Mary

p.s. Drew you're no bother, is that why the photo of you chopping wood shows such a delighted grin ? :D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well said firecrest this is a subject close to my heart

the reason for this is i am dyspraxick and also hayperactive at times

but can i just say this community has also just accepeted me as well and alot of them see me as mates and not many people do that.

so cheers firecrest cos if you had not written this i would have.

nice talking to you to firecrest at the moot it was good to talk to someone who understands

drew

Yes lots of people genuinely think your cool drew:You_Rock_ Im sure you know who we all are.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
i guess that explains why your art is so damn good! you have my support,i hope we meet some time and can have a cuppa and a chat.

Cheers Fish. I wouldn't swap my AS for the world, like you have noticed, we tend to also be given a talent in the bundle as well.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Firecrest, thanks for posting the above............I was not at the bushmoot, I did not here or observe anything about which you refer above.........

But I often see inapropriate behaviour from all types of people, some of which is because they cannot help it due to some personal problem and as such is excusable.

Sometimes it is because they know no better, and this can be addressed with edcation.

Unfortunately, sometimes it people who do know better but chose not to act in a civilised manor, inexcusable!

Your post above is attempting to address the later, but I think you would be better attempting to address the second criteria I've posted. Many will not know what the conditions above are and have no idea how they manifest. I work with people every day who have problems of some sort, within both the Probation Service and the Mental Ill Heath environment, but have to admit to not being fully conversant with all aspects of the above, but I'm constantly learning.

I feel that the more yourself and others ( like me ) help the general populus to understand Mental Ill Health and assocciated personal problems, then the less prejudiced and negative responses will be encountered.

So what about posting a simple list for the syndromes/conditions you mention above with a short description of how it may manifest, I'm sure it would be most enlightening to the majority of forum users.

Smoggy.

well hopefully I can use this thread to enlighten people a bit more;)
first we need to make the distinction between your own field and mine. Autism and its family of disorders are not mental ill health. Mental health issues are transient. Autism is a developmental disorder, this means it is the permanent state of the mind present from birth or early childhood and cannot be `fixed` (if its not broke...!)
Ill post more in the morning but for the most enlightening understanding of the most severe forms of autism,(not the kind you'll ever just happen to bump into on the street then this womans youtube videos are the most powerful things you will ever watch on the subject
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnylM1hI2jc

the talking starts halfway through but it should be watched in full.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
A very interesting post, Linz. Perhaps I can add my thoughts?

Over the last few years, I have become a VERY open-minded individual. I challenge myself every day to do better; be better, than I was yesterday. I actively learn from mistakes and analyse past and current behaviour to try and determine future action. Even against this backdrop, it has been and continues to be tough for me to deal with situations that I don't understand or have no knowledge of. Your post has taught me a great deal.

I wonder therefore how hard it is for people that don't share my open-minded attitude or desire to improve; it is this thought that for me has given your post such an impact. Perhaps it is the realisation that it is not the sufferer that has the problem but the rest of society in the way that they react to it.

I learnt a lot at this years moot; a lot about myself mostly. I'm better and more committed for it. Those that taught me probably don't even realise it.

How the issue is dealt with though is very tough. BCUK can inform themselves to the extent of expertise but how do you educate members that don't want to learn? There is no obligation for members to do so and how would you enforce or encourage the right behaviour?

I know you didn't want this to turn into a debate but I'm interested in your thoughts as a far more informed individual than I. Happy to conduct by PM if you want?

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
"the measure of a society is found in how it treats its weakest and most helpless citizens"

I'm not suggesting that those with developmental disorders (or any other disorder) are weak but I think the point is there.

I'm new to this site and wasn't at the Moot but I know well that of which you speak.

I see ignorance and neurotypical psychopathy every day directed at those of us who are different from the 'norm'.

I believe one should be able to act/behave/ do as one wishes as long as it harms no other.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just a comment - I am sick to death about being told we must 'value diversity' by exhortation without practical examples - thank goodness for some real discussion about a real problem that will help us to begin to understand real issues about real people - and how to behave/respond.

On that point - and I know nothing about the particular circumstances of the moot because I wasn't there and have not spoken to anyone who was - just how would you want people to respond if someone is behaving in a crass or offensive way - just tolerate it because they may have some kind of developmental problem?

The difficulty in responding to mental /developmental problems is that - unlike physical disabilities - they are not obvious to someone else unless trained in how to identify them

Just trying to get some practical advice on this

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
such a well written and long post to start my day with, well put firecrest!
i wasnt at the moot but i can imagine that the behaviours witnessed are a result of nervous p***taking by individuals that has gone too far. not excusable by any means but possibly a reason.
i am notorious for doing this at my works where my mouth has got me into trouble with my boss, so i can see where someones jokes and sense of humour can be construed as bullying to another.
were the people involved ex military? i say this because i am ex TA myself and this is where a lot of my bantering ability comes from and as such i think its normal behaviour.
for example me and another colleague was joking to an old guy of indian descent that his married daughter would be better off with my colleague. funny to me at the time but the indian guy stewed over it for two days before he went ballistic at me in the office for dishonouring his daughter. needless to say i took him outside and and issued a grovelling apology about my actions and he graciously accepted.

on the subject of aspergers syndrome and related conditions my friend chris who some of you will know from my overnighter post, hes the one who someone on here knicknamed ladypacker manson because of his tents name and the fact he looks a bit psycho lol
anyways i disgress, his daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD and possibly a touch of aspergers.
she is a very willfull child who is eager and very friendly with the uncanny ability to hold very grown up conversations for a 6 year old.
we love it when she comes into work because she dumbfounds the nigerian guys we work with "she speak like little old lady" is the comment we hear all the time off them lol.
unfortunately part of her behaviour is that she doesnt have a sense of danger and without the medication to calm her down she has been known to run out into the road in front of cars.
all of chris's friends and family have now got to the stage where they understand why she is sometimes loud and pushy but to the uniformed she can sometimes come across as rude and naughty which she doesnt mean to be.
as firecrest has pointed out people with this condition simply dont have the knowledge and understanding of social ettiquette that the rest of us do.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
The difficulty in responding to mental /developmental problems is that - unlike physical disabilities - they are not obvious to someone else unless trained in how to identify them

Just trying to get some practical advice on this

I grew up with a quite severely autistic younger brother, in the days before the condition had even been heard of by most healthcare practitioners. Social workers, GPs etc had no idea what to do with him. He's the most wonderful guy, but could never live alone in normal society.

Anyway, unless you know what you're looking for - a certain awkwardness of body language that can be distinctive in *some* autistic people - there's no way of spotting the condition until the individual starts talking. And if the first thing they say is the wrong thing, then the damage is done before you can explain. Comments such as "Isn't she fat?" or "Look Daddy, a n*g-n*g" (pointing at black person - no idea where he learned the expression) have landed us in near-miss fist-fights with the individuals concerned. Amusing with hindsight but not at the time, and not for the subjects of his attention.

My point is that if someone who's had little exposure to autism/asperger's meets an individual who has it, then they might not be entirely understanding. That doesn't excuse their behaviour, nor does it mean that folk should go round with a sign on saying "I've got asperger's", but sometimes a little leeway is needed.

That said, if it reduced to the level of bullying then the culprits need to be dealt with - there's no excuse for that regardless of the situation.

Tobes

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If someone staggers, 1/2 full of whisky and loud of voice, into my bivi area in the early hours (when children were [blessedly] still asleep) when I was enjoying the peace and quiet with my first coffee of the day and revelling inmental solitude, merely to let me know that they have yet to get to bed....then I will, as I did, tell them to "F off" in no uncertain terms (including why they should)!
I am showing no prejudice or discriminatrory behaviour here - developmental disorder or none they would get the same treatment. :)
The object of my wrath at the Moot later came and apologised for his behaviour and we remain on speaking terms and I expect that he has learned not to rouse a drowzing bear!:D
I also work with people with developmental issues and probably give those who have these probs even more leeway than those without them - but then I am a big softie at heart (who mentioned Bagpuss?)
Some folk can recognise the obvious examples of developmental disorder in others but do not see the more subtle cases and just see someone acting like an annoying prat and treat that person as an annoying prat. Others can see the issues and deal with them as apropriate.
Education in both directions can help the situation and erradicate the "bullying" and the agrivation.
Mind you - I also think that "friendly banter" and "Kidney Filtrate Extraction" of a similar intensity to that inflicted on your other buddies is still fair practice and gives some a sense of "belonging".
One of my roles in life is as the butt of many a joke (great...thanks folks) but I take it in good part. As long as the recipient of the wind-ups etc is happy with the banter etc then that is fine - if not...that is unacceptable bullying!
IMHO

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE