Dick's cabin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
How nice it would be if a person could build themselves a cabin on their own land in the UK, without being prosecuted by their local authority planning department and having their cabin destroyed!

I had a planning officer inform me that my 'cabin' (actually a 21' long ridge roofed 1960's built holiday home on wheels) was not allowed on the (rented) land on which it sat.

She got rather cross when I explained the aspect of Law which meant that no planning or environmental breaches of Law had occured, therefore she was at best misinformed.

I never heard from her, nor her employer again!

It was rather nice to be in my 'cabin' and pick blackberry's through the window and to feel the gentle rocking of the structure when the wind was up.

The funny thing is, this was in Harlesden, London, not in the countryside!

It makes me sick that we can only build something like that on our land, if we earn a fortune from the land by sucking it dry of resources and then pay a fortune to the authorities. :soapbox:

On a happier note, I just watched the 9 min documentary too and it is so beautiful and inspiring that I filled up.

:)

Cheechako

Apr 1, 2007
Bridgend, South Wales.
I never realised that his cabin was still there and just as he left it.....truely amazing.

Have read his book a few times and always find it inspiring. He thought nothing of ripping planks from a log with just a hand saw, "a work-out for his arm".

Most of us can only dream of a life in the wilderness.....

Dave.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yep loved the book and the movie.His cabin has been protected for quite a while when he left it to the state. Yes agree on most points here folks would love my own cabin and planning in this country sometimes is a little annoying.
Am guessing if you built a cabin on a caravan chassis you could get around it?
Anyhoo I'm off to look at building a log cabin.
dave
These 7 vid's are quite funny have a look try to watch them all.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oseCVRhOE2g

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE