Design icon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Am I really the only one who just doesn't like Swiss Army style knives?
Lots of little tools none of which do the job very well, merely OKish...
Just a waste of money.

5.10leader

I'm sorry but I disagree (almost) with Durulz. I really do find my SAK useful both in and out of doors.

The ( almost) is due to the fact that there are some blades which I have not used but I guess it's a case of "please some of the people some of the time..etc".

Am I really the only one who just doesn't like Swiss Army style knives?
Lots of little tools none of which do the job very well, merely OKish...
Just a waste of money.

No, you're not the only one. I agree completely. Knives, by definition, are for cutting. I feel the "Leatherman" type multi-tools are more useful but I seldom carry one of those, either. However, I always carry a knife - usually, more than one .

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I use them as an example when i teach design "what is a classic design" to 12year olds they are a classic weather you love em or hate them they have been around such along time in very similar form. They have to do their job effectively or they would have changed or gone out of business. Personally i like mine comes in very hand for some little on the go jobs but as the dissenters are saying big heavy jobs require more substantial purpose built tools.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A truly stunning design are the SAK in terms of use and utility in a small package. My favourite is the Huntsman,The can opener works well, the saws are fantastic for cutting stakes for shelters, the awls really work, the bottle openers and corkscrews are fully functional. I've extracted many a splinter with the tweezers. The large blade is fine for most tasks and the small a great whitler. I've trimmed a hangnail and many other things with the scissors.

In the "large" format (Wenger Ranger 57), its a large and versatile tool.

A classic becasue it works and works well

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The basic blade/cork screw helped me out many a time on camping trips to France back when a litre of wine you could actually drink was 50 pence (long time ago).

To be honest I find a basic Leatherman more useful these days.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I always have a Victorinox Farmer (a Soldier (aluminium handles, etc.) with a saw) with me. OK, it is not truly fantastic as a cutting tool but it has answered every call for basic jobs whenever and wherever I've been. The best part of it in my opinion is the tin opener - works superbly on every type and shape of tin. I use it in preference to the one in the kitchen drawer (which is useless). Years ago, I was staying in the Argentiere hut above Chamonix and noticed an American climber who was offering to open anyone's tins for the princely sum of 1 franc per tin. By the end of the afternoon, he'd paid for his supper. His tin opener? The one on a Victorinox SAK!

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
I have a swisschamp in my bag and an opinel 6 (legalized) in my pocket every day. But I would still break out the leatherman surge when the work needs to be done ...

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The basic blade/cork screw helped me out many a time on camping trips to France back when a litre of wine you could actually drink was 50 pence (long time ago).

Reminds me of the W. C. Fields' quote:

"Lost my corkscrew once - had to survive on food and water for 3 days!"

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE