Decent Orbital Sander - How much do I need to pay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hi All,

Not really a Bushcraft query but as it relates to wood, it is sort of related.

Today I added another specimen to my collection of broken consumer grade sanders, I now have at least 5 in a box none of which are repairable or if spares are available, they are not far off the price if a new sander.

The normal sequence of events is that I will be busy doing some work that requires a sander (yesterday and today it was sanding a pair of manky looking Adirondack style chairs), the sander will give up the ghost mid-job so I will hurry down to the nearest DIY store and buy something in the £40-50 range to finish the job and which I will use until the next failure. Apart from the frustration, I hate waste.

By my calculation, I now have well over £200 worth of busted sanders and although I have plenty more fun things I would like to throw my savings at, I would welcome any thoughts people may have as to what kind of budget I need to break the cycle and get a decent sander which hopefully will not break but if it does, will be economic to repair. While it worked, the Black & Decker one I was using was great, 125mm head and interchangeable "flatiron" shaped head for getting into corners.

Alternatively, do I just go and get the cheapest one that looks like it will do the job.

Looking at mains but wouldn't rule out battery or air if not daft money.

Any thoughts, very welcome. :)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The post above is spot on.
Clean the switches, and check the carbon bushes , they may need replacing.

However, the old adage still applies.
" Buy cheap, buy twice"
The Makita range is pretty affordable and of great quality in my opinion.
You'd expect to pay around £100 for a decent one.
Batteries or corded also affects the price.

Hope it helps.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Have you tried cleaning the switches ? Often the cause withany powertool that produces alot of dust.or the bushes ?

Latest model to bite the dust ( can you see what I did there! :lmao:) was a B&D KA280 no spares other than sanding attachments seem to be available. Brushes seems likely, I had been using it heavily the day before (8 hours) and it started running a bit eratically, then carried on working without any real power. I'll have it apart and see whether there are any user serviceable bits and maybe see if I can find some generic brushes that would fit.

last a lifetime. gotta get a compressor if you dont have one though.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-d...ThHuNujcr2NeN2Jrh2HM8aAj4_8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

A compressor is defintely on my longer term shopping list when funds permit but would only want to buy once so would like to get it right both in terms of quality and capacity. Seems to be a lot of love for SGS and 100 litre would seem to be more than adequate both for sanding and other workshop jobs I have in mind but a big investment and I don't want to be rushed into making the wrong decision.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/bundles/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor-tool-kit

One thing that makes me wary of a compressor is the dire warnings against using an extension cable - I will have jobs 50 metres plus away from a power source and I don't want to have to invest in a generator as well and 50 metres of airline seems a bit costly and unwieldy.

Thinking about it, my options seem to be; (1) another "throwaway" 240v sander, (2) a half decent Li-on sander or (3) a compressor plus air tools.

Any thoughts gratefully received - Mrs Nomad has a list of projects involving a lot of sanding which must be done by 10 May! :(

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
The post above is spot on.
Clean the switches, and check the carbon bushes , they may need replacing.

However, the old adage still applies.
" Buy cheap, buy twice"
The Makita range is pretty affordable and of great quality in my opinion.
You'd expect to pay around £100 for a decent one.
Batteries or corded also affects the price.

Hope it helps.

If it was only twice, I'd be happy!

Thanks will have a look at both brushes and Makita range. :)

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I was and still am a Makita fan for years and quite a few tool purchases. My work has been buying Milwaukee recently though... honestly they are the best power tools I have ever used.

Though I havent used Festool. Lol

Snake

Maker
Jan 5, 2017
North Wilts
The idea with a compressor is not to get an extension lead and move the compressor, it is to leave it under a wall in my case, and get a good length of air line (hose), i like the retractable ones.
As i never move my compressor i also don't see a need to get one on wheels, the size of the tank, only really effects how often the motor trips in to recharge.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 for Makita here! Have quite a few tools on 18v battery as working away from power (apart from 1000w inverter for charging) and work supplies additional tools that are corded.
For a sander, battery is ok but expect to swap out batteries quite a bit on bigger jobs. If you're at home then corded is much much better.
Have a compressor in the garage but never looked into air tools although an air nailer is the only 'tool' that gets used by it.
Milwaukee have earned a good rep; Festool is top dollar but could never in my life pay those prices!!! Can't complain with Makita although brands normally start the 'Stihl or Husqavarna' type debates!!! Erbauer aren't bad for a Chinese brand trying to sound German...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a screwfix Erbaurer electric orbital (round pad) that has done good work for what I paid, but I doubt it is up to what you need.

Some years back my B&D Wizard tool ceased working, turned out that the spring shaped torque transmission part had sheared. I was able to get a spare and fix it! I was amazed. There may be spares for brushes, if you manage to find the right place to look.

The two brands that come to mind are Mirka and Festool. Both pricey, but have a good reputation as professional grade tools. Anyone tried one? I would expect spares should be available, but I don't have anything by either, so never found out.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I normally buy Dewalt, Makita etc ... but a yellow Clarke orbital I got from Machine Mart a few years ago is still doing a great job and has had a lot of house refurb work.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
You considered checking your local Gumtree? Quite often alot of decent makes on there, may be worth a look if you dont mind second hand.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Thanks for all the replies, plenty of food for thought. I wish I wasn't in a hurry (again) and had time to work out what is best. I like the idea of a compressor but don't want to rush into buying a cheap one that won't be up to the job.

I took the recently deceased sander apart, nothing wrong with switch or brushes, the nylon drive flange had just worn away and seems to be a non-replaceable item. Can't really grumble much, it was a consumer grade bit of kit and has had some heavy use but a bit frustrating.

Your comments confirm my thoughts on Makita (never owned one) and I'll have a look at the other recommendations.

You considered checking your local Gumtree? Quite often alot of decent makes on there, may be worth a look if you dont mind second hand.

Nothing wrong with secondhand - I'm a moderator for my local Freecycle group, Gumtree's for posh folk who don't mind paying for stuff! ;)

The idea with a compressor is not to get an extension lead and move the compressor, it is to leave it under a wall in my case, and get a good length of air line (hose), i like the retractable ones.
As i never move my compressor i also don't see a need to get one on wheels, the size of the tank, only really effects how often the motor trips in to recharge.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Is using 50 metres plus of airline viable, I have various things that need doing a fair way from a power source - a petrol compressor would be great but expensive.

Thanks again all, much appreciated. :)

Snake

Maker
Jan 5, 2017
North Wilts
as long as it is 3/8 air hose I dont see a problem just running an air sander, small air motors dont need that much volume of air, I have 1/2 steel and plastic plumed in around alot of the farm, so I can plug in where needed but I am probbaly up to 100m away, and that runs everything required, we used to have to roll out rubber airlines to where needed before it was all plumed in and that worked fine just inconvenient.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Thanks again all for recommendations.

In the end, I went for a Makita BO6030 which after shopping around for best price seemed to hit the "sweet spot" between the consumer grade offerings and the really expensive kit. Having checked the spares list, all parts likely to break seem to be available at sensible pricesso should be a decent long term investment - one I should have made years ago but also one I could have done without having to make right now.

Arrives tomorrow and Mrs Nomad has a long list of jobs to be completed by next Monday!

as long as it is 3/8 air hose I dont see a problem just running an air sander, small air motors dont need that much volume of air, I have 1/2 steel and plastic plumed in around alot of the farm, so I can plug in where needed but I am probbaly up to 100m away, and that runs everything required, we used to have to roll out rubber airlines to where needed before it was all plumed in and that worked fine just inconvenient.

Thanks, that does sound interesting. Shame I have not got the time right now to work out what I need but long term both for in the workshop and around the place, this makes a lot of sense. :)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
That sander is the mutts nuts bud.
Good purchase , you won't regret it.

Like you said , it's easy to replace broken bits, parts readily available and it's trade grade (pro) not DIY.

👍

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
That sander is the mutts nuts bud.
Good purchase , you won't regret it.

Like you said , it's easy to replace broken bits, parts readily available and it's trade grade (pro) not DIY.

👍

Cheers, I've been using the Makita for a couple of hours this afternoon - very impressed, an investment I wish I'd made a long time ago.

I'm not sure that using power tools is ever really a pleasure but using this is much less of a chore. :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
About 20 years ago I paid around £55 for a Makita palm sander. My wife thought I'd gone mad when I got home with it and wasn't happy at all that I'd "blown" £55 on a "toy".It's had some heavy use. I've used the same sander for every job relevant to the tool and many others that weren't really and its never let me down in that 20 plus years.

I use a lot of De Walt power tools at work and they're pretty good too but I'd buy Makita for preference. Not so keen on cordless as the batteries never last more than a couple of years at work.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Cheers, I've been using the Makita for a couple of hours this afternoon - very impressed, an investment I wish I'd made a long time ago.

I'm not sure that using power tools is ever really a pleasure but using this is much less of a chore. :)

Just a quick one , and a bit of a boring one... but i have to , as it's an open forum.

I'm sure you've done this lots of times... But do take care with vibrating tools such as this one.

Though the manufacturers may state a certain degree of due diligence by reducing harmful vibration etc .
It's all just fud ...

The truth is , you should take breaks often , especially with this type of sander....
(5 mins every 20 )

You said you used it for a couple of hours?
Apologies in advance , as I'm not a H&S nut by any means , but do take it steady bud!

As soon as you start feeling that tingling and numbness on your hand , stop. Boil the kettle , make a brew ! Or just do something else for 5 minutes.
Change hand , and continue.

White finger (HAVS) i think its called is a serious condition. There is no cure, no remedial operation and it's permanent.
Irreversible.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/VIBRATION/hav/

I bought expensive gloves (£80) years ago to extend exposure time to these toolsand others , but even those gloves don't work miracles.
Taking a break is the only way to avoid it.

So sorry to mention this , but i feel its necessary .
Those Sanders are comfortable enough to use for hours on end , but doing so is a risky affair .

Hope it helps...
And again , sorry if I sound condescending or like a Health and safety nut...
I don't mean to...

All the best

👍👍

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
An excellent point. White finger is a awful condition, my Dad had it and before another industrial disease finished him off he could hardly feed himself. I made a KFS set for him with huge ribbed wooden handles which helped he said.

Do other folk use them much on metal work?, I've been getting good results with old school emery cloth and various grades of wet and dry with just a litle bit of oil to lubricate for several years.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE