DD Hammocks Krab Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 7, 2008
Ireland
Have recently bought a DD Travel Hammock and was about to carry out the Krab mod, detailed in Chainsaws excellent Blog of March 2008.

I chickened out on two counts.

Somewhere I’ve read that 30cm, is the recommended length for the loops through the end channels of the hammock. Utilizing the black webbing and using a single fisherman’s knot, a cursory glance suggests its doable, but mighty tight. What’s the consensus on the optimum length for the loops.

My other minor concern, is what effect if any, does the gathered ends have on the ability of the hammock to function as a bivi.

Any advice would be appreciated

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
<Insert blush smiley>

As long as you want but remember the karabiners must be under the tarp edge and/or out of the rain or they wont work as drip rings so depends how big your tarp is.

As for the gathering at the ends, your head and feet aren't as wide as your body but again depends how long you are! :D I thought about putting fixed loops at the ends of the hammock tape loops (does that make sense...?) rather than a fishermans and then you could slip one off the Krab when you were ground dwelling??? That work???

HTH

Alan

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Excellent question Bod I have the same hammock and was messing around with it in the garden the other day it works excellent has a bivi on the ground under the tarp. Also I was thinking of shortening the loops for a krab type mod my thoughts are that if you shorten the loops you would be unable to pull the corners of the bivi flat for ground use. It could still be used on the ground but would have fabric bunched up all over. I am going to have a play and maybe shorten them to 2 loops at the fullest extent which would enable it to be used on the deck. Then for tree use pull it tight put an over hand not on the bite and krab it from there it would just leave the loops hanging. but it would be a faff undoing the knots all the time. I will see what other people say someone may have come up with a good solution,

HTH

Andy

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
My loops are fine using Chainsaw's method and I have ground dwelled using them as well, mind you I am a short person:D

myddhammockandtarpsetup.jpg

Nov 7, 2008
Ireland
Chainsaw, my tarp is an Aiguille Expedition 2.92 x 2.92m, so no big loops of webbing unless the tarp is pitched on the diagonal. I try to avoid diagonal pitching as it is difficult to get a decent set . I am 6’ tall and could probably fit on a ground bivi setup with gathered ends

If I understand (and I don't understand much) the concept, we are essentially talking about are knotted or sewn loops at each end of a short pieces webbing which run through the end channels. For ground dwelling slip the Krab off one loop each end, fluff out the gathers, lovely oblong bivi.

Other results, short unanchored pieces of webbing in the end channels. Difficulty in rethreading.

It might be feasible to attach a length of cord to one loop at each end to act as an anchor and pull through. When you need to go hanging again, pull the loop through the channel, krab on, repeat other end. Leave cord on loop, daisy chain for storage.
Downside, Don't know how much wear and tear this would cause to the end channel stitching.

scrogger, your system is beautifully simple and will work well if you can find a knot that wont jam under load.

Jim

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive replaced my dd travel hammock tape with climbing tape leaving about 12 inches either side when in the ground bivi mode(enough to make loops to peg down) then i just gather up the excess and knot round the carabiner when in hammock mode.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
I've adopted Chainsaw's mod using climbing rope through the hammock and tying off with a double fisherman's knot but leaving a decent tale on it to allow ground use(i.e to lengthen the rope). The tail just hangs down when in hammock mode, acting as a secondary drip along with the krabs. works just fine. regarding the loop length, i just tied it together using the fishermans knots and the length required to get the knots to tie without being houdini have worked fine. spent a week in it in the Lakes (not the whole week - lol) and enjoyed some top sleep.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I modded my old style DD hammock when I first got it and swear by it, but this year I purchased a new style travel hammock from the Sandbag47 group buy for my son. I took the new one out in the rain a couple times and decided not to mod it. With the waterproof base and a tarp up I didn't think it was really necessary. Has anyone has any moisture wick into their hammock with the new fabric yet?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE