Day Jobs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I train and assess in project, programme and risk management for large organisations.

:borgsmile

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Oooh ... potentially rough stuff work. Too many people don't realize the mental stress/worry about a wrong calculation when working with structures. Everything seems fine until they find "cracks" in the bridge or it collapses. Then everything jumps back to how it was designed and engineered. It's a ... concern ... of a level that few people ever have to think about.
Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I find the cracks. Kinda annoys the welders and inspectors though.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just started my own IT support company with a good friend and colleague. Never been so broke or stressed but never been so happy :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
By 'The Same Organisation' i'm assuming it's the same one i'm leaving next February? Limited clothing choice? (blue / green & brown / biege), varying climates, travel?:rolleyes:

That organisation has served me well for the last 24 years (as i have it) but, as you say, it's changing and so am i so i leave 'officially' next Feb but start University next month training to be a................Social Worker! Seems my R to I experience enhances communication skills!:D

Going to be tough with a wife, two young 'un's and a mortgage, but thats what your pension is for eh?

You would be right!

I'm seeing more and more people doing complete 180s with their resettlement and move away from the more traditional plumber/gas engineer (sorry Spamel! :D )/sparky/bricky courses. I did my CTW about 2 months ago and was quite surprised at the range of jobs people were looking at, from starting their own catering businesses to making wooden hurdles!!!

Ah, the pension - ohhhh yeshhh!

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Nothing bushcrafty at all.

I'm a Materials Engineer working for a major Gas Turbine manufacturing company.
Dealing with everything what enters the lab: Failure analysis, Production process development and improvement, Quality control, Materials choices, Purchasing support and so on and so forth... No real R&D work though, which is a shame, as that would have been interesting and fun to do.
Mostly a desk jockey job, but very rewarding, as it means doing work for all parts and aspects of the company, and puts me in contact with a lot of people.

/ Karl

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I'm a lecturer in Art & Design working mainly with access and NQ students, very challenging but rewarding when you get through to them,
jon

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Im a sicky for the past year n a bit, got something called M.E which is kinda depressing, but hey, im better than i was and without getting poorly id never have got a computer and so never have found this place. woop woop

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I work in TEFL - I work for one of Warsaw's biggest language schools teaching English (well, often just talking) to high profile people - company directors, prosecutors, HR directors etc.
Despite all these contacts it is still basically to get a job outside teaching for an Englishman here unless you have lots of management experience or work in a few very specific IT areas.
I don't mind the teaching too much but the schools are shockingly badly organised and you never know how much you'll earn from one month to the next.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I came out of the RAF in 02 and am still looking for something inspiring to do, have looked at possibly going for something in the archaeology field as I have dug an aweful lot of holes in my time, some with a spade and some with my mouth.:rolleyes:

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
IT Manager for a prominent consulting civil engineering partnership. I enjoy it most of the time, but it's quite stressful and demanding at times.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I'm a project manager for the UK division of a big american IT firm, all day in front of a computer working in an air-conditioned office under fluorescent light. Much rather be outside (until it starts raining!).

We run the HR/Payroll system for the NHS, and a bunch of NHS clinical systems.

I'm also supporting my wife while she completes a medicine degree, so not a lot of spare cash (or time!) around.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I glad to see the majority of people here have as boring and mundane a job as I do *runs and hides!*

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Canoe coach, river guide, Mencap relief support worker and sometime Expedition leader, gear reviewer for three magazines........and anything else I can get people to pay me for!
Great fun work but I have not earned enough to pay income tax on in the last 29 years and the week long holiday I will be taking in the South West in 2 weeks time is going to be the first holiday my wife and I have taken in over 20 years!
Love my work though!

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I'm a Project Manager as well. 10 years in mobile comms, now working for British Waterways; fixing things using your money!

Chris

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I no this is a very old thread but looks like fun!!!
As much as I would love to say I have a really cool outdoorsey type job unfortunately Im just a train driver for Greater anglia trains!! (formally national express, formally one, formally wagn!!)
Possibly the most boring job in the world!!
But, pays the bills and only working 35 hours over 4 days has its advantages!!
All the best
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE