Day Jobs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
my official title is "general labourer" but most refer to my role as dogs body....bi*ch basically. i work for a canoe hire/outdoor activity/bushcraft company. im qualified as a carpenter tho. wouldn't swap my job for anything....execept exactly the same job with a higher wage!!!

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Me too, i work in a demetia unit, im going to change my career once my kids are older, sadly too much red tape and paper work for me these days, im seeking a out doors job in my future,

Yep thats the sort of thing i want to do since after 17 years of nursing and being shafted by managers everytime i try to progress my career i've had enough.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Gamekeeper for the gas board*

*Actually I'm a subcontractor carpenter but every time I tell someone what I do they ask me to come round, measure up for a door, two bits of pipe boxing behind the toilet and how much discount do they get for cash. Then they tell me that the bloke next door can do it for a tenner less. Good on him, he's got the job.
Consequently I am giving the Gamekeeper for the gas board line a go, might stop them pestering me for stuff done cheap.

I know the feeling. Maybe I should try a similar tack.
Colin.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I fell into a Radiography degree after school, and fell into a job on the Isle Of Man X - raying careless / unlucky motorcyclists for a year or 2, but it wasn't really me.

I'm now an Air Traffic Controller, working in Aberdeen. If any of you guys and gals fly offshore, up here or down south it's likely I've got my beady eye on your heli while you're out there.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Canoe coach, river guide, Mencap relief support worker and sometime Expedition leader, gear reviewer for three magazines........and anything else I can get people to pay me for!
Great fun work but I have not earned enough to pay income tax on in the last 29 years and the week long holiday I will be taking in the South West in 2 weeks time is going to be the first holiday my wife and I have taken in over 20 years!
Love my work though!
How life changes ...
I have to add - Bushcraft Instructor, leather worker, labourer and knifemaker to the list now ... plus craftworker, author, clothing designer and sewing machinist ... which I left off the original list .... it is all (badly) paying work....

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I run a electrical firm which isnt too bad and im also lucky enough to have a lovely workshop in a very nice rural location on a historic farm dating to the 1500's were iv done a whole variaty of things some bushcraft related the down side is i never get time to go up there hopefully il make it more permenant one day.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
I'm a college lecturer in Countryside Management at an urban college in Leeds strangely enough. Love the teaching and most of the students but hate the paperwork and the college bureaucracy. Count myself lucky to have a job that pays me to play outside and get students excited in the natural world.

Great thread, glad it's been resurrected :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
yeah my site went down some time ago, if you are on facebook, I post my work under 'lindseys tats'

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
How life changes ...
I have to add - Bushcraft Instructor, leather worker, labourer and knifemaker to the list now ... plus craftworker, author, clothing designer and sewing machinist ... which I left off the original list .... it is all (badly) paying work....

Hi John, iv heard a bit about the book you wrote on budget bushcraft kit, where is it available mate and has anyone done a review on here? Or links to it!?
Cheers
Steve

sent by pigeon mail from my tree house

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Yep thats the sort of thing i want to do since after 17 years of nursing and being shafted by managers everytime i try to progress my career i've had enough.

Dont bother mate, im just as shafted hence wanting to get out while im still sane,

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I'm a multi millionaire in the adult film industry with a ferrari dealership and luxary boat company

oh no! wait! that was just a dream!! i'm on the spanners :(

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm retired. Now I have time to get outdoors on weekdays when all you folk are at work and stay home at weekends when you are all out. You'd be surprised how much more widlife is about when the countryside is emptier. I used to be a teacher. That meant I had to take holidays when everyone else did so it was hard to get away from it all. As for the freelance artist bit: this is what my wife does and is never likely to retire from it. For much of her adult life, apart from when bringing up our two sons, she had to work as a lecturer in Art History. She also ran courses to enable artists, writers, musicians and dancers to work in schools. Most of her students could be decribed as freelance, but all had an "angle" to supplement living from their art, hence their attendance on her course.

Have you looked at Wayland's site? He looks to me to have a dream job, but his site demonstrates a lot of skill, expertise and hard graft. And I bet he has a lot of admin to worry about.

When I was a student, one of my lecturers described the dream job as finding something you loved doing and then getting someone to pay you for doing it. David Beckham seems to be a man who cracked it.

Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE