Dave Budd tells us about managing and processing the Wood he needs...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Got an article just gone up in which Dave Budd tells us about managing his woodland and harvesting the wood he needs to make tools and craft items.

Link here - GETTING THE WOOD I NEED

handles-and-edge-covers-1000x520.jpg

old-ash-coppice-being-processed-for-bow-staves.jpg

loging-arch-and-mill.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Glad people liked the article. Although I don't earn anything from the woods in terms of woodland products, it's great to be able to use the material myself as far as I can.

I had a facebook conversation with another hippy/blacksmith friend the other day about being able to make the tools to carve a spoon from his own wood. I love the fact that not only do I make the tools to carve the spoons/bowls/plates that I eat my dinner with every day, but I also make the tools using charcoal from the trees. I use tools that I've made to cut and process those trees that I turn into charcoal too. A bit like looking at your reflection in a pair of mirrors: it just keeps on going in to infinity :D

on a side note, Tony changed the title a little. It was originally entitles "How I get wood". Can't think why it was changed?

Reactions: Robbi and Coldfeet

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i woud love to, if i had a spare few grand, level space and machinery to move big logs to it. I did look into them, but way out of my budget for the amount of use it would get! I've friends friends that hire them out, but it wouldn't be worth the effort effort for what is usually one tree a year, or a day of work tops.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
i woud love to, if i had a spare few grand, level space and machinery to move big logs to it. I did look into them, but way out of my budget for the amount of use it would get! I've friends friends that hire them out, but it wouldn't be worth the effort effort for what is usually one tree a year, or a day of work tops.
You need one of thoes nice draught horse thingies Dave. Nice a frame crane then you could send the logs to your mates instead

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE