Dartmoor October Meet ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I now have both the Brit and Amerkin Rat packs in my possession.

Has everyone spotted the predicted weather from hell due Sunday night and Monday? 80mph winds and torrential rain!!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Has everyone spotted the predicted weather from hell due Sunday night and Monday? 80mph winds and torrential rain!!

But looking on the Met Off pressure chart and MetCheck I can't see any sign of it. The winds do speed up a bit on Sunday but don't look mega. What is the BBC playing at now ???

I hope it's not hurricane on Sunday as I intend to drive down that morning and don't fancy the motorway if it is. The idjits are bad enough in good weather :rolleyes:.

Ivan, can I have a sheltered spot in the forest for my hammock please?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
We have the latest in weather prediction in Exeter, about 10-12 miles away, as the crow flies, which they spent 189,000 million pounds on! Or some such stupid figure, and the let the cleaner update the forecast at some ridiculous hour! I don't believe a word of it, we get what we get.

We are in a pretty sheltered spot, with plenty of undercover area, to do stuff, so hopefully if the twits at the met office are right, we should be ok.

And yes Elen, you know me sweetheart, i will personally ensure you a sheltered spot, really looking forward to spending some quality time in the woods with you, drive safe, and see you Sunday x

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor

Hi Matey, good news on the rat pack front, if you have room in your car, bring all of them with you as some of the punters are a bit shy! Think you will probably shift the excess.

Oh and the weather, bloody scaremongers, never has it rained at one of my meets!

Ivan...

Oh, do you know your day and eta, ish?

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
But looking on the Met Off pressure chart and MetCheck I can't see any sign of it. The winds do speed up a bit on Sunday but don't look mega. What is the BBC playing at now ???

I hope it's not hurricane on Sunday as I intend to drive down that morning and don't fancy the motorway if it is. The idjits are bad enough in good weather :rolleyes:.

Ivan, can I have a sheltered spot in the forest for my hammock please?

If there are 80mph winds the last place you want to be is in a forest in a hammock! :rolleyes:

I saw the storm story across the front page of one of the papers this morning. Others are now picking up on it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-worst-storms-1987-2488022

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...et-to-be-battered-by-80mph-winds-8901530.html

http://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...century-a-week-after-forecasting-huge-freeze/

It is probably nothing, a storm in a tea cup, it will all blow over!! Just thought it was a good idea to warn people just in case though. Hopefully the direction will change and the cheese munching surrender monkeys will get it instead. Oops, did I just offend someone?;)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Hi Matey, good news on the rat pack front, if you have room in your car, bring all of them with you as some of the punters are a bit shy! Think you will probably shift the excess.

Oh and the weather, bloody scaremongers, never has it rained at one of my meets!

Ivan...

Oh, do you know your day and eta, ish?

Yeah, I thought some were shy. I'll bring the lot down if some of the Amerkin ones don't go at Bisley Friday/Saturday.

I was planning on Sunday evening but I may drive down Monday morning in the hurricane, see how it goes. If they were predicting that no hurricane was going to hit like back in 1987, then I'd be worried. ;)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Cheese eating surrender monkeys? Don't think so monsieur! Coming by bike, don't forget the onions.

Love, Rost Biff!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We have the latest in weather prediction in Exeter, about 10-12 miles away, as the crow flies, which they spent 189,000 million pounds on! Or some such stupid figure, and the let the cleaner update the forecast at some ridiculous hour! I don't believe a word of it, we get what we get.

We are in a pretty sheltered spot, with plenty of undercover area, to do stuff, so hopefully if the twits at the met office are right, we should be ok.

And yes Elen, you know me sweetheart, i will personally ensure you a sheltered spot, really looking forward to spending some quality time in the woods with you, drive safe, and see you Sunday x

Ivan...

Ta, darlin'. Yes, I know the daft twits on TV - sigh! Had a boyfriend in the MO who worked at Chivenor when they still had Meat-Boxes and Nissen huts there (pre Ark days!) but nobody can read a pressure chart any more :rolleyes:. I'll probably drive like a bat out of hell as I can't wait to get down there again :), intend to set off fairly early on Sun and try to get there by 2pm or before if I can.

Didya see my post on fly agaric and chestnuts ???

Edit - just had another look at the pressure map, there's a nice little blip around midnight on Sunday then it clears away. The drive should be fine :)

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ivan ... are there any fly agaric anywhere near where we are? I've not been able to collect any this year yet so was hoping ...

And any sweet chestnuts left ???

OOH! It's been and still is mushroom and fungi heaven, but as you know they go pretty quickly, but i am sure i can find/show you some.

As for sweet chestnuts,WOW! A bumper crop this year, so no bother at all,how many wheelbarrow loads do you require?

See you Sunday arternooon!

Ivan...

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
So I'm planning on arriving tomorrow morning/afternoon-ish with the tribe. Length of stay depends how well behaved the dog, child and wife are ;)
Work have told me I have to have all week off (first time in 2.5 years I've had a whole weeks holiday)

Can we still park near to where we can set up camp? I've damaged my shoulder and don't think I can lug the SoulPad very far in my current state!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
So I'm planning on arriving tomorrow morning/afternoon-ish with the tribe. Length of stay depends how well behaved the dog, child and wife are ;)
Work have told me I have to have all week off (first time in 2.5 years I've had a whole weeks holiday)

Can we still park near to where we can set up camp? I've damaged my shoulder and don't think I can lug the SoulPad very far in my current state!

No problem, my friend depending on how wet it is, as to how close you can get, but there will be willing hands(shoulders) to lug the soulpad, to your desired location sir.

Ivan...

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi phil can ypou bring one of those american rat packs for me as ive never tried one whick do you think is the best one regards dave

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
No problem, my friend depending on how wet it is, as to how close you can get, but there will be willing hands(shoulders) to lug the soulpad, to your desired location sir.

Ivan...

Many thanks Ivan. I have a 4x4 so getting in and out shouldn't be a problem - I just don't want to rip up the ground and make it muddy for everyone.

Very much looking forward to it. Can't beat camping in a storm, so Sunday / Monday should be good!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
sorry wils, struggling with the pm thing.kids all gone,ready sat lunchtime, probably til mon morning. try to speak to you soon.

OK! Mate, i will pick you up at 12.00 midday, you useless article! Unless you hear any differently, so keep your phone with you, i hope nobody picks up on the Wils, thing.

Ivan...

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
I'd just like to state ****-a-lutely that my probable arrival on Tuesday has nothing to do with storm warnings or any of that kind of thing.
Our Norwegian Forest Cat (I'm told that the capitalisation is mandatory) needs his, err, thingies doing.

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE