Dartmoor Meet 1st to 3rd April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
There's bound to be a tractor to slow you down just enough............ :)

Hahaha defiantly! did you see top gear? JC raced from Lands end to the most easterly point racing the earth sun set to sun rise. he had to do it at night as its the only time he could have got along the A303 with out passing fifty caravans and ten tractor pulling poo!

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I too can't committ to anything between now and he 1st as away wit work or wo weekends so I have to spend the rest of the time with the GF or I won't have one come the 1st of April!

Will work like a trooper once there though! Nothing more rewarding then working the land off which you live (even if only for a weekend)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
both of which will last 8 hrs max with the GPS on... Good luck finding your way once the battery dies lol
GPS is great but you always need to have amap and compass as a backup!

very true re the battery life, I have always carried on as taught, that map and compass are the primary means of navigation, and if you need to check a fix and have lost confidence in you map skills then switch on your gps, get a fix, then switch it off,
prolongs the battery life, and increases your confidence in your own ability to navigate with maps. also who doesn't love the smell of a freshly unfolded map! eh EH, oh OK just me. sorry.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
very true re the battery life, I have always carried on as taught, that map and compass are the primary means of navigation, and if you need to check a fix and have lost confidence in you map skills then switch on your gps, get a fix, then switch it off,
prolongs the battery life, and increases your confidence in your own ability to navigate with maps. also who doesn't love the smell of a freshly unfolded map! eh EH, oh OK just me. sorry.

If i unfold any of my maps they usually smell old and damp... not the nicest smell lol TBH now a days i use GPS for ease of use, specifically if I am doing a lightweight trek where I need to cover a lot of ground quickly or mountain biking (i just take spare batteries) but considering the number of years i have used map and compass i'm not going to forget any time soon!

We can alweays organise a map and compass exercise/ hike... make it quite small but with compass/map work, myb a couple of groups and set off in alternative directions - meet in the middle etc. Kids mght enjoy it... especially if we use coordinates and have to map the course out first!

I can always print/photocopy some maps and bring a few compasses.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
I went for a solo jolly across Dartmoor a couple of years ago with the intention of only using map and compass.
However mid-morning on day two in driving horizontal rain with visibility down to about 30yrds, much to my surprise I found that the map no longer tallied with my surroundings..... *** I was certain I hadn't made a mistake, so I couldn't understand what was going on. After swearing at the map and the compass and some time passed, I decided to check position with the gps,
Well would you believe someone had gone and moved all the satellites... no really they had... that was the only explanation that made any sense, it couldn't be that I had made a mistake cos' I had been so careful hadn't I... well hadn't I?
Also at this time despite wearing all the weatherproof gear, the driving rain had got in everywhere and I mean everywhere.. and when I stopped I got cold and was shivering really quickly. So early signs of hypothermia, serious doo doo.
After five or ten mins of calling the gps all the bleepin' bleeps under the sun, I came to the realisation that I had made a mistake.... Oh how did that happen?
It turned out that one of my waypoints (which I thought was a unique feature) wasn't as unique as I thought.
Fortunately I did have the presence of mind to back track to a known point on my original route rather than compounding my error by trying to make a new route across unplanned territory.

It was a very valuable lesson in my own over confidence in the first place and denial in the face of overwhelming evidence that I was lost. Which is a common problem with people that are lost.
I survived but this situation could have gone really bad really quickly.
I was lucky. but lessons learned. :togo:

ps. the next day was blazing sunshine (tee shirt weather) everything went as clockwork.

Feb 6, 2011
none
i have lived here all my life so think i know it pretty well, but last year up ther without suitable attire etc the weather turned in about 15 mins to a pea souper and i lost my bearings , first thing keep calm , but i couldnt see my hand infront of my face , therefore i couldnt see my usual familiar points ,more luck than judgement and having been up ther hundreds of times ,coupled with i recognised certain lumps of granite hawthorn/rowan bushes etc , i got home safely, but lesson learned and clean underwear upon arrival home thankyou !!

ps dont let that put anybody off !

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
for teaching map and compass I'd only feel comfortable taking ppl out of the camp area in fair weather...
I've had the fortunate experience of walkig over dartmoor year after year, being involved in ten tors and DofE training as well as search and rescue opps on Dartmoor but at the end of the day it is just fun.

I've endedup wading through rivers on Dartmoor in Jan through getting lost, camping in woods cos we couldn't navigate any further and a few other experiences.

That's one of the amazing things about Dartmoor, much like the ocean, you have to respect it constantly... the moment you don't or think you know better it reminds you who is boss!

I love how Dartmoor can go from a sunlit paradise to what seems like hell on earth within a mater ofminutes and yo can easily see why it has been the inspiration of such powerful literacy and artwork.

Anyway it is an option... if the weather does not look too good then we can demonstrate it at the camp and run throug it with people but there is nothing like experiencing the moor first hand.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2011
none
Hi everyone, was just having a good look at the North Wood write ups and photos, if we can have that kind of fun it will be amazing, the site is starting to look very spring like and the Dartmoor ponies i put in there for a week have done a good job of clearing old brambles etc, but a week was long enough they had started to have a go at the rowan bark , and develop little paths about the place , im glad no one was about watching me trying to get them out , i wouldnt make a very good cowboy! little sods, Anyway if anyone wants me to get anything heavy /awkward or coz they dont have time let me know i can organise it for arrival, or if you are contemplating bringing something i might already have it. One final thing as you know i am not very tech , so those of you that are, please bring cameras etc we want loads of photos ,thanks .

cheers, bring it on . Ivan

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hello Campers! Ivan I was just sorting my kit out( slow day for a house husband(hmm I must have forgotten to do something?)), and I was wondering what the rules and guidelines for your woods are?

Am I allowed to have a fire at my camp spot? if so would you want it in a fire pit/tray, stove?

I know you said the water in the stream services a couple of cottages, but are you OK with me collecting water from the stream?

would you rather I brought wood for my fire?(it being allowed withstanding)?

just wondering as I have to much time on my hands at the Mo,

Had all my kit out last night and even set up my hammock/jungle bag under quilt and tarp, in the hall, just for a play( and for pics for the Blackberry messenger collective) . feeling very excited!!

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
got to say I am looking forward to chilling in my hammock reading a book in the outdoors it's been a few months and spring is in the air so need to get out!

Feb 6, 2011
none
Good afternoon Lord Southey,you can have a fire wherever you like sir , no need to bring firewood i have a plenty, and you have license to draw as much water as you need, i have a couple of smaller fire pits ready to go , on a first dibs basis, but depending on where you are in the wood , might not be required , i would just like to keep the 2 main areas tidy , atb Ivan..

Feb 6, 2011
none
Dont know what its like in your respective parts of the world ,but today here is stunning , i have emailed the met office in Exeter and said this will be fine for our little gathering,One thing i wiil own up to is i have never slept in a hammock and dont really want to spend if i dont like it (i change position a lot in the night ) so if anyone has a spare i would love to try it .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE