Dartmoor 4 " Return Of Te Wood Smoke "...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Jona, I think the plan is to do a pot of soup in the daytime (saturday) and smoke/roast some pork for the evening.... A brekkie will be thown together (Mandy kindly provided last time) on the sunday morning.

Feel free to have some when its done, keep some for later if you are not hungry at the time or just cook for yourself as and when. The group cooking is just to keep me away from sharpening, or setting fire to things!

I struggle to sit down at times, so like to keep focused (which cooking seems to keep me amused)

Regards, al.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
i have been looking at a DD hammock at around 45 quid then a tarp to go with it guess at a push around 70 quid

depends, my tarp was £60 on its own. the lite weight nylon tarps are not to usuable near camp fires, but a polycotton will set you back more.

i assume you can get polycotton hammocks too?

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I struggle to sit down at times, so like to keep focused (which cooking seems to keep me amused)

Regards, al.

LOL you and me both, a bit fo the old ADOS is it? (attention deficit oooo shiney) this lack of sitting also influences my eating..... eating means staying still... not enough time for that! ;)

Jon: I'm just gunna see what happens, I don't eat much usually anyway, so if it's about fair enough, if not, I'll knock up some porridge. Can always pop to the shop to grab some ingredients if needed.

Lucy: You don't need to spend a fortune on hammocks and associated parts. Yeah 40-50 would get you a 2.7m DD, with double layer, underblankets are easier to sleep with, but they are bulky to carry (about the same as a sleeping bag). All you need for the basics, is something like a Tenth wonder hammock (£14.99), a roll mat (cut to shape, so it doesn't slide around), some webbing straps (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-INCH-50...Supplies_MJ&hash=item1c1e8f490f#ht_1153wt_905), a couple of caribiners (to form a drip line) and a Tarp to throw over the lot.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
A double layer of what to put the mat inside? (I am so stupid sometimes must be because I am a woman)!

Double layer hammock... So the mat wont slide about/out.

I'll show you a set up with UQ and the rigging at the meet. I wish I could sleep on the floor, a trapped nerve decided for me though.

As adam pointed out, you could be up and running for £20. I spent a bit more as we winter hammock, and I'm hoping to get below the -8 we managed last year so its kind-of an investment for me, anyways!

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
im a ground dweller, use tents when on campsites and festies and the like (or when have family with me), in the woods i prefer just a tarp, groundsheet and bivvybag. feels more au natural to be that way. obviously zero security as all your kit is on show, but camped up with trusted bods as to be found at ivans, and all is well :)

thinking of doing a slight different tarp set up this time, more of a lean to and have a fire to keep me company overnight, temps are dropping so it will be welcome.

edit, TBL a dodgy back is the reason i dont hammock, need to move about a lot in sleep and just dotn feel able in a hammock, plus dont like to have my bottom lower than my head and feet. i do cheat a bit and use a doubled up thermarest :p

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Right - by the end of the next meet I will know the perfect set up - in time to brief family on what I want for my birthday! (not until Nov 16th so plenty of time).

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I had the pleasure of a Bivi on a 30 mile hike over wales March this year...
I loved the concept of being able to bed down in a matter of minutes, but my sleep was all over the place and it took me 20 mins to be able to sit up in the mornings :p

I'd do it again, but for a comfortable sleep system, the hammock wins hands down for me.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
i do have a mexican hammock, it will accomadate upto 10 people, we could do a group sleep..... back to swinging again :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE