daily use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
out of the bushcraft skills you have which do you find gets used most in day to day life as aposed to out in the wilds......
ill start.... having an open fire i find feather sticks are most usefull and use this method over fire lighters or the likes
lee

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
Craft skills such as carving and leather work. I find that making things rather than buying them is more satisfying and often more effective than buying stuff. Usually works out cheaper;)

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Knowing what clothing and footwear to wear in many differing climes. Think it's great and am really getting better at it. It makes everything else so much more enjoyable when ur comfortable.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Knots! You can never find too many uses for a bit o' string.

And when I go to a certain persons house - sharpening. I really hate using a knife as blunt as a spoon to cut food.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
That's a good question.
To be honest, in my everyday life, very few bushcraft skills are used or relevant. In my everyday life I don't need to light a fire, I don't need to tie knots, I don't need to identify trees, I don't need to use an axe, I don't need to craft leather, I don't need to build shelters. I only tend to do those things in a bushcraft context.
I suppose the only really tangible way bushcraft affects and informs my everyday life is in the way I look and think about things. Which is quite intangible, really.

I to initially thought like durulz, but then I tie my shoelaces, I observe many things that wouldnt normally,and I ask myself what can I use that for, I notice tinder everywhere,
I look around and see loads of wild edibles

My daughters and I have started having wild edibles as part of our normal food once a fortnight, I sharpened all our kitchen Knives where as before i took them to a cobler to get sharpened.

so loads realy

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
I to initially thought like durulz, but then I tie my shoelaces, I observe many things that wouldnt normally,and I ask myself what can I use that for, I notice tinder everywhere,
I look around and see loads of wild edibles

My daughters and I have started having wild edibles as part of our normal food once a fortnight, I sharpened all our kitchen Knives where as before i took them to a cobler to get sharpened.

so loads realy

working in grounds maintenance i use some other skills like knots and plant and fungi id (although im not to good at that one) being able to 'see' through the undergrowth comes in handy too. of occassion i get to try and id animal tracks and holes/dens but thats a rare one. tinder and wood (not just for fire) collection is another skill i get to partake in. will be interesting to see what other bushcraft skills ill get to practice at work this year
lee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE