cycle bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Back from the Italian Alps. Not so much bushcraft this time, but managed a wee bit. Bivvied three times, using the hammock again (me) or a hooped goretex bivvybag (Tom, my colleague). Refinement based on experiences in 2006: used a Thermarest "Ultralight" as well this time; I found in 2006 that I got very cold at the sleeping bag compression spots in the hammock above about 1200 m or so and couldn't sleep. Thermarest worked better than expected as it did its insulating job alright, and yet didn't slide around all over the place as I thought it would. I carried it in a bottle cage like this one:

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bottle-Cages/ModulaCage

When set at its "wide bottle" setting, you can get the Thermarest into it. I secured it round the top of the mat and the seat tube with a spare toestrap as well, but it would probably have stayed put without it. This means that my entire bivvying cycle kit fits in a saddlebag - no need for rack and panniers.

The Karrimor petrol stove choked with soot on the third bivvy, so we even managed to get a real fire in there as well. Unfortunately I'm too thick to work out how to post pictures on this forum.

s.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm getting a new bike tomorrow for just that very reason. herself is on night shift on Friday so i might go off on one then. :)

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
Well, glad there's some others around . Beginning to think I was a bit sad. Cycle bushcrafting is great. Would be intrested in other websites. CTC doesn't work, more to be had stealth camping adj to lowland long distance footpaths,cycleways.
Crowe

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
just got my trek 4300 its wicked. folks are wondering why i got an MTB instead of a hybrid, obviously the MTB gets you off the beaten track into stealth camping sites much more easily, I can't wait to try it proper. It deserves to be muddy. :cool:

I knew there was a thread on cycling somewhere, I spotted it as a lurker!
I wanted to chip in about a trailer I fancied, seems ideal to me and if I take to this bushcraft malarky I might just go the MTB route later.

I have no association with the following.

It is called the "extrawheel"

Seen here
and on Utube here

I have a pedelec {groan} and considered one of these to carry camping kit etc for weekends away, however, as is pretty obvious, pedelecs and camping are not good companions ;) hence I'd need to change my bike.

I thought it may aid some to do their bushcraft by bicycle.
Anyone used one? or know anyone that has?

Rab

Jun 8, 2009
Smokey town
Doing a mountain bike and bivvy trip this weekend, although we won't be lighting any fires. Around 70 to 80km of riding with a nice hill top bivvy to split the distance. Should be lots of fun!

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I am amazed no one has come up with a Recliner trike, for offroad/traveling.

You should be able to take a bike anywhere something else has gone before you. A mountain bike should be able to go anywhere a horse, or 4X4 can with no problems.

A mountain bike can get far more places than a horse or a 4x4. Have you ever tried carrying a horse over a style?

The key to enjoying biking and wild camping is to keep your s%$t to an absolute minimum. It's no fun crashing up and down the hills with panniers full of gear. Much better to wear a small backpack and zip over the mountains on a well maintained cross country MTB.

Carrying the load as opposed to loading the bike raises a few questions.

How long do you consider going away on the bike for (bushcrafting) and what do you consider a minimum of kit?

I have bought myself a 65L rucksack with back system and I wouldn't want to cycle with that on.
I have a couple of small rucksacks, the standard small one folks walk about town with on ....... say15L? Can't see me getting my tarp/sleeping bag/hammock/cooking kit and essentials in there, never mind clothes/grub/wet weather kit etc let alone cycle with all that on my back even if I could make it fit.

I'd sure lose a lot of weight :D

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I managed to carry all I needed for a 5 day summer trip around the peak district, in a 35lt rucksack (plus a small tool bag under the saddle). It's doable if you take the bare minimum and are prepared to buy provisions along the way.

I wouldn't recommend carrying anything bigger than a 35lt sack, otherwise the weight will make you very saddle sore, especially off road.

I really recommend avoiding panniers if you can. They mess up a bikes handling off road and mean you can't ride many of the technical trails you would otherwise. Panniers are also unsuspended mass adding to the wear on your bike.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE