Custom or not?

Hi all. I'm curious and have been meaning to ask this for some time. Just never really got around to it. You guys use knives. I'm not talking about the EDC that goes with today's outfit and might open a box or two, slice some cheese and sausage. I mean really use. Here in SA it's mainly the hunter that's popular. You guys, seems to be the bush craft style with scani grind.
Now I assume the scani grind bushcraft is popular because of certain individuals that pushed it and touted it's merits, but would like to know what the average guy who uses his knife thinks about this.
Also, how many think custom is better or cheap factory is better? And if a well made custom was available at a fair price would that be a viable option. I know knives are an individual choice but it's always nice to do a little ground work before thinking out future designs.
Me? My favorite is the Swede lock back. Have always been a fan of lock backs and since the swede was pointed out to me I love it.

Cheers
Tim

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Tim,

Its good to see you over here, I've been admirer of your work over on BB. I have mostly "custom" blades not many of them, but a few different styles. I like the scandi type knife.
My current favourites are a one off, that is similar to a bushtool made by JLT, a Bernie Garland re-curve bushy & a Bernie Garland scandi Nesmuk. One thing I find is that a scandi is easy for me to sharpen, & I prefer 3mm.
The custom or semi custom route suits me as I find that most knives have a handle to small for me, I don't have huge hands, but just like a bit more room in the handle. Both the JLT & the BG bushy were made for me & have handles that suit, the nesmuk I got second hand, I like the blade shape, but do find the handle on the short side.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob

I like scandi grind because its easy to keep sharp.
custom is nice especially if its one to your own special wants.
like my hillbill m.o.r.a. it ticks all my boxes.
scandi grind.
full tang.
yew handle
not massive handle.
decent weight but not heavy-i don't use a knife regularly so I haven't the strongest wrists and find some knives (woodlore for example) are too heavy for a lot of use sporadically followed by no use for several months.
gift from better half.

pocket knife wise I flit between a sak farmer mainly for the tools it comes with along side the blade. A tbs boar which covers almlst all the above criteria. Ar full tang and a joker which is nice light and simple but not scandi grind

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I use a full flat since 2008 after having used scandi for 20 odd years. It does more than a scandi can without being as prone to chipping when contacting with harder surfaces. I use it in all climates and terrains as a utility knife. I went custom in 2004 after deciding a slightly fatter handled knife with a wider blade would be more suited to my needs. You can read the full story by clicking on the banner below.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I use scandi's because they, I feel, are the best for wood work such as battoning, feather sticking and making things for camp like tent pegs. The downfall of a scandi to me is food prep- but a higher grind and a thinner bladed scandi is still very capable of most food prep tasks and does it very well. Custom is always better. I started of with factory knives, then started using knives labelled 'handmade' some more handmade more than others. Then recently I have two 'custom' knives- a Mark Hill and a Rob Evans. They are superb bits of kit and I love them dearly- to be honest bar a few exception (mainly folders) I'll be going custom as much as I can- not that I need any more knives but hey. I think they tend to be the best quality and you choose what you want- just makes that more personal. :)

Edit: I've recently had a Joel Delorme nessmuk in trade and that's convex- I love it. Sort of midway between a scandi and a flat grind if that makes sense? Anyhow it's a great bit of kit! :)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Tim!

Rarely an hour goes by that I don't reach for a knife - I'm a homesteader (peasant). There are many knives i use and abuse but here are some things worth mentioning

To be carried anywhere off the homestead "without good reason" (that is without a specific purpose) a knife here must have a cutting edge under 3" and be non locking and folding. My current EDC for that purpose is a Trevor Ablett twin blade.

I use knives for crude tasks - hacking and prying, levering off tin lids etc. I use a Bahco wrecking knife for this

I use a multitude of Moras for trapping and working

Abused Knives by British Red, on Flickr

I have custom knives I use for hunting and bushcrafting - notably the PFK and custom Puukko

PFK by British Red, on Flickr

puukko 2 by British Red, on Flickr

and yes, I abuse them too :eek:

PFK Now by British Red, on Flickr

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I use a full flat since 2008 after having used scandi for 20 odd years. It does more than a scandi can without being as prone to chipping when contacting with harder surfaces.....

And I suspect that's the easiest edge to resharpen.

Thanks guys. This kind of feed back is always helpful. The scandi grind has always intrigued me but I have never seen, used or done one. I know very few makers here in SA that do them.Flat or hollow? Each has there own place and purpose and truthfully one knife is really never enough is it?:) me personally, I would carry a small 3" drop point full flat grind, a lock back (hollow or flat) depending on it's size though I find that a hollow grind is more suited to a thinner blade if slicing is the objective. And of course the ever present axe and saw. I am not partial to using a knife to chop unless you really have to. That's why a 3" drop point with a 3.5mm spine and full flat grind is a good choice for me. Small enough to do everyday tasks and thick enough to withstand the occasional beating.

That British red is a beaut! And nice to see it used. I hate drawer queens, but they have there place, such as paying my bills:lmao: being a full time knifemaker:)

What I have been thinking for some time is doing a o1 or N690 version of this one:

A full flat grind satin finish to 240# and micarta handle with a basic sheath with firesteel loop for around £50.00. I first did this shape in a FF and liked it so much I did a full tang in Damascus. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Now that being all said the sad truth is I seldom own a knife:( But that's changing soon. My personal swede lockback is almost done! Forged the crushed W's last week, got some desert iron now must just get it done.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a mix of types. My most used are from Bison Bushcraft and have a flat scandi grind which I sharpen on bench stones at home and touch up with a little Arkansas stone when out. I love the handle shape and the knife just works very well for me, sharpens well and the grind does well on most tasks I set to it. It's also part of a trio I use and has a little showing off value I guess.

I also use a Gene Ingram number 2 drop point which I sharpen with a lansky setup - the clamp, guide and sharpeners on rods. It's a great great knife but I don't think it works as well for woodcraft as my Bison knives. I still love it though and will never sell it.

Those are custom knives and have the associated costs... I love them and care about them.

Mora knives are what I reach for at home to do things, they're sharp, reliable and the quality is off the chart given their price, they're such a great knife. I love them but don't care about them.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its nice, but, for me, I would need more point on such a small knife.

I love a small fixed blade, don't get me wrong. They are known as "bird and trout" knives here (but rabbit and pigeon is more accurate to my use of them)

The two I use the most are the bottom two here

Knives by British Red, on Flickr

I designed the top one - and the bottom is FGYTs take on the PFK above it (scaled down). I actually use the FGYT one more than my design - it has more more point which is better for dressing small game.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
For me.l like my f1 for camp tasks such as tent pegs n fire lighting .it batons through timber like butter.were it falls short is a the more delicate tasks food prep n what not.slowly but surely I'm getting too the point.i think more blades like these should come with a smaller piggy back blade for the lighter duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangely enough we had a chat at our club meet a few months back and some pro hunters came along. The consensus at the end was that a small B&T was the preferred knife by serious hunters. The preferred a narrow blade with a sharp point for skinning and cutting up game but with a 3mm spine for heavier work. The drop point may be pushed as the perfect skinning/hunting knife but most hunters say otherwise. Also handle shape was important. It must be comfortable in a forward and reverse grip so no knobbly bits at the back end.

Thanks gentlemen. Appreciate this input.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
My piggyback set up.

Goes everywhere with me whenever I'm out and about, camping, fishing, does everything I want and more.

WP_000432.jpg

WP_000430.jpg

Just click on the images for a larger view

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
Tim,

Interesting to get the perspective from SA.

My take on factory vs custom is it depends on who's making the custom knife and to what design. There are a lot of custom makers in the UK who produce woodlore clones and other knives in popular and common patterns. Many are nicely made, but no better than a factory equivalent. For example, TBS make a range of factory knives which are significantly cheaper than a lot of custom knives and are as good, or better, than many.

In my view, if you're going to pay custom prices you need to get something better, in terms of both design and build quality, than is available off the peg.

Cheers,

Bob

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Strangely enough we had a chat at our club meet a few months back and some pro hunters came along. The consensus at the end was that a small B&T was the preferred knife by serious hunters. The preferred a narrow blade with a sharp point for skinning and cutting up game but with a 3mm spine for heavier work. The drop point may be pushed as the perfect skinning/hunting knife but most hunters say otherwise. Also handle shape was important. It must be comfortable in a forward and reverse grip so no knobbly bits at the back end.

Thanks gentlemen. Appreciate this input.

Couldn't agree with this more Tim.

I have various custom knives that have been used over the years, but they can't do a lot more than my Mora 510.

A lot of it is to do with pride of ownership, using something special that you have commissioned yourself, or been given as a gift, only adds to the pleasure of the hunt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE